PDA

View Full Version : gu spring towers not cracked yet

june
11th March 2013, 01:42 PM
i have heard that rear patrol spring towers may crack. mine is max out to its gross vehicle mass of 3,000 kg. is there a kit to strengthen this up if so where do you puchase them from?

MudRunnerTD
11th March 2013, 02:01 PM
Superior Engineering do 2 different bolt on kits mate. For the GU their bolt on Brace kit would be the best option.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au - Spring Tower Brace kit (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=10673)

threedogs
11th March 2013, 03:50 PM
Will need strengthening if into heavy duty towing , A sensible mod IMO

happygu
11th March 2013, 06:11 PM
June,

It is a tough one to consider what is the best thing to do, as I have had to do the same thing with mine....

You have a fair bit of weight on board, with the long range tank and water tank, but you also only have a 2" lift kit installed. The smaller lifts have slightly softer springs compared to some of the bigger lifts out there, so I don't believe that there is so much of an issue with these springs.

However, on my last two GU's, I have driven straight off the showroom floor, and had my rear towers strengthened up as good insurance, as doing it whilst all is well only costs between $300 - $500 depending on what kit you use or what you do, but after the damage is done..... $$$$$.

Mic

june
12th March 2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys, i look up superior engineering and see what they have to say

threedogs
12th March 2013, 02:40 PM
Micheal will sort you out , Highly recommend

fatboy038
11th June 2013, 02:16 PM
Hi June,

What was the outcome with this, did you end up adding bracing to your rear spring mounts? I am in a similar situation with a resonably heavy loaded GU wagon and a single axle caravan that weighs approx 2t that has a heavy drawbar weight of around 200kg. Trying to work out which is the best option for a wagon.

june
16th June 2013, 07:23 PM
I have not yet, however, it is a concern. I have done some many hard trips without van eg, palmer river gold fields, cape York x4,Simpson desert and many others. I do check regularly for fatigue cracks around spring towers, without any issues, but, travelling now with a caravan, I agree with Happygtu, it may be good insurance to get them strengthened, because once they are cracked, the damage is done.