PDA

View Full Version : GU alternator onto GQ 100A questions

Neesmo31
7th December 2010, 11:42 AM
Hey all i will be running a GU alternator on the GQ soon to power a nice optima battery and winch and was wondering if all GU alternators are sporting 100A's? Also will these fit directly onto a GQ engine?

Will anything give any problems on the GQ electrical system if running an upgraded alternator?

Cheers in advance.

Finly Owner
7th December 2010, 09:20 PM
Going by experience of general updating amps in alternators, it only gives more amp availability, not more through components. A lot of Hitachi alternators were 70amp. If you can get one I would be using it.

Tim

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2010, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, mate depending on the motor this is coming off and going on?

If you are trying to fit an Alternator off a GU TD42 then the newer ones run a remote Vac pump and they will not go on the GQ TD42 as they require the Vac Pump to be mounted on the back.

This is why everyone on the forum already has not done this upgrade. It will not just be a straight bolt up.

Although here is one i found earlier :first: 120 amp bolt up with the vac pump at a GREAT PRICE

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-GQ-Patrol-TD42-Diesel-Alternator-120-Amp-/350394952060?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51952aa97c#ht_665wt_907

:drunk:

scrawn
22nd January 2011, 04:09 PM
GU 4.5 petrol alternator with bottom bracket will bolt straight on to a TB42 using the original top bracket and same fan belts
the TB42 bottom bracket needs a a bit of metal taken off for adjustment if its being used

patch697
25th January 2011, 02:34 PM
We really need to know what engine its coming off & what engine its going onto too answer your question properly.

I have replaced my GQ TB42 55A Hitachi alternator with an 85A Bosch & its working well, best of all its a straight bolt on with only 2 wires to Mod & a pulley change all of which can be done anyone with a little mechanical knowledge.