PDA

View Full Version : does the Scangauge II have a turbo boost gauge readout?

basil
9th March 2013, 11:38 PM
Does the Scangauge II have a turbo boost gauge readout? It would have to get the info from the ECU. (If it does that means I won't have to fit another one.)

Squalo
11th March 2013, 12:02 AM
Yep - it measures the difference between atmospheric and manifold pressure. Someone on another forum has both Scangauge II and a dedicated boost gauge and says they read much the same.

Here's the instructions to set it up:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/54.jpg

DSzuke
11th March 2013, 08:01 AM
On the lasted model SG you don't even need to set up the x-gauge. It's pre loaded.

Drew
11th March 2013, 03:45 PM
On the lasted model SG you don't even need to set up the x-gauge. It's pre loaded.

Yes siree bob :)

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

DSzuke
11th March 2013, 06:00 PM

I just re-read that post....

I suppose "lasted" and "latest" mean the same thing! Damn you auto correct!!

DSzuke
11th March 2013, 06:06 PM
To the OP, I've been running a SG for a few months now and love it.

I'm certain I am not getting the full benefit from it as I don't understand a lot of what it reads but it reads boost and the few other parameters I comprehend.

I haven't added any x-gauges yet but if anyone has a link to any relevant ones I'd love to see what's available.

The biggest problem is it won't read EGT.

the evil twin
11th March 2013, 06:21 PM
Technically, it sort of does but in practice no it doesn't on an ongoing basis depending how pedantic you want to be.

The scan gauge reads manifold absolute pressure from the sensor via the ECU. As per the name this is an absolute reading (PSIA) not a gauge reading (PSIG).

The X gauge program uses an arbitary pressure that you program into the X gauge and deducts this form the Absolute pressure from teh ECU.
If that number is the equivalent atmospheric pressure at your location then the Scangauge will give you what is essentially a boost gauge reading.
IE Absolute Pressure minus Atmospheric Pressure equals Gauge Pressure.

To be accurate you need to amend the program for any change in atmospheric pressure caused by changes in weather and elevation EG if you are in Sydney and you program the scangauge spot on then drive to Katoomba it will be in error due to the change in air pressure.

But... as the error will rarely exceed 1 to 1.5 PSI that is no biggee to a lot of people.

basil
13th March 2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the huge input. That's a big help. I can't see the point of fitting a traditional boost guage when the Scanguage II will do the job good enough for what I need. I will order one soon. I am thinking about modifying the exhaust but not sure how big to go. I am thinking 2 and half inch is enough but I know many go for 3 inch. Anyone got any ideas. Thinking about the ETG also ; would be handy info too.
Thanks heaps fellas.

Lonicus
14th March 2013, 05:54 AM
I am thinking about modifying the exhaust but not sure how big to go. I am thinking 2 and half inch is enough but I know many go for 3 inch. Anyone got any ideas. Thinking about the ETG also ; would be handy info too.
Thanks heaps fellas.

Quite a few of us are running the Beaudesert (http://www.beauexhausts.com.au) 2.75" exhaust and are extremely happy with them. There are a fair number of threads on exhausts already, just do a quick search for more info.

basil
14th March 2013, 07:13 PM
Will do. Thanks for the help. I will check out that one.

Scorpiovee
10th September 2014, 09:42 AM
Just a quick note, the various diagnostic tools mentioned don't read EGT as there is no probe/sensor fitted to the engines for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app