PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control on GQ

Nanango
7th December 2010, 07:56 AM
Looking at putting a cruise control on a 96 RX GQ TB42E. Have had a bit of a look around, and am currently looking at the AP50 unit that is listed on Ebay. Anyone with any experience or recommendations would be appreciated. Came across a mob in Sydney (around Bankstown area I think) many years ago that sold electric window winders and they also had cruise control kits but have lost their details.

sweet_gq
7th December 2010, 09:20 AM
I went down that road not long back. The ebay, supercheap ones $200 to $300 are vacuum controlled. There are more expensive ones for about $500 to $660 that are electronic.

I have been told (unreliable) that the vacuum ones can stick with the throttle open. Sorry I can't help more.

B

Bigrig
7th December 2010, 11:39 AM
Looking at doing this also - from what I've seen, they all have to meet fairly stringent ADR's and Standards (being listed as a vehicle engineering modification) so the deciding factors for me are going to be 'ease of installation' and price - not much else to it from what I can see ...

Thanks B for the comments regarding known issues with the vacuum style as opposed to electronic ... will probably go electronic anyway.

Nanango
7th December 2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Checked out supercheap on the weekend, but they no longer sell them anymore. Could just be the local store, will check out some others this weekend. Re the vacuum units, where do they get the vacuum from? Most comment I have seen advise against tapping into a brake line.

Finly Owner
7th December 2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Checked out supercheap on the weekend, but they no longer sell them anymore. Could just be the local store, will check out some others this weekend. Re the vacuum units, where do they get the vacuum from? Most comment I have seen advise against tapping into a brake line.

for electronic try Ashdown and Ingram.

gec
7th December 2010, 09:45 PM
I have the AP50 on my Patrol and have had it for many years and yes it is vacuum operated and I have had no trouble's with it, It may not be quite as smooth as an electronic one but for the price its a good thing and easy as to fit

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah mine is the same but its hard to secure to the driveshaft

Nanango
8th December 2010, 06:51 PM
apart from Ebay or import driver, anyone know if the AP50s can be obtained from a store anywhere. Several post have mentioned Kmart and also supercheap, as I could check these out when I come through Sydney early next week?

YNOT
8th December 2010, 07:06 PM
Re the vacuum units, where do they get the vacuum from? Most comment I have seen advise against tapping into a brake line.

You need to put a T-piece into one of the smaller vacuum lines coming off the inlet manifold. The comments you have read are correct, stay well away from the vacuum hose going to the brake booster.

Tony

Nanango
8th December 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for that Tony. Will keep an eye out for one whilst heading through Sydney then Brisbane, failing that will pick one up on Ebay.

YNOT
8th December 2010, 11:10 PM
Let us know when you're going to be in Brisbane, we might be able to cross paths somewhere.

Tony

Nanango
9th December 2010, 09:04 AM
Will do, At this point in time I will be heading up from Coffs, through Brissie to Bli Bli, then back through Caboulture, and heading west back home next Wednesday.

HILLBILLY BOY
7th March 2011, 09:12 PM
I have the AP50 kit in my patrol, it was fitted when I got it but have had to change the tailshaft sensor to be more suitable offroad. So far I haven't had any dramas with it.
The only thing I don't like about it is when you go uphill once the speedo drops 10% it cuts out and if not ready you have to change down a gear to pick up again.

the evil twin
7th March 2011, 10:35 PM
I have the AP50 kit in my patrol, it was fitted when I got it but have had to change the tailshaft sensor to be more suitable offroad. So far I haven't had any dramas with it.
The only thing I don't like about it is when you go uphill once the speedo drops 10% it cuts out and if not ready you have to change down a gear to pick up again.

Yeah I had one im my Q as well... worked perfect.

The 10% thing is a mandatory safety feature in the after market jobbies... but Yes, it is annoying at times

Super Safari
30th March 2011, 10:55 AM
nice idea for traveling