PDA

View Full Version : spare wheel gu ute

roady gu
5th March 2013, 11:27 AM
hi
ok have been here a while searched and can not find any thing on this where do you store you spare wheel on a tray back ute if you want to use the hole pick up bed it seams to tight to go in with tank at the back without lowering the tank witch i would rather not do or is it just make the tray higher again ? ideas suggestions photos ?
thank for reading Roady gu

threedogs
5th March 2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah most just lift the tray up a tad to suit not a big job,

BradWill
20th March 2013, 12:39 AM
Hi roady GU I also have a Gu and have 285/75/16 and just wouldnt go into the spare holder so have just had the brackets widened and the tray lifted 35 mm.
Cheers Bradwill

roady gu
29th March 2013, 03:09 PM
hi
thanks for the reply looks like i will just lift the tray 40mm sorry have not replied earlier but had the Internet down i have a radio connection and i had to wait for service repair man thanks for looking
roady gu

Big Red
9th July 2013, 01:20 PM
you could mount the spare/spares to a roofrack over the cab i suppose

rusty_nail
9th July 2013, 03:51 PM
you could mount the spare/spares to a roofrack over the cab i suppose

x2. i have seen a few GU/GQ trucks with a small roof rack ontop of the cabin. it looks neat.

Cervantes
16th November 2013, 10:34 PM
hi
ok have been here a while searched and can not find any thing on this where do you store you spare wheel on a tray back ute if you want to use the hole pick up bed it seams to tight to go in with tank at the back without lowering the tank witch i would rather not do or is it just make the tray higher again ? ideas suggestions photos ?
thank for reading Roady gu

Probably too late, but my ute came with a second Reese hitch welded on at the back and a simple spare holder fabricated that slots in to it.

A bit of a pain if you want to get in via the back of the tray, but does free up space in the tray and avoids putting the weight of the spare up high.

If you're interested I'll take a picture and post when I'm home on R&R.

roady gu
19th November 2013, 10:57 AM
Probably too late, but my ute came with a second Reese hitch welded on at the back and a simple spare holder fabricated that slots in to it.

A bit of a pain if you want to get in via the back of the tray, but does free up space in the tray and avoids putting the weight of the spare up high.

If you're interested I'll take a picture and post when I'm home on R&R.

HI
Andy sound good have temp lifted tray and slotted in spare at back but can only fit 265x16 in there fitting on the back would be better for long touring a pic would be nice
thank you Roady gu

Cervantes
20th November 2013, 09:04 AM
HI
Andy sound good have temp lifted tray and slotted in spare at back but can only fit 265x16 in there fitting on the back would be better for long touring a pic would be nice
thank you Roady gu

Roady,

My wife took a couple of snaps of the spare wheel carrier.

I should explain that the ute is a new purchase and the carrier came with it as is. I do aim to clean it up and give it a lick of paint in the near future. Also may have a look at adding some bracing to stiffen it up slightly, although to be fair it doesn't seem to wobble about too much as is.

Anyway. Pictures attached.

The spare towball socket is welded to a crossmember above the towball. The carrier slots in there and is held in place by a pin as your tow ball would be.

The lower horizontal bar extends past the upright so that you can rest the tire on there whilst lining the wheel up with the studs which are welded to a circular plate at the top of the upright bar. I've just realised that this will need adjusting when I go up to 33" tires later.

I hope this explains it okay.

Cheers

trevbob
26th March 2014, 06:30 PM
Hmm, that looks neat. I have normal spare bolted horizontally between tool boxes each side, swag slots in underneath. I do have a small steel roof rack on cab for the second spare when touring.
Cheers,
Trev

trevbob
26th March 2014, 07:02 PM
Trev

gubigfish
11th September 2014, 10:41 AM
hey champ when i bought mine it has a special bracket that holds it in place up against the front "wall" of the tray

I'd like to get a cage built with a door on each side on gas struts so that when I need to get the tyre down I don't kill my back and will also allow me to get a 2nd spare.