PDA

View Full Version : Rear recovery points

outback
24th February 2013, 10:31 AM
So far the only type of rear vehicle recovery point seems to be using the tow bar with a recovery hitch.

Are there such things a s recovery points that bolt on where the tow bar is attached to the vehicle?
It would seem to make more sense to have 2 such points on the rear of the vehicle here as they are then directly attached to the chassis.

I do realize there are replacements for that loop that Nissan provides but I am looking at other options here.

In essence I am just thinking of other options.

threedogs
24th February 2013, 10:39 AM
Good question never been asked. 99.9% of ppl would use the towbar.
Not many 4x4 without one. There is a tie down point under the rear
but how strong it is ,is anyones guess, more shipping tie down point.
Only ones I make either replace loop or slide in hitch

outback
24th February 2013, 10:55 AM
I was not discounting your loop replacements just thinking outside the box so to speak.
As it is a standard nissan tow bar is rated by nissan as a 3500Kg bar. I just wonder if used as a snatch point how over loaded/stressed this becomes over time. The tow bar is bolted on with 3 bolts per side and 2 in the middle.
I just thought the 3 bolts per side might be a better point to consider.

threedogs
24th February 2013, 11:07 AM
The load is spread over a wide area. I to think about the bolts on towbars.
especially older 4x4, they may only have plain black unrated bolts that are rusted to all get out.
All the bog holes and river crossings over 20yrs, IMO these older 4x4 should look at their towbar bolts
or just replace them, Not out of the question for one to break loose during a savage recovery attempt
and take someone out. My towbars only 2 yrs old but maybe Growler could remove a few towbar bolts if any
fitted and report on condition, never heard of one ripping loose but always a first time for anything.

megatexture
24th February 2013, 11:17 AM
Not wrong 3d a mate of mine has a rusted out hilux and on his way home one day he lightly touched the brakes and one of his wheels locked up ... After inspection he found that the calliper had rusted through and snapped clean off the axle and locked it up