PDA

View Full Version : Control arms, pan hard rods and wheel alignments

Parksy
5th March 2013, 01:19 PM
Hi all

In the process of replacing the stock/weak original control arms. So far I've got a set of stronger trailing arms, but I'm having trouble trying to find stock length upper arms. I'll be fitting 2 inch springs, so my question is are the superior engineering upper arms suited to 2" lift a good option? I've left the trailing arms at stock length. Are the superior engineering panhards that are suited to 2" lift also a good investment? I don't want to buy anything adjustable as apparently they are illegal. Everyone seems to think that a 2" lift doesn't require any modifications apart from longer shocks, so I'm assuming that these superior arms are only minutely longer than stock?
Here's a link to the items I'm thinking about fitting:
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=6497
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_178&products_id=7295
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=31_32_33_178&products_id=7304

Also, what do the guys do when they do a wheel alignment on the patrols? I cannot see any part that is adjustable.

Cheers

Andy

Parksy
7th March 2013, 07:37 PM
Anyone got any info? Surely someone has a 2" shock lying around they can measure?

GUtsy ute
7th March 2013, 07:58 PM
All they can adjust is toein on a standard setup.

What measurements are you after on the shocker?

Parksy
7th March 2013, 08:29 PM
Just the total length of it. I'm not sure if I've got standard springs and shocks or if its been fitted with 2 inch springs and shocks. So if I can work out that I do actually have a 2 inch lift, I can save coin and only buy new springs as the ones fitted have seen better days.

GUtsy ute
7th March 2013, 09:19 PM
Front- End of pin to end of pin, 690 extended
470 compressed

Rear- Centre of eye to centre of eye, 690 extended
420 compressed.

This is on EFS shocks.

Parksy
7th March 2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks very much! I assume these are 2 inch shocks?

GUtsy ute
7th March 2013, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Parksy;342584]Thanks very much! I assume these are 2 inch shocks?

I was told they were when I bought them secondhand, definately longer than standard and no dramas when they were on my car with 2" lift.

Parksy
9th March 2013, 04:37 PM
Can anyone confirm that the adjustable rods, panhards and what not are actually illegal? I've seen solid panhards and also hollow, though with 6mm wall thickness which I assume is alot thicker than stock, which ones are stronger?

Cheers.

Dominator
9th March 2013, 06:11 PM
I have never heard of adjustable panhard rods being illegal. That does not mean they are legal, but I would be very surprised if they weren't.

As for 6mm vs solid I think you would have a very very hard time bending either of those. I would think the solid one would be damn heavy!

And any way for a 2in lift I would not be bothering with adjustable panhards. I would get strengthened lower trailing arms, just leave the standard upper arms, fit castor correction bushes to your radius arms (front) and extend your brake lines and diff breathers.

lhurley
9th March 2013, 06:22 PM
Can anyone confirm that the adjustable rods, panhards and what not are actually illegal? I've seen solid panhards and also hollow, though with 6mm wall thickness which I assume is alot thicker than stock, which ones are stronger?

Cheers.

Ive got an adjustable panhard from supeerior and i find that since fitting it, the front end actually flexes much nicer. i might be imagining it to justify spending the money but this far im quite happy with it.

For a 2" lift you do only need shocks and springs. anything above 3" is when more needs to be done, ie. Brake lines and radius arm bushes.

What is it that makes you want to upgrade everything?? Somewhat careful driving with a 2" shock and spring should get you through most. unless you plan on being really rough?

Parksy
10th March 2013, 07:22 PM
Reason being is that I'm in the process of giving the patrol a slight renovation. Have rubbed the chassis down and re painted. Axles, radius arms etc have also been done. The lower and upper arms, being in need of new bushes as well and being so thin in general, I don't want to weaken them anymore by sanding them down, so it's just easier to replace them all with stronger aftermarket units with new bushes already fitted.