PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing first MK patrol

TasHal
20th February 2013, 09:52 AM
G'day guys, I posted this in my intro but was told I might get more response here. Basically looking at buying my first patrol. Looking at two MK's that are the same year, after some advice on which one may be a better option.

first option:
MK Patrol 1985, gold in colour, has been very well looked after and is in pretty amazing condition, Engine is a petrol L28 2.8, has elec trailer brake setup, has only done 140,000, no rust.

Second choice:
MK Patrol 1985, silver in colour, has been serviced every 10,000, is a little bit rougher with a tiny little bit of rust, engine is the 3.5 turbo diesel, has done over 300,000. New tyres.

Both prices are 5 grand negotiable.

Cheers
Hal

MudRunnerTD
20th February 2013, 09:54 AM
The deisel in a heart beat.

I reckon the price is way too high though bud. For the $5000 mark I'd be looking for a GQ only. Coils all round rather than leaf springs. No brainer! Chase a GQ

Bloodyaussie
20th February 2013, 09:56 AM
I would go the cleaner one... plenty of bargaining power so drive hard!!

MudRunnerTD
20th February 2013, 09:57 AM
For 5g you will get a GQ 4.2 petrol maybe on gas. Easy

Bloodyaussie
20th February 2013, 10:01 AM
Was what I was thinking, I have had leaf spring front ends and lets just say it is not the most comfy of rides!!!!

TasHal
20th February 2013, 10:05 AM
Cheers for the advice, yeah im only looking at spending 4 max on these two. Would probably offer 3,5000. Yeah struggling to find a cheap GQ in Tas :(

taslucas
20th February 2013, 12:56 PM
Hi again mate. I replied in your intro thread but I'll do it again here.

This GQ is a little over your budget but a damn bargain:
http://m.gumtree.com.au/1991-nissan-patrol-wagon-gq/v?adId=1014428341#patrol

FanTapstic!

taslucas
20th February 2013, 12:57 PM
Heres another good buy:

http://m.gumtree.com.au/gq-patrol-maverick/v?adId=1013857957#patrol
FanTapstic!

rusty_nail
20th February 2013, 01:02 PM
wow those GQs are nice prices, specially that immaculate LWB. pretty jealous of you damn tasweigans!

taslucas
20th February 2013, 01:11 PM
There's a heap of great buys on gumtree down here at the moment.
Jump on and have a search. There's three around the 10k mark that are total bargains!!

FanTapstic!

taslucas
20th February 2013, 01:12 PM
Oh and if you find anything you like the look if up this way tashal, id be happy to go check it out for ya

FanTapstic!

taslucas
20th February 2013, 01:25 PM
heres another LWB GQ $4800
Pretty standard looking apart from the 33" tyres but ONLY 146,000kms!
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dover/cars-vans-utes/patrol-/1014584449

TasHal
20th February 2013, 02:05 PM
Cheers for all the replies, this just came on gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dover/cars-vans-utes/patrol-/1014584449
Spoke to the guy has a rear main seal leak though, looking at over a grand to fix though yeah?

TasHal
20th February 2013, 02:20 PM
Cheers for the replies this just came on gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dover/cars-vans-utes/patrol-/1014584449

Has rear main seal leaking the bloke said but other than that its in good nick, my mechanic said he would main seal for quite cheap.

What ya recon?

Hal

TasHal
20th February 2013, 02:28 PM
sorry about the double post, didnt see the second page haha. Im going to have a look at that one tonight with only 140,000 on clock.

What are your thoughts on this GQ taslucas?

taslucas
20th February 2013, 03:02 PM
It looks neat in the pics. if it's a genuine 146,000 ks then id say you've got years of trouble free motoring.
It looks like a steel bullbar and that's a real bonus.
Ask if it's got lpg as well.

If you can budget another $1000 or so in the future to put a 2" lift under it then id definitely go for it.

For the tyres, bullbar and the low ks alone id say it'd definitely worth the price. Offer 4000 and work up.

See you on the tracks:-)

FanTapstic!

rusty_nail
20th February 2013, 03:12 PM
is it running 33's? im pretty sure it has a body lift too

MudRunnerTD
20th February 2013, 03:26 PM
If you are paying for a rear main seal to be replace you should be giving serious thought to putting a new clutch in it at the same time. The Gear box is coming out to get to the rear main and that will be the bulk of the cost.

threedogs
20th February 2013, 04:42 PM
Go coils over leaves everytime even if you need to wait a bit longer.
Seems Lucas has his eyes peeled for you, a 4x4 will come along
be patient. You'll be disappointed in leaves, not saying you cant
get them to flex but coil is way better

TasHal
20th February 2013, 08:13 PM
I went and had a look at GQ 1990, its dual fuel works on both petrol and LPG, took it for a drive it ran really well.
It has 2" lift and pretty much new 33" tyres. K's are genuine. I put a deposit down and am picking it up tomorrow. My mechanic quoted me 280 to fix the rear main seal if i supply the gasket, and yes mudrunner i rekon ill replace clutch too when the rear seal gets done.

Thanks for all the advice fellas, im glad I went the GQ rather than an older MK.

Will post pics soon.
Hal

taslucas
20th February 2013, 08:50 PM
I went and had a look at GQ 1990, its dual fuel works on both petrol and LPG, took it for a drive it ran really well.
It has 2" lift and pretty much new 33" tyres. K's are genuine. I put a deposit down and am picking it up tomorrow. My mechanic quoted me 280 to fix the rear main seal if i supply the gasket, and yes mudrunner i rekon ill replace clutch too when the rear seal gets done.

Thanks for all the advice fellas, im glad I went the GQ rather than an older MK.

Will post pics soon.
Hal

Awesome news mate!!! That's great to hear!!

That is a really good buy.

:-):-):-):-)

FanTapstic!

MQ MAD
20th February 2013, 09:36 PM
Its great this place .....
Firstly asking about over priced MQ/Mks then getting steered in the right direction
No im not being sarcastic......
Reality is why buy something older when newer is around similar money
These old MQ/MKs are a great ol beast,but for 4,5 grand youd have rocks in your head if GQs wernt on the list

taslucas
20th February 2013, 09:47 PM
Its great this place .....
Firstly asking about over priced MQ/Mks then getting steered in the right direction
No im not being sarcastic......
Reality is why buy something older when newer is around similar money
These old MQ/MKs are a great ol beast,but for 4,5 grand youd have rocks in your head if GQs wernt on the list

The only rocks he'll have to think about now are the ones he'll be crawling over in his new GQ:-)

FanTapstic!

threedogs
20th February 2013, 09:58 PM
Thats great, you'll be glad you went coil.
straight off your on equal terms with the rest of us.
NOW PICS PLEASE WE NEED PICS

mudski
22nd February 2013, 11:16 AM
The MK's never had a 3.5ltr diesel too bud. They were an SD33T, 3.3ltr. Coils are better than leaves but I had an MK shorty 15year ago and it went anywhere my mates GQ shorty would.
I wish I never sold that car too. I wonder where it is now....Hmm

GQ TANK
22nd February 2013, 10:18 PM
I had a MK LWB that started with a l28 - ended up dropping a rb30 in it - it was a great car. It got knocked off - with the insurance payout I brought a GQ with a TB4.2S donk.

Im very happy with the GQ - its a way better truck.