PDA

View Full Version : Breathers

outback
4th March 2013, 11:23 PM
Not sure if this fits here or else where but does seem related to upping suspension I think.

Depending on how things pan out I hope to be just doing a replacement of my springs and shockers with heavy duty ones, assuming the Patrol will still fit in the carport. Otherwise I will head off and get a 2" lift set.

One other thing I have looked at whatever the end result of the new suspension is re doing the breathers on the diffs, gearbox and transfer.

I have a nasty suspicion that to assume the standard ones will do won't hold water so to speak. Well hold it out to be more precise.
Standard approach, assume nothing and opt for the worst scenario.

Any suggestions on this, eg what type, from whom etc?
To me it’s a bit of a blank topic; in the words of Sgt Shultz "I know nothing!"

Yes snorkel is possibly on the list as well somewhere.

megatexture
5th March 2013, 01:08 AM
It can be done on the cheap with some fuel line and a 2$ fuel filter all available from super cheap or you can purchase a kit for more than double the price. if done diy just make sure the hose is suitable to come in contact with the diff oil.
And just extend them up to the top of the fire wall, plenty of threads if you use the search bar also

04OFF
5th March 2013, 01:13 AM
It can be done on the cheap with some fuel line and a 2$ fuel filter all available from super cheap or you can purchase a kit for more than double the price just make sure the hose is suitable to come in contact with the diff oil

That how i did mine, never had any issues with it, just dont forget to do the transfer case and auto (unless you have a manual) breathers as well.

I did the diffs to one filter, transfer & auto to another

threedogs
5th March 2013, 06:54 AM
Front on a GU is fine, but I changed mine with a manifold and air filters in the engine bay, still have
outlets for a/t and transfer case. I'll finish off when I'm a bit more mobile. Snorkle is good idea if
doing lots of water crossings, don't buy a cheap one. I cant cut a 6" hole in a good guard yet, lol

BigRAWesty
5th March 2013, 07:10 AM
Unless its stuffed, the stock patrol setup is a good one imo, and can handle a 2" lift, just like the brake lines..
So unless your going a big lift, or its stuffed I wouldn't bother.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

04OFF
5th March 2013, 09:38 AM
I cant cut a 6" hole in a good guard yet, lol

I totally understand, what you need to do, is get some else to drill the first hole, then its already wrecked, and you dont feel so bad about attacking it :clapping:

Unless its stuffed, the stock patrol setup is a good one imo, and can handle a 2" lift, just like the brake lines..
So unless your going a big lift, or its stuffed I wouldn't bother.

Yeh, you wont bust the standard ones after a 2 inch lift, but the rear breather only goes as high as the chassis, so its still a good idea to do them if you plan to go near water.

outback
5th March 2013, 03:28 PM
It can be done on the cheap with some fuel line and a 2$ fuel filter all available from super cheap or you can purchase a kit for more than double the price. if done diy just make sure the hose is suitable to come in contact with the diff oil.
And just extend them up to the top of the fire wall, plenty of threads if you use the search bar also

That was what I thought. But just checking anyway.

threedogs
5th March 2013, 05:02 PM
Make sure you keep well away from exhaust and allow plenty for full droop,
Use heaps of cable ties too, plastic fuel filters work a treat.

Bloodyaussie
5th March 2013, 06:09 PM
I have a full kit sitting hear since before I blew my clutch up that I have not installed???

Get round to it sooner or later... just too hot out there all the bloody time!!

megatexture
5th March 2013, 06:48 PM
the rear runs up to a cross member as o4off said , I wouldn't rely on that hight