PDA

View Full Version : gu rod ends into gq,

BigRAWesty
27th February 2013, 09:23 PM
well ive done a bit of looking around, and i find alot of people fitting the gu steering box to the gq. and when they do the have to change rod ends?? why?

i need to do my rod ends (steering rod and drag rod), and i like the look of the gu wrap around / female rod ends over the gq threaded / male ends.

so do the fit?
cheers

MudRunnerTD
27th February 2013, 09:37 PM
Not quite right Kallen.

Your can buy a male or female tie rod end depending on what you have or want. Superiors do either and will suit your setup. You are right the female tie rod end is atronger and is the premier item from Superiors.

GQ and GU have different Tapers damn it! And are not suitable to interchange. They may loosen over time and will damage the taper on both items. Saying that though a few guys I know ran a GQ rod on a Gu for a while and had no trouble.

If you are going a GU tie rod end then you need a GU steering box too ;)

Cheers Darren

BigRAWesty
27th February 2013, 10:05 PM
cool. thanks for that. a bummer the tapers are different, but good to know there is a female version out there..

next question.. my steering rod is a fixed rod end style.. and needs rod ends replace.. im guessing the balls are not changable and im up for a whole new rod?

MudRunnerTD
27th February 2013, 11:49 PM
Yep if your talking about the front drag link then buying a heavy duty 4140 chromoly with female ends sounds like a winner. Superiors do a great product that I have on both cars.

BigRAWesty
1st March 2013, 11:49 PM
Yep if your talking about the front drag link then buying a heavy duty 4140 chromoly with female ends sounds like a winner. Superiors do a great product that I have on both cars.

Yea see how the minister of finance takes the cost... Might be doing stock rod ends for a while...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)