PDA

View Full Version : Removing GQ Rear Sway / Stabalizer Bars Legalities in NSW

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2013, 04:06 PM
Hi guys and girls,

4b needs to get a pink slip on Monday for rego, am concerned that it won't past due to the rear sway / stabilizer bar not being in there.

Took it out years ago when I done my lift and never bothered putting it back in, have gotten away with rego since then but last year I changed mechanics and he new something wasn't right but passed it anyway. I spoke to him a few weeks after he passed it and he asked if I had the rear stabilizer bar in, told him no and he told me to get it back in before this inspection.

I had every intention of bolting it back in today ( yes leave everything 2 the last minute ) but for the life of me can't find it and really don't know if I still have it or gave it away to someone else.

After reading VSB14 I can't find anywhere where it states that the stabilizer bars are required by law, is it because they where fitted from factory its illegal to remove???

Cheers

Toddie

Bigrig
9th March 2013, 04:16 PM
Correct - removal is illegal due to OEM setup having them for on road handling and suspension geometry under flex and body roll. I'd be super surprised if any legit inspection passed them without it on.

Register it in qld - none of this yearly inspection stuff up here ... yet!! lol

EDIT - Oopsey. Didn't change account on my phone ... from Bigrig of course! lol

Just tap it in ... taaapp it in ....

X2 with that bloke!!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2013, 04:45 PM
I don't doubt you are right Scotty, but where in writing is it written?

I pretty much have sold my bike, sale should go through next week and once sold the car will be going of road, unfortunately due 2 timing I will probable still need to re register it for a few more weeks , pretty sure rego is due on the 20th, so still might get the 4b of the road and another car by then but going to be pushing it

threedogs
9th March 2013, 05:42 PM
pain in the butt but any chance to borrow and fit one for inspection and return it afterwards

Dominator
9th March 2013, 06:06 PM
pain in the butt but any chance to borrow and fit one for inspection and return it afterwards

That's what I was thinking. I would loan you mine but I am a bit far away. They are only 4 bolts and 2 nuts to remove. Surely someone on here can loan you one.

Bigrig
9th March 2013, 09:37 PM
I don't doubt you are right Scotty, but where in writing is it written?

I pretty much have sold my bike, sale should go through next week and once sold the car will be going of road, unfortunately due 2 timing I will probable still need to re register it for a few more weeks , pretty sure rego is due on the 20th, so still might get the 4b of the road and another car by then but going to be pushing it

Really mate?? I mean, REALLY MATE!!!

C'mon Todd, you know me and know the game of (let's say) "balance" I play with local authorities to keep my rig on the road, but I have no doubt that firstly, common sense will prevail that you simply cannot remove standard suspension components on your car just because it's not written somewhere ... annnnddd in the absence of common sense, I would suggest the RTA would have a field day going through their extensive list of anecdotal evidence and documentation to prove you would be a monkey to do so ... I'm so confident of this, I've just done a search online (as I know nothing of NSW RTA guidelines so just googled some phrases I thought may stand out) and subsequently was smashed with an absolute wealth of information ...

I've attached just one of the reference documents and points below reference it (and these would absolutely be the argument of your friendly RTA assessor):

Page 6 - section 1.2
Page 7- section 2.1 and 2.1.1 and 2.1.2
Page 17 - section 2.7 (Unexpected Vehicle Bahaviour)
Page 47 - not sure of section - heading "Over Articulation" - removal allows greater movement than OEM and this would suggest you need to change ALL other corresponding/affected ball joints etc to allow for greater movement (needs to be engineered)
Page 76 - section 2 (Suspension Modifications) - 5th paragraph

I'm sure there's more and under the RTA site there is dozens of documents related to vehicle modification.

Sure ... none of them specifically states you can't remove the swaybars (or stabilisers or whatever they call them), but I would nearly stake my left one on the fact that the other requirements listed as to vehicle stability, suspension geometry, drive-ability, body roll, etc, etc, etc would be used quite convincingly against you as grounds for "common sense didn't prevail, and here's your fine" ...

sooooooo ... borrow some brother ... I still stand by my earlier comment that it won't pass IF its a legit assessor, and whilst I am more than happy to be proven wrong, it simply isn't worth your time, effort and finances to leave it to chance ...

phew ... lmao

BigRAWesty
9th March 2013, 10:34 PM
You can borrow mine if you like.. come pick it up to.. might be the last drive for a bit...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
9th March 2013, 11:46 PM
Or try another mechanic? Or word him up that you would remove it regardless once the blue slip is given... He does not need to take a pic of it so may overlook it??

Put it back on anyway mate. Take the front off but leave the back on is the ideal setup!

NissanGQ4.2
10th March 2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks All

And yes Scotty I now it is pretty much common sense, hence why I asked the question *LMAO*

Will go on Monday and see if he passes it or not, if not I will borrow one form my dad

My old man told me a story yesterday from many years ago about a truck he had in the pits for inspection, it failed because they said it had to much flex in some joint thingo bob, he argued with them that's how they are from the manufacture brand new. Of course they said it had to be replaced, so he went back to his workshop took the part off and cleaned it up spray painted it black chucked it back in and went back over the pits again.

Guess what........................It passed................

Now that's what you call common sense *L*

Cheers all for the input :)

Bigrig
10th March 2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks All

And yes Scotty I now it is pretty much common sense, hence why I asked the question *LMAO*

Will go on Monday and see if he passes it or not, if not I will borrow one form my dad

My old man told me a story yesterday from many years ago about a truck he had in the pits for inspection, it failed because they said it had to much flex in some joint thingo bob, he argued with them that's how they are from the manufacture brand new. Of course they said it had to be replaced, so he went back to his workshop took the part off and cleaned it up spray painted it black chucked it back in and went back over the pits again.

Guess what........................It passed................

Now that's what you call common sense *L*

Cheers all for the input :)

I meant common sense from you mate - cant comment on lack of common sense from an assessor!! lmao

That said, painting items black is still pretty common practice even now ...

BigRAWesty
10th March 2013, 10:52 AM
Quick q? I'm guessing you have a fixed rear torsion bar? Why not try pick up a release unit and throw it on? they came stock and there awesome... Solid onroad, sloppy off and don't even have to get out your seat... Just pull the lever..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bigrig
10th March 2013, 11:02 AM
Quick q? I'm guessing you have a fixed rear torsion bar? Why not try pick up a release unit and throw it on? they came stock and there awesome... Solid onroad, sloppy off and don't even have to get out your seat... Just pull the lever..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

That's an interesting one actually - has anyone tried one with a lift and extended pins? I ended up ripping mine out after the initial lift (4") with SE extended link pins as (firstly, a pain to get the length right for connection on road) when I released them off road, they wouldn't reconnect ... apparently a "common" problem that many people don't even realise (i.e. they think they're back connected and hit the road not knowing they in fact haven't slotted back in).

Sorry for the hijack Toddie ... but let's face it, it's what I do best!! lol

BigRAWesty
10th March 2013, 11:56 AM
Boarder track engineering do an extension kit for the stock unit which is good for 4-6 lifts...
But you need the factory bits first.
Mine works fine with a 2" lift

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

NissanGQ4.2
13th March 2013, 05:34 PM

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

I have a quick release, but when I put the lift in years ago I took it off............I don't think the extended pins where even around then.

Good news is he passed it without the sway bar, told him it was not in and if he had issues I will go get my old man's come back then rip it back out after he passed it *L*

I did have 2 put 2 new front tyres on as they were pretty bald on the outer edge, lucky I bought the 3 of pearcy so whacked them on and he passed it :):):)

Bike will be sold by end of week so 4b will be no more...........for a few years at least!

BigRAWesty
13th March 2013, 09:25 PM
Good stuff

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

NissanGQ4.2
13th March 2013, 11:14 PM
I did use the words "legit assessor"!! lol

Good to hear mate!!!

Scotty (Bigrig)

Great Southern Camping
www.gscoffroad.com.au

I prefer to deal with the more shonkier assessors *L* just kidding

rottodiver
14th March 2013, 12:34 AM
Westy..... Any ideas where to buy the quick releases??? Have heard of electronic quick releases also!!
Scotty

BigRAWesty
14th March 2013, 12:42 AM
Westy..... Any ideas where to buy the quick releases??? Have heard of electronic quick releases also!!
Scotty

Only know of the original units, but not off the shelf. Would have to look for second hand.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

97EK1
18th April 2013, 11:02 AM
I've never ran a swaybar, I would if it needed it but never been hassled about it, no major roll from side to side but that may have something to do with the Gucci shocks lol it is also engineered so maybe that's why? I have them both in the shed but they're so small I couldn't see them doing much anyway...