PDA

View Full Version : Suspension – springs and shockers for GU IV patrol

outback
4th March 2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like my 2005’s springs and shockers are dying. They seem to be the originals and done 132000kms.

The Patrol seems to sit a bit low as it is.

It’s an ST patrol with ZD30 engine, bulbar with winch an dual batteries in front. I also tow either a horse float or van these sit in the 1.5t – 2.5t range

At present I only have a 2inch clearance with the carport door.

I had considered a 2” lift as well but assuming my current vehicle height is correct a 2” lift would have the patrol roof rubbing on the roller door. I wont be considering leaving the vehicle outside lockup at night due to the local feral population. (Not bolted down, padlocked up etc it may move).

I was wondering what would be the best brand to go for with my set up?
I suspect I will need something in the heavy duty range.

Some have suggested ARB others suggested Dobinson. I notice Kings mentioned in the Forum a bit but is that spring and shockers or just springs?

MudRunnerTD
4th March 2013, 10:27 AM
Old Man Emu standard height Heavy Duty will be perfect mate

outback
4th March 2013, 10:44 AM
Springs and shockers or was that just referring to shockers?
For shockers they were on my personal preferred list.

outback
4th March 2013, 10:48 AM
OK found what you meant. The heavy duty shockers being these Nitrocharger Shock Absorbers?

MudRunnerTD
4th March 2013, 11:03 AM
Yes and standard height Heavy Duty Springs. A full suspensions system from Old Man Emu to suit standard height touring vehicles. Winner. Expect that you will likely gain some lift fitting this as yours has sagged somewhat but. Think it will be inside your limitations.

I would certainly fit springs and shocks though. It is your springs that have sagged, not your shocks. If funds are tight then go the springs first and leave the factory shocks if they still work? Big fan of a matched set though.

Cheers MR

outback
4th March 2013, 11:19 AM
I suspect springs and shockers are both on the way out. Anyway not interested in factory shockers as a replacement or as they stand.

Thanks.

outback
4th March 2013, 01:32 PM
MR, Just had a horrible passing thought..
What if fitting these standard height springs and shockers ends up with Patrol not going in carport, and hence I should have just gone for the heavy duty 2" lift.

MudRunnerTD
4th March 2013, 02:45 PM
That would suck for sure! If you get ARB to do the fit up then have the conversation with the guy! Put him on notice that the standard height may just be a test fit. If you can't fit I the carport then you want him to swap them out for a 2" lift for the cost of fitting only. Straight swap of the springs. The shocks are probably the same for standard and 2" lift though to be honest? Guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outback
4th March 2013, 11:21 PM
That had crossed my mind, if it wont fit with the standard set might just as well go the next step.

Dominator
5th March 2013, 08:56 AM
Just a thought but does the GU manual on here have the standard specs in it. If so it should have the standard roof height. This will give you a guide at least.

outback
5th March 2013, 03:11 PM
Just wondering why you would want to go 2" lift on a tow rig? If youre using it on road only I'd keeping it as low as possible.

Its not a just 'on road tug only vehicle' unfortunately.

I am hoping that the new standard springs will cover all I need. They will also give it a lift.

As for 2" lift I also wok on the assumption that if 99% of the time it's ok there is that 1% that has to be accounted for and it always comes when you least expect.