PDA

View Full Version : Gonna need some tyres soon, Opinions on what I should get? MT or AT?

trekster
25th February 2013, 09:18 PM
Hey guys,

Rego will be up in June and I know I definitely am going to need some new tyres for the barge, The previous owners let the current ones go a bit and they are worn alot on the edges and I am not expecting them to pass, moreso hoping they fail as the minister for finance said if they fail I can get some new ones :D

Currently I think its riding on 265/70/16's They are some bad toyo brand or something I have never seen before. I don't do many kms per year here in Coffs, Maybe 10k kms max? Most of that would be travelling to and from work (6km round trip) and the odd trip into town and back on weekends etc.

My brother in-law was up on the weekend with his new 4.2 GU and its running some MT MTZ tyres which looked quite good.

I want to go up to a 285/75/16 as I am planning a 2inch lift in the very near future so want to have the 33's on for that. Should I go a Muddie like the MTZ or go for a super aggressive AT?

The car will be used for offroad on mostly tracks with some beach runs as well, I'm not a huge fan of mud but I might end up in some on the odd occasion, I was only thinking the mud type for the aggressiveness for climbing up tracks etc for grip.

I will be definitely be buying 5 as well, Theres a few different tyre places here in Coffs so surely someone will have something good for me to buy :D

Cheers,
Eric.

happygu
25th February 2013, 09:46 PM
Sounds like you will be fine with some good All-Terrains. Most of us have used AT's for years with no real problems

I have MTZ's, but I got them for a steal and think they are a great tyre, and will probably stick with them again.

Mic

threedogs
25th February 2013, 09:54 PM
Mickey Thompson 4 rib ,best of both worlds
I run Mickey t MTZs in a 305 x 16 and Cooper ATRs in 285s for hwy only ATM
I'll be going 4 rib next, chunky but still quiet

Clunk
25th February 2013, 10:05 PM
I run MT 4 rib ATZs....... Great allrounder. Previously had BFG ATs and as far as I'm concerned the Mickey Ts are so much better both on and off road. Only done 10000kms on mine so far but wearing well at the mo

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Lieney
25th February 2013, 10:11 PM
My first replacements were a cheap Maxxis option. A mate said don't do it, but I was being tight. Mud & real slippery hill-climbs in vic high country with 'the cheap Maxxis' didn't work well as all & I found myself slipping. Sand however would have been a great option, plus we're good on road.I got a set of 6 brand new muddies & new Dynamic 16x8 LRover rims for $800. Rims sold they owed me $350. Steel!!
BFG ATs I had clog if in the mud with firm undersurface.
Having said that, buying muddies would not benefit you a great deal to & from work, sand driving & the odd day out. Coopers do an aggressive AT but are $$$$.
AT tyres should suit what you are after & be reasonably priced.
If you drive with nutters, get an aggressive set. If you're a little more conservative, a good set of ATs will be ample.

macca86
25th February 2013, 10:12 PM
Same as clunk bfg at to mt 4 rib wow much better tyre.