PDA

View Full Version : 25k to spend on a new car

my91gq
8th December 2010, 09:28 AM
ok im looking at upgrading my gq agian to somthing bit newer like 2000 plus i would like to stick with the patrols but in everyones opinion wat are the 3ltrs like on fuel?, and how many blew up? as im only 18 so dont need to buy a car then have the motor blow up as i wanna be able to go away and not have to worry to much so reliebale in a must. it wont be anything hardcore maybe 3inch and 33 allterrians something that can handle the harder tracks but also capable of goin round and seeing our backyard. or is there a car that other people think i should take a look at? ie dual cabs? or even landcrabs?(overpriced)

thanks in advance

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 12:02 PM
mate for 25k you should be able to find an early DX GU series 1 or 2 with a 4.2 in it. i would grab that over a 3.0lt of the same genre. Every day of the week. You might if your not in a hurry find one for less than 20k with a couple of things on it already or with another 5k in the pocket to start the build up.

It will hold its value better too mate.

my 2c

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 12:06 PM
Or i would really think about a 2.8lt diesel over an early 3.0

and they are cheap and a good strong motor near the end of their development rather than the start so most of the probs are over and solved.

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 12:09 PM
Or a 4.5 which are cheap as chips mate, yes use the juice but for the cost saving on the purchase you could use allot of fuel to catch up

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Gu-Patrol-1999-Auto-Duel-Fuel-/140484218733?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item20b5830f6d#ht_1160wt_1141

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 12:15 PM
Heres a 4.2 with 2 days to go mate

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-GU-Patrol-4-2-Turbo-Diesel-wagon-4x4-2000-white-/170573344916?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item27b6f6b094#ht_528wt_1141

beansathome
8th December 2010, 12:58 PM
the 3 lt are great i have had 1 for a month an was suprised on how good they are on fule. u will never get the same milage as a ssmaller car but the are really good.
there is plenty of info about the 3Lt poping problems but i thnk by 2003 that problem was sorted out ( i hope) every thing i have looked has said that.
i picked up mine from a car yard for $26000 as an auto manuals are always atleast $1000 cheeper and one should be cheeper with more km on it ( mine was prety low acording to redbook).
a car with upto date loog book should be a must because u know the servicing is up to date and u can call the old mecanics and ask them to look in there system for car history (if u wish to) like problems that keep comeing up that might be good to know.

my 2c

cheers ben

my91gq
8th December 2010, 09:11 PM
cheers all for ya help
gives me something to think about as i have to keep this car for a few years
anymore help is greatly appreciated

YNOT
8th December 2010, 09:53 PM
I've owned both a '99 GU DX 4.2 Diesel (that I fitted a factory turbo kit to) and my current '03 GU ST 3.0 diesel with engine saver mods, and I can say from my experience that the 4.2 with turbo is definitely the pick of the two. The 4.2 is within your budget as others have mentioned.

As for spec level, while the luxuries of the ST are nice, the wipe clean vinyl interior of the DX is easier to keep clean and there are less electronics to fail.

Tony

my91gq
9th December 2010, 12:59 AM
thats the thing ive owned a 1991 ti model and now a 1989 dx 4.2 diesel and i like the diesel motor will never go petrol agian but i loved the electric insides but hate the carpet. if there was a way of making my windows electric??? in mine i would keep my one as its got a hell of a lot of go far goodies on it,

also wat do people think a 1989 gq dx worth? it has 4.2 diesel, extractors, 2.5 exhaust system, front auto lokka, 2inch suspension lift, 2inch body lift, 35inch mickey t claws, custom rocksliders, 2x hid spotties, arb highmount winch bar with warn highmount, canvas covers on the front, pioneer deck. 2x 6inch 2way speakers sub and amp, upgraded headlights and interior lights(led's). safari snorkle, body is not to bad few small dents and the tinniest lil bit of rust.

YNOT
9th December 2010, 06:46 AM
You could get aftermarket electric windows,, or find a wrecked GQ and take the door trims and window motors from that. Factory GQ electric windows just put a motor in place of the winder handle, the lift mechanism (regulator) is the same.

With what you already have in your GQ, I'd be keeping it and spending a few dollars on it. Sell the extractors and turbo it, you'll never look back.

Your GQ is probably worth around 7 - $8,000 if it's done under 300,000 km.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
9th December 2010, 06:04 PM
and throwing 5 to 10k at it will make it into one hell of a car mate. Then your better off by 15k in my book.

AB
10th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Moved your thread here mate so others can see it better.

Finly Owner
11th December 2010, 12:16 AM
AB AB AB AB.......LOOK HERE IT IS....GQ.......I'm sure he'll talk turkey with you.