PDA

View Full Version : Hard copy w/shop manual

Cuppa
28th February 2013, 11:12 PM
Another quickie.

A paper workshop manual for the toolkit seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts about which is better - Haynes, Gregorys or something else?

Cuppa

MudRunnerTD
28th February 2013, 11:32 PM
Easy! Download the Manual from here and host it on your iPhone or even Better your iPad! i have it on both! Awesome!

I also have a hard cover Factory Manual in the Office and the Shed ;) but i had them before this forum existed.

But the electronic one is easy to store on your device Cuppa and are simply the best.

Cuppa
1st March 2013, 08:23 AM
Yep, I do have the electronic manual, but am not sure if I've done something wrong. Is it supposed to be 'searchable' by clicking on the chapter headings at the beginning, 'cos mine isn't. If I click on a chapter heading, say 'Clutch' for example, I get a message saying 'can't be found' (see below). Am I missing something or is it normal to have to trawl through the whole thing page by page to find what I need?

I also have it in iBooks on the iPad, but of course the page numbers don'tmatch with Nissan's page numbering system, again meaning that trawling through page by page is required.

I appreciate the availability of the manual from here, definitely not complaining about something I got for free, just not sure if there is something I can do to make it more user friendly?

Cuppa

Maxhead
1st March 2013, 09:04 AM
FYI. I have the Gregorys one for the Maverick and I find it hard to read and understand. Lack of pictures/names, general information. The electronic manual is LOTS better

MudRunnerTD
1st March 2013, 04:31 PM
Mine is not searchable either which is a PITA but once you sift through it is simply the Best that you could have in front of you. Near with it. You will not find better in a crap manual from super heap. And weight saving will be a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2013, 05:30 PM
Cuppa, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head for that exact manual, but you don't need it to link from the front page anyway and yes it should be linked so if you click on clutch it opens that section

Most of the electronic manuals are broken file wise into PDF sections anyway

Example

MA - Maintenance is one PDF file
EM - Engine Mechanical is one PDF file
CL - Clutch is one file PDF file

etc........

All you need to do is click on the PDF file your after.

Not 100% sure on Ipad's ( cause I don't own one cause there sh!t! ) but I know on the PC's acrobat reader once you open the section you are after you can run searches on keywords, which can sometimes help you find things quicker

Is it the 98 manual you are after??? is so I will have a look to see how the file structure is and see if I can work out an easier way for you to access it on the ipad.

Let me know if you would prefer hard copy manuals and I will post up some bookshop links for you.

Cheers

Toddie

MudRunnerTD
1st March 2013, 05:58 PM
I must have downloaded the same version as cuppa onto my phone. On my Mac I can search sections but the one I downloaded to my phone and iPad you can't. I'll recheck which is which.

Maybe we can delete the lesser versions and stick with the sectioned version hosted here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
1st March 2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Toddie,
I gotta admit I've struggled with the whole electronic manual thing, & I'm not at all certain that what I've got is what I need! Basically I want the manual that covers my 2006 GU.

Normally I'm pretty much on top of this sort of thing, but have never quite managed it on this. I'm using a Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference. With other pdf's I don't have any problem with them being searchable.

However following your post I tried opening the sm_y61.pdf file with Adobe reader & it opened this page
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppa500/8517196019/)

and clicking on one of the 'Click' buttons opened up the manual, complete with a searchable index down the side. Thanks now I'm getting somewhere.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppa500/8517215513/)
AND the chapters on the index page link to the chpters when I click on them.

Seems your suggestion of Adobe Reader has cracked it!

SO........ is the 2004 version the latest available?

AND ....... can someone who uses the manual on an iPad tell me if it is possible to get the manual to work like this on the iPad? (In the meantime I'll go look to see if there is an Adobe Reader app for iPad).

Thanks Toddie

Cuppa
1st March 2013, 08:33 PM
Found & installed Adobe Reader app on iPad, but I'm stuffed if I can find a way to transfer the files to it to make it work like it does on the laptop. Starting to do my head in!

jack
1st March 2013, 10:01 PM
Cuppa I'm having the same iPad issues, all works fine on the PC and Laptop. Good luck with getting it to work on the iPad, I know you'll keep us updated.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd March 2013, 12:08 PM
Hi Toddie,
I gotta admit I've struggled with the whole electronic manual thing, & I'm not at all certain that what I've got is what I need! Basically I want the manual that covers my 2006 GU.

Normally I'm pretty much on top of this sort of thing, but have never quite managed it on this. I'm using a Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference. With other pdf's I don't have any problem with them being searchable.

Seems your suggestion of Adobe Reader has cracked it!

SO........ is the 2004 version the latest available?

AND ....... can someone who uses the manual on an iPad tell me if it is possible to get the manual to work like this on the iPad? (In the meantime I'll go look to see if there is an Adobe Reader app for iPad).

Thanks Toddie

Hi mate, will send you a PM shortly, The one you have is not the latest version, details to follow in PM.

And your welcome :)

Cheers

Toddie

Warwick89
10th October 2013, 09:56 PM
Guys I need help getting the manuals can't download any of them on the iPad, and YES this isn't the first thread I've commented on but I haven't got any positives yet.

Cheers if anyone can help me sort my issue out

Clunk
10th October 2013, 10:52 PM
Guys I need help getting the manuals can't download any of them on the iPad, and YES this isn't the first thread I've commented on but I haven't got any positives yet.

Cheers if anyone can help me sort my issue out

Sorry mate, the only advise I have is...... Ditch the crapple and get something useable

Cuppa
10th October 2013, 11:30 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18701-Electronic-Workshop-Manual-on-Mac-and-iPad.

Clunk
10th October 2013, 11:48 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18701-Electronic-Workshop-Manual-on-Mac-and-iPad.

Warwick has been in that thread Cuppa but obviously needs some more guidance

P4trol
11th October 2013, 07:04 AM
So the electronic copy is Nissan's patrol manual? I must download that one day when I have enough posts...

I have the Haynes paper copy. There is something to Be said for paper and being able to hold fingers in interesting pages.

A lot of the data is hidden in the individual pages for when needed.

Cuppa
11th October 2013, 08:14 AM
Warwick has been in that thread Cuppa but obviously needs some more guidance

Attention admin/mods
I have just tried again to download a manual on the ipad & had the same result as Warwick. No .rar file is downloaded, only a copy of the same 52k 'click below to download' page, & iZip only re opens a copy of that page. I'm wondering if a link is broken? From memory Toddie supplied me with direct access to the .rar file, & it appears that reaching this link is possibly a step which is missing, at least for iPad users.

Hang in there Warwick, I'm sure it'll get worked out mate.

Cuppa

Ps.all works fine on my Mac laptop

Warwick89
12th October 2013, 04:50 PM
At least I know I'm not insane guys hahaha,
Hope it does get fixed or I'll have to finally buy a laptop :(

Cheers for the help