PDA

View Full Version : Larger shocks than springs

bmaynard55
7th March 2013, 12:17 PM
I bought my GQ with 3" springs and 4" shocks. I'm told the idea of this is to allow the 4" length articulating as oppose to using 3". My shocks are starting to leak and I am wondering weather its worth getting 4" again or if the difference does flog them out quicker?

Under full stretch wouldn't this allow room for the springs to fall out? Or should there just be spring spacers in there?

The truck does see a lot of corrugations so could just be time for new ones.

threedogs
7th March 2013, 06:06 PM
IMO I think you're better off matching suspenion components.
You'll then know it works , Go KONI shocks if you have $$$$$
they are adjustable and re buildable, M2cW

BigRAWesty
7th March 2013, 06:08 PM
Have they extended the bump stops? If not then do this first to save the new shocks.

When adding longer shocks the primary tube base to lengthen aswell, so if you allow the axle to compress the shocks to original spec, it will be bottoming out the shocks and destroying them.

As for yes or no... Really doesn't matter...the springs shouldn't fall out with a 1" extension, as the spring has to compress more than that to get to normal ride height...

Kallen Westbrook

Owner of

Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Lieney
7th March 2013, 08:52 PM
Raise the body, if the springs don't become loose enough to fall out then that's good.
Check the bump-stop height compared to the shock travel when compressed and make sure the bump-stop is hit before the shock bottoms-out. Can do this be removing the springs and lower the vehicle right down, maybe one side at a time. Then see if you can contract the shock further once one end is un-bolted. Ensure you have half inch or so travel in shock after axle hits stop. If not, shock will become broken.
As Westy said, you want to ensure the shocks don't bottom out. Although this will generally bend or break them as apposed to make them leak, which is really not that good any way.
I'm with threedogs regarding matching suspension. Do this and avoid issues. Unless you are into comps, sic mods etc.
I've had a tough dog shock set matched to suspension travel for another vehicle a while back as it was 'different'.
This ensured the suspension worked properly, and doesn't cause issues when driving.
I prefer tough-dog, although the ride is a little tight on bumpy roads.

bmaynard55
7th March 2013, 09:52 PM
cheers guys

Sounds like ill be keeping it the same. Was looking at Tough dog as that is what the springs are too.