PDA

View Full Version : Newnes - Pipeline track. Where is it?

Waka
12th March 2013, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I have been 4wding in the Newnes area plenty of times over the years but I have never found the famous Pipeline Track. Does anyone know exactly where abouts it is? I have given google a floggin trying to find any info on its exact location. I've seen plenty of youtube vids but no details as to exactly whereabouts it is.

I've done the wombat holes, power lines and Spanish steps etc...but not Pipeline. Or maybe I've driven it and didn't know it?

I'm sure someone on here would be able to give me directions.

cheers,

Wayne

rkinsey
12th March 2013, 01:33 PM
Hi Waka,

Apparently it is a walking track between Glen Davis and Newnes itself.

Have a look here - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkWalking.aspx?id=N0051

Directions: from the Capertee camping area at Newnes follow the river downstream on the same side. The start of the track is signposted and is around 100m past Petries Gully on the northern side of the river. You will see some stone steps, follow them up to the top of the escarpment. Follow the track for a further 5km down Green Gully to Glen Davis, keeping to the left at the fork. Some sections of this track are easily obscured by vegetation regrowth, so a map and compass are essential

Cheers,

Rob

BillsGU
12th March 2013, 03:44 PM
Yep - I agree with RK. The Pipeline walking track is the only one I know of.

Waka
12th March 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm not so sure. Type "pipeline track Newnes" into YouTube and see the action. And I'm pretty sure Graham (4wd Action) did it in one of their DVDs.
Waka

BillsGU
12th March 2013, 09:49 PM
I have looked at the maps of the area and the walking track is the only one I can find. If you find another one I would like to know about it so I can drive it next time I'm up there.

DSzuke
12th March 2013, 10:31 PM
The Pipeline Track I'm familiar with is a short section close to Lithgow.

You literally drive up an old pipe like a rock step, hence the name.

Most of the u-Tube vids appear to be that track.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/56.jpg

If you can pick it, it is only a couple kms out of lithgow on the glow worm rd.

Waka
13th March 2013, 09:51 PM
I think I have located it. It comes off the Beecroft track from Lidsdale and hooks up with Blackfellows hand road.

Waka

Waka
29th March 2013, 04:03 PM
Going up there tomorrow. I'll post some pics and a report

TiPatrol
26th April 2013, 07:26 AM
How did you go?

NissanGQ4.2
27th April 2013, 08:29 AM

Hi mate, do you have GPS coordinates? Just had a quick look on Google Earth and cant find it

Cheers

Toddie

DSzuke
28th April 2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not real flash at Google Maps but see if this link helps.

The middle of the track is here (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215932977236618994902.0004db69629802309d17 8&msa=0&ll=-33.444674,150.182805&spn=0.002453,0.004093)

The co-ords are about...

There was talk about it being off Beecroft FT which is a fair way from where I placed it. I could be totally wrong! :redface:

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks mate, I will be able to work off that :)

TiPatrol
29th April 2013, 05:29 AM
The middle of the track is here (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215932977236618994902.0004db69629802309d17 8&msa=0&ll=-33.444674,150.182805&spn=0.002453,0.004093)

The co-ords are about...

I went there yesterday, it's a pretty hard track unless you have a lift and massive tyres. Mine's stock. There are about 3 pipes I noticed laying along the track so I assume that's why they call it that.

If you start from the Glow Worm Tunnel Rd, you'll tackle half way easy but then the massive ruts will make you go back. If you start from the other side, the ruts are a bit deeper but doable and you'll get to the section where there's a little track to the north, just before the huge ruts, and it's the better option for stock setups like mine.

The track north of that one, immediately above, is fairly easy to do. From the Glow Worm Tunnel Rd, you'll do the climb and descent the opposite way (obviously).

hekarewe
29th April 2013, 10:13 PM

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/56.jpg

DSzuke your spot on with the pipe line also known as "hills to now where" if you dont want to damage your truck DONT do it and take my advice i have done this track on many occassions when i still lived in sydney dont try and drive down always go up this track its the only safe to do it be prepared for some road building about half way up this track at the big step and directly after it is a sharp rock with point on it that is sill hight an has opened cars like tin cans last time i did this track was easter last year i have add links to the in car cam i use showing how bad it was last year when i did it the landcruiser i was with lost all his guard and farings on the right hand side when he climbed it. i found the easy way to find this track is head toward the glow worm tunnel rd from zig zag, when you get to the glow wirm tunnel rd turn left and follow untill you start heading down the pass to lithgow you will come around a tight left hand bend with a parking area/clearing on the right look hard left and you will see the track turn hard left and be in 4wd as you will wheels of the ground with in the first couple of meters or it was like that last time i was there as you enter it you will see a track in front of you with a rock step and the main track will turn right follow it around to the right walk it first and watch the wash outs at the top oh yes and GOOD LUCK!!!!
post up some footage if you do it

http://youtu.be/07foO0nN-pM

http://youtu.be/kAgteT7UrpE

http://youtu.be/OfBbfKbnNLQ

DSzuke
30th April 2013, 11:42 AM
Love the vids there hekarewe! especially the 80's music mix!

I haven't tried it in my (still) stock Patrol but drove it many times in my Vit. I need some lift and sliders before I go back there!

I've never even considered driving down it!? That would be fun!

Remmy
4th June 2013, 08:27 PM
thanks for the vids and how did you get up on the second video?

Cheers

Remmy

hekarewe
4th June 2013, 08:40 PM
thanks for the vids and how did you get up on the second video?

Cheers

Remmy

road building with diff locks and lift kit i still had to build up the road to get the bum up ove the step as well as the other guys fun fun love that track

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2013, 09:07 PM
road building with diff locks and lift kit i still had to build up the road to get the bum up ove the step as well as the other guys fun fun love that track

I think your going to have to come down and show us NSW boys how to do it :)

hekarewe
4th June 2013, 09:22 PM
I think your going to have to come down and show us NSW boys how to do it :)

what you dont know how to put rocks in front of tyres and build a ramp?????? LOL

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2013, 09:34 PM
what you dont know how to put rocks in front of tyres and build a ramp?????? LOL

I own a GQ I don't need to build a ramp with rocks to get over a rock *LMAO* You know what I meant

hekarewe
4th June 2013, 09:55 PM
i am actully think of going down there next year maybe around easter and do it all again but this time no busted sidewalls and go into do the spanish steps used to do these tracks with the old pajero f!cked the sills om those tracks but lots of fun

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2013, 10:23 PM
Cool, hopefully I will have my GQ back on the road by than :)

hekarewe
4th June 2013, 10:45 PM
not written in stone yet depends on what sort of interest i can mustar up here for people keen enough to follow me last year out of everyoe who said they were interested one one turned up for it

and i had to carry half his LC back in the roof racks

crazyenough
11th June 2013, 12:51 PM
I hit Newnes on Monday and had a ball... being that this was the first time i have taken the rig out and about as its only been in my posession for 3 weeks I am amazed what it can do.

I ended up hitting the power line track..not sure what its called but loved it.

next time you guys head ou that way let me know.

phelonius
11th June 2013, 06:11 PM
i had a quick squizz around there too not long ago. Keen to do it with more people.

crazyenough
12th June 2013, 10:27 PM
Will post up next time out.