PDA

View Full Version : Might have found what I have been after

Lieney
5th March 2013, 07:21 PM
I have been looking at water tanks to fit between the back seat and cargo barrier in my GU Patrol Wagon.
I have looked over the past 5-6 months and found them very pricey in my opinion for what your getting considering the storage capacity.
I can purchase one from the company who make my drawers, manufactured from stainless, which costs $650-$700 but only holds about 45-60L.
Many other tanks that are available are either too deep, too long or too high. They do not hold sufficient water and don't use up the available space efficiently etc etc.
I stumbled across a small business called Abber Tanks. A fellow by the name of Chris in QLD operates it. I found out through a fellow at work.
He uses food grade material (plastic / PVC Poly stuff) and can custom design everything you need.
My tank, custom designed to fit the space efficiently including baffles etc and fittings will cost me $365 delivered to my door and will carry 67L approx.
I have yet to take delivery and he said 7-10 days depending. Currently looking at delivery about the week of 25 Mar 13 as he is busy this week.
Figured I'd post it here to see who else knows about him, or if someone has experienced the issue I had with not being able to find the right tank for a suitable price.

AB
5th March 2013, 07:27 PM
Never heard of him but keen to see the pics of yours mate...

threedogs
5th March 2013, 07:31 PM
X 2 keen to see this as well.
Last 4x4 I had 55lt S/S tank custom made for $200
Do you fill through side window

GUtsy ute
5th March 2013, 07:34 PM
I have seen his work and you wont be disappointed.

I am getting one for my canopy from him shortly.

Cuppa
5th March 2013, 08:00 PM
Just a heads up on this if it's not too late.

The bloke who taught the chap at Abbertanks to make tanks is Mick McBride at Award Tanks (http://www.awardtanks.com/). He custom made the 150 litre (880x760x250) one I have put in the patrol for $320 delivered, under half the cost that Abbertanks (& several other companies) quoted me for the same thing. I was happy with the service & with the tank. When a special cap & tool for opening it I had requested Mick to make got lost in the post, he just made me another & sent it free of charge. A good bloke.

Bloodyaussie
5th March 2013, 09:03 PM
As above plus there is the one that goes on the floor behind the front seats... thought they looked a good bit of kit!!!??

Winnie
5th March 2013, 09:16 PM
I've been considering getting a bladder to go between the rear seats and cargo barrier. Is this not a good idea?

Drewboyaus
5th March 2013, 09:36 PM
I've been considering getting a bladder to go between the rear seats and cargo barrier. Is this not a good idea?

I'm a bit iffy on the bladder thing. Too much concern about burstage for my liking....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Lieney
7th March 2013, 09:19 PM
Cheers for feedback.
Threedogs - found a rectangle? style stainless tank for $200, but wrong shape, otherwise it was a winner. No baffled
Cuppa - thanks for letting me know. Not sure how they price them regarding size, ease of welding etc but I'll check it out anyway for a comparison for the future of other, or extra mods. Been looking at Web for some time and Abertanks appeared the only custom one I could find.
Plasnart - I was going to get this, but its the wrong taper for the gap between barrier and seat back. I was very disappointed it didn't fit believe me, as I could have put this in months ago.
Winnie - I believe they would be a tough bit of gear but I suppose it may just have that 'plastic bag' feel about it. Maybe that's why I am not a fan. Maybe its going to be tougher than a hard tank. I can't really answer that. There are companies that make custom and pre-fab tanks that hang from the barrier and go in the panels etc. I figure it might be choice etc.
I want to drain and fill through the same hole, or through the bottom. Either one would allow this.
Guess I feel happier with the hard tank secured by belt material in a snug fitted area, as apposed to a bladder.
I work with Military and have seen some bladders for things here, some of them would be tougher than plastic, so maybe get a poll on it. Hard tank Vs bladder.

Lieney
15th March 2013, 10:12 PM
My water tank has arrived in good time.
I realised I had a previous post about fitting PVC in behind my back seat a while back. I didn't spend the $ where I should have, or the time to do it real nice, hence it leaked a little on testing it and had more issues with mounting etc. Hence I scrapped that idea.
I also attempted to fit a pipe at the front of my rack, but that caused more issues and I hate the weight up top.
It is made of similar material to PVC that is food grade approx 3-4mm thick. It's plastic welded all the way around. It has a fitting each side at the bottom and one at the top as a breather. Usually come with 1" filler but I opted out.
It has several baffles fitted inside that, when looking through the opening, appear to be secured and well designed and will work very well.
The product is tested to 2-3psi.
The big test will be mounting it in the car (after I cut away two small tabs on the cargo barrier) and wrap the tank in compressed thin mattress foam.
It should hold approx 65-70L and cost $330 delivered to my door.
The finish is not bad for a plastic welding job. A blown moulded one appears much stronger and nicer finished, but is FAR more expensive.
So, if I was loaded and money was not really an object, I'd get someone else to fit a fancy tank. As I am tight, and it needs to hold water, I am happy that this will do the job at a decent price.
The big test will be once it's mounted, full of water and gets thrown around on a 4x4 track.
Yes, I would buy another one at price at this point.
Warranty - if it comes apart or leaks at any weld, send it back and he will repair it free of charge.

Lieney
15th March 2013, 10:13 PM
Why do these dam pictures turn??
Rhetorical question. It frustrates me!

Cuppa
16th March 2013, 08:42 AM
I reckon you'll be happy with it. Looks to be exactly the same material & construction as mine. I have been impressed with the strength of mine, not sure how many baffles it has in it, but I can sit on top of it without it deforming. As you say, not quite as 'pretty' as a blow moulded job, but hey, it only has to hold water.

Cuppa

Lieney
19th March 2013, 07:36 PM
I have attached a couple extra pics of the tank.
I want to refine the outlet and tap set-up and possibly mount a tap and outlet to the smaller back door inside. Similar to the caravan swing away style but with a hose connection on it. Or have 2 outlets, not 100% sure yet.

Cuppa, cheers for ya insight in another thread regarding solar panels etc. I have been looking at getting a deep cycle and solar set-up but need to investigate more as my winch is hooked to my second battery.
Considering deep cycle under bonnet, but need to adjust the winch supply.