PDA

View Full Version : no clutch or gears

panther
12th March 2013, 04:19 PM
hi everyone , i was down town today & when i went to come home i had no clutch. i topped up the oil & it was running out from between the engine & the gearbox. now the gear stick just slops around also. anyone got any ideas ? :frown:

boots
12th March 2013, 07:04 PM
So did you top up the gearbox with oil or did you top up the clutch master cylinder with brake fluid ?

panther
12th March 2013, 07:16 PM
i topped up the engine oil & noticed it leaking between the engine & the gearbox. i have just had it towed home & have noticed all the clutch fluid has run out of the cylinder which was full the other day when i checked everything

taslucas
12th March 2013, 07:22 PM
What engine and transmission mate? How fast is the engine oil running out? Does the clutch have feeling after topping up the clutch fluid?

Dominator
12th March 2013, 07:26 PM
Sounds like your clutch slave cylinder is leaking.

boots
12th March 2013, 07:29 PM
Well panther it sounds like you've done a rear main oil seal on the engine . All that oil leaking has maybe damaged your clutch componentary.

taslucas
12th March 2013, 07:49 PM
Well panther it sounds like you've done a rear main oil seal on the engine . All that oil leaking has maybe damaged your clutch componentary.

yep that sounds right but does it explain a loose/sloppy gearstick?

Dales300exc
12th March 2013, 07:54 PM
Could be the bush in the top of the gearbox just coincidentally broken. Pretty sure its just a plastic bush. Lost mine when i had the gearbox out the second time haha. Still drives fine. Just sloppy

panther
12th March 2013, 08:33 PM
have to get clutch fluid tomorrow as its 8pm here. i will top it up and bleed it & see what happens. as for what transmission & engine i can tell u its a 5 speed manual & engine is a turbo diesel. if you need any other details i will have to look at the vehicle tomorrow. i will post what happens when i have put clutch fluid in. thanks everyone for your input

panther
13th March 2013, 08:30 PM
thanks to everyone for your valued input. turns out it was the clutch slave cylinder leaking & all the other oil was what had squirted out from the dust cover boot on the slave cylinder. what a job that was , you need rubber arms to get your hands up in some of them spots lol. once again this site has saved my butt & a lot of money :)

boots
13th March 2013, 08:55 PM
Glad it was only minor panther . happy motoring once more .

MQ MAD
22nd March 2013, 10:12 PM
If the rubber boot on the slave cylinder is stuffed, don't just replace the rubber boot, the slave cylinder bore is stuffed
Throw a new slave cylinder in
Its a common ploblem as the boot gets damaged over time and stuff gets in the slave cylinder bore,like grit,dirt ect and scores the bores and the fluid leaks past the slave cylinder piston
That cheap new, throw the old one out,throw a new one in .....
Something else to watch also, with time the master cylinders get stained,and can look full from the outside but can be empty on the inside, good check take the lids of ,frequently and check