PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old shovels

threedogs
10th March 2013, 09:51 AM
Got this idea after something Cuppa said the other day, was toying with the idea as well. One of my mates is a Plumber and forever wearing the end of his Posthole shovels off, so I grab them.
With the theory if I look at it long enough I'll get an idea. So, HI HO its off to Bunnings I go to look at the handles available. Purchased a "D" handle and fitted it to my cut down post hole shovel, This will make retreiving the shovel from under the 4x4 much easier. Then "CLICK" cut the worn one into a toilet duty
shovel. You can buy short "D" handle ready made with short wooden shaft, Conclusion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks to Cuppa I now have 2 very practical shovel for camp and 4x4 use. Thanks Cuppa PM sent. Watch out for snakes in that long grass too, lol

Robo
11th March 2013, 02:43 AM
You will also be surprised how much easyer to dig a hole is, if the end is fairly sharp.
for the road keep 2nd cut file in tool kit also.
wrap file in a pce of rag.
banging around in tool box will blunten the file in no time
and at home can't bet the old 4" grinder.

exploremore
4th April 2013, 12:03 AM
I wonder if the sharp end could puncture your sidewall while getting sand out from under your vehicle. I've heard this could happen but never met anyone that it has happened to.

I use a square mouth spade (not shovel) with the corners considerably rounded.

Ease of access is the important consideration.