PDA

View Full Version : Brand New SS 6" shocks making car bounce badly!

Diesel-Mate
10th March 2013, 12:02 AM
Well basically i installed 4" flexy coils and 6" suspension stuff monotube shocks then took the GQ for a test drive and was getting thrown out of my seat on a road that i usually never felt bumps on with my old shocks. What could be wrong? Im thinking the shocks may have been valved wrong. Any ideas?

Alitis007
10th March 2013, 12:13 AM
The spring rate could be too high or in other words the springs are too stiff

Diesel-Mate
10th March 2013, 12:59 AM
I wouldnt think it would be spring rate because the last springs i had were extra heavy duties and the ones iv just put in are normals. My previous shocks were twin tube shocks and they felt great on road, really smooth no body roll ect. But the new mono tubes have a very rough ride and jerky feel and also alot of bounce. Im thinking maybe they havnt been valved right.

I also have not got adjustable pan hards yet so my diffs are off to the right hand side by about an inch, could that be the cause?

MudRunnerTD
10th March 2013, 07:52 AM
you will notice a big change going from Heavy Duty to Mediums or soft springs. Big change! your shcks are asked to do something now ;) They sound a little soft. but welcome to a big lift! Give Shane a call and tell him he will sort it out for you mate.

megatexture
10th March 2013, 07:52 AM
I've got tough dog adjustable shocks and if I put it on the hardest setting I feel everything and get a headache with 10 mins of driving,its that stiff but my coils are fine. my $ is on the shocks, can you remove a shock or 2 and go for a test drive?

BearGUST
10th March 2013, 08:23 AM
Did you bleed the shocks, or just bolt them straight in?

threedogs
10th March 2013, 08:40 AM
You are only using the coils, push down on front guard and let go, 4x4 should return to height and stop.
if it bounces shocks not working, BLEED as BearGUST says, you do this by pulling them out fully and pushing in a few times
pain in the butt as usually very hard to push and pull shock. But symptoms are no shocks

Diesel-Mate
10th March 2013, 10:11 AM
you will notice a big change going from Heavy Duty to Mediums or soft springs. Big change! your shcks are asked to do something now ;) They sound a little soft. but welcome to a big lift! Give Shane a call and tell him he will sort it out for you mate.

Yeah i will have to get onto him on monday hopefully it's only minor or a setup issue.

Did you bleed the shocks, or just bolt them straight in?

Yeah i bled the shocks but only a few times as i had to put my whole weight on them to get them to fully compress. I could not put them back out because they were so stiff so i just let them come out by them selves.

You are only using the coils, push down on front guard and let go, 4x4 should return to height and stop.
if it bounces shocks not working, BLEED as BearGUST says, you do this by pulling them out fully and pushing in a few times
pain in the butt as usually very hard to push and pull shock. But symtoms are no shocks

Yeah it does 2 to 3 bounces then stops, then the car slowly goes back up to standard height. It funny because all four corners do it, so it has to be valved wrong or something.

threedogs
10th March 2013, 10:55 AM
Remove shocks even if you clamp one end in a vice gently and fully push and pull shock a few times each and re install.
problem fixed

04OFF
10th March 2013, 12:23 PM
If you feel the need to give it a go......

If you have access to remove someones elses towbar hitch, and depending on your shock type and size, put the lower end of the shock into where the hitch goes, lock that end of the shock to the towbar with the hitch pin, inserting pin through the shockie mounting hole (rubber in place)

Now you can use a long steel bar (or strong broom handle etc) through the other end , and you can get 2 or even 4 people on it, to push and pull the shock with much less effort.

DONT use the your own car while its jacked up/on stands, you may push it over.

nissannewby
10th March 2013, 12:42 PM

Are you talking from experience here lol :p

threedogs
10th March 2013, 12:49 PM
Either way the shocks need to be removed, not a big job just another pain in the butt job.
should ride nice and flat when finished.

Dominator
10th March 2013, 01:07 PM
If you feel the need to give it a go......

If you have access to remove someones elses towbar hitch, and depending on your shock type and size, put the lower end of the shock into where the hitch goes, lock that end of the shock to the towbar with the hitch pin, inserting pin through the shockie mounting hole (rubber in place)

Now you can use a long steel bar (or strong broom handle etc) through the other end , and you can get 2 or even 4 people on it, to push and pull the shock with much less effort.

You don't need you car on jack stands to remove to shocks.

Diesel-Mate
10th March 2013, 04:04 PM
Found out the problem. My shocks are too stiff because when they were being hand made someone forgot to put enough shims in it to give it the right valving. Im going to send them back to get fixed. Pain in the ass. Hopefully when they come back they will be perfect.

04OFF
10th March 2013, 06:55 PM
Are you talking from experience here lol :p

Im sure you'd have heard about it by now if i had :harhar:

You don't need you car on jack stands to remove to shocks.

No one said you had too, shocks are sometimes easier to get off when at full extension, especially if gas shocks, it was only a general saftey statement that covers all situations.