PDA

View Full Version : Dargo Weekend

Cuppa
3rd March 2013, 08:17 PM
MrsTea & I are planning to head up to near Dargo next weekend (Thursday to Monday) for the first dual 'test' of our camper. I've been away in it by myself but this will be her first time.

I contacted the general store in Dargo, & found out that the road out to Talbotville, our hoped for destination is still closed & quite likely to remain so next weekend.
Instead we are now thinking of going up the Crooked River Rd to either Black Snake Creek, Eaglevale or somewhere on the river in between.
Our intention is not to head off 4wd'ing each day, but rather to set up camp for the duration, do a bit of fishing, lazing & some walking.

Haven't camped up that way before (only at Angusvale in Mitchell River NP) so I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me if where we are thinking of would offer some reasonable walking possibilites?

Alternatively does anyone have any recommendations for other camp spots up that way which might suit our needs better, preferably uncrowded, (although that might be a big ask on a long weekend).

We don't want to have to do any gnarly driving as we have fully loaded the camper to simulate how we intend to use it for long term travel (i.e.. heavy) - future weekends with less weight on board will be more suited to gnarlier tracks.

Cuppa

Sir Roofy
4th March 2013, 12:05 PM
Hi cuppa the black snake camp is small,they have done up the hut there
some ppl stop at kingwells bridge just an open paddock no wood handy
if you turn right at the bridge that takes you up through crooked river to
talbotville but theres a few river crossings that way shouldnt be any deeper than your hubs
the approaches should be ok
or you can go over king wells and try bullock flat,the grass might be still to high for you
since they cant graze it any more
then theres eaglevale theres toilets there so im thinking will be populated there
um theres some other spots back towards kingwells off to the right as you come off the farm land
then theres moroka junction thats the end of the road right on the river sandy spot quite nice
there are some other spots there but the end is the best

Cuppa
7th March 2013, 05:50 PM
Well here we are at Bullock Flat, off the Crooked River rd, just south of Dargo & 2 bars of Telstra on the iPad! Drove here via Briagalong, Blue Pool, & the Freestone Creek Rd. Scored some delicious home made cakes in Briag. Talbotville has just been opened for the weekend, but we decided it might be less crowded here. We've driven as far as Eaglevale & so far are the only campers along the whole stretch of road. We are in a great little spot, right on the river with easy access, & out of sight of the road. Have just set up, & am now enjoying a cup of tea.
No bait available at Stratford, Briag, or Dargo. Woman in the Dargo shop advised digging up thistles to find scrub worms. Plenty of thistles around here, so we might get lucky.

Bloodyaussie
7th March 2013, 05:58 PM
I am jealous mate..... enjoy yourself and the time away together!!!!

threedogs
7th March 2013, 06:11 PM
great part of the country there
try under some rocks on the banks for critters.
small hooks #12 or #10

Cuppa
12th March 2013, 07:30 PM
MrsTea has pronounced the camper a success. (Phew!) We had a lazy weekend at Bullock Flat camped on lush green grass next to the river which was perfect for swimming. Had the whole place to ourselves in a little spot hidden from any passers by on the road.

threedogs
12th March 2013, 08:34 PM
You posting nude pics of Mrs Tea, shame Cuppa
You getting this hot weather there or a tad cooler ???
Is that a trout in the water????

Cuppa
12th March 2013, 09:26 PM
I thought it a rather tasteful pic of MrsTea enjoying herself in the Wonnangatta River, a moment of bliss, and posted with her permission.
No trout, just rocks.
Stinking hot here.

Bloodyaussie
12th March 2013, 09:37 PM
Well done mate one to remember hey !!

Envious of you to be able to go away with no kids and just relax.... my little one just head butted the table again and got his eye and nose??? when does it end??

Anyway back to your bliss.......... LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuppa
12th March 2013, 10:13 PM
when does it end??

Hate to be the one to tell you but you've got quite a while to go yet. Wait until adolescence comes around! You'll wish you were back at the head butting the table stage again! Our's is 28 this year & we still have heart in the mouth moments!
It did get better when we were able to reclaim our home for just the two of us though. A lot to be said for out of sight out of mind!

Cuppa

happygu
13th March 2013, 12:03 AM
Setup looks great Cuppa, great weather and a great spot...perfect.

The only negative thing I can see from the pics is the ladder to get in and out - it looks a little dangerous. I think that you need something a little less bulky and better adjustable for different ground heights.

General rule of thumb is 1 to 4, i.e 1 metre out from the wall - 4 metres up as a guide - Yours looks like it is the other way.

Mic

Cuppa
13th March 2013, 08:22 AM
The only negative thing I can see from the pics is the ladder to get in and out - it looks a little dangerous. I think that you need something a little less bulky and better adjustable for different ground heights.

General rule of thumb is 1 to 4, i.e 1 metre out from the wall - 4 metres up as a guide - Yours looks like it is the other way.

Mic

LOL. I must admit it does look like that Mic, but the photo shows the ladder just resting against the back of the vehicle whilst not in use. Access is not at the rear, but on the passenger side. The rail it clips to there is higher making the ladder angle appropriate. The compromise is that that access to the 'kitchen' must be closed before going to bed, but we didn't find this to be a problem (as I feared we might).
The step ladder was cut down to size & modified so that it clips onto the rail, requiring a slight lift to remove it. By using the ladder in it's 'extended' position it gives 'flat' rungs all the way up, easier on bare feet, and when folded up as a step ladder it is used for setting up & packing away the tent.

Cuppa

Bob
13th March 2013, 08:31 AM
So you got the Boss's approval Mate ???
Looks like you had a great weekend.
Great Country up there and you had a nice secluded spot.