PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust brake

Finly Owner
7th December 2010, 10:45 PM
Not that it's high on my agenda, many other things to do first. But is it possible to install an electric exhaust brake on an SD33T? I see this as a handy safety device for towing. And no I am not talking Jake Brake. And would anyone actually know a ball park price for one?

Now I will await the in depth open discussion with all of you

NissanGQ4.2
7th December 2010, 10:54 PM
I think it would be very funny hearing the sound of a trucks jake brack coming out of a patrol *L*

My in depth discussions is: sorry can't help you on this Tim

NissanGQ4.2
7th December 2010, 11:03 PM
Tim, i shall see my old man 2morrow and ask him what he thinks, he is an ex diesel mechanic and might be able to shed some light

NissanGQ4.2
8th December 2010, 05:27 PM
Tim, this is the reply i got from my old man, hope it helps in some way

Cheers, Todd

Yes you can fit an exhaust brake to any diesel. As far as I know no one makes an electric one. Most of the larger trucks use air pressure, smaller trucks could use vacuum.

There is not much stopping one from using an electric solenoid to operate the exhaust brake as long as it has enough power to pull it closed (to over come the return spring and the exhaust pressure against the butterfly).

You could by one from the truck wreckers or Smiths Exhaust brakes here in Sydney.

http://www.gearingdynamics.com/exhaustbrake.htm
A vacuum open & close butterfly type for small diesels (Toyota Nissan etc)

http://smartbrake.com/
This is a slide gate type

http://www.sgvaustralia.com/
Slide gate type (previously known as Smiths)

There is still a bit of debate as to where to fit the brake some say before the turbo and others after. Most are fitted after (easier).

When you accelerate after using the brake there might be a bit of turbo lag. You would have to disengage it just before you wanted to power on. It is something you would get use to.

Finly Owner
12th December 2010, 11:49 PM
cheers Todd.

Thought I would have caused a bit more debate with this one.

NissanGQ4.2
13th December 2010, 08:20 PM
No worries Tim, I knew my old man would have something to say about the topic
Still think a jake brake would sound nice on the Patrol *L*

loito
17th August 2011, 06:44 PM
Hi mate - Nissan actually make a vacuum operated exhaust brake for their light trucks/buses. Bear in mind that to do well you will need the following :-
1. Accelerator switch (normally closed when pump is coasting) on the fuel pump ($194 - ex Japan) turns OFF brake during acceleration
2. Clutch switch - (normally closed) turns OFF when clutch is depressed
3. Operating switch/lever (obvious)
4. Vacuum supply, and
5. Electrically operated Vacuum relay to operate the brake unit.
Have no idea how much all this would cost to set up, but check out the truck wreckers.
Cheers, Loito
PS Can probably help out with diagram for the electrical side of things

Finly Owner
18th August 2011, 11:34 PM
Hi mate - Nissan actually make a vacuum operated exhaust brake for their light trucks/buses. Bear in mind that to do well you will need the following :-
1. Accelerator switch (normally closed when pump is coasting) on the fuel pump ($194 - ex Japan) turns OFF brake during acceleration
2. Clutch switch - (normally closed) turns OFF when clutch is depressed
3. Operating switch/lever (obvious)
4. Vacuum supply, and
5. Electrically operated Vacuum relay to operate the brake unit.
Have no idea how much all this would cost to set up, but check out the truck wreckers.
Cheers, Loito
PS Can probably help out with diagram for the electrical side of thingswill keep this in mind, thanks for your knowledge. I do have other things i need to do first, I am just gathering all my info for my thoughts to be indexed.

Tim

the godfather
19th August 2011, 12:07 AM
Hi Tim, Like everyone else I cant see a problem with this. But what is to note is that on a truck the position of the exhaust brake is critical. So you cant just wack one in. You need to know where to put it. So it may require some math.