PDA

View Full Version : Plastic crates (Fish crates)

Cuppa
18th February 2013, 11:42 AM
Does anyone here have any association with the fishing industry or the plastics industry?

I'm chasing a couple of durable plastic crates to slide into the space under my pod for storing tools & recovery gear. My search on the net turned up these 'Fillet crates', which are an ideal size & should be pretty durable being made of HDPE.

Measurements are 600mm L x 400mm W x 125mm H

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/90.jpg

http://www.bcsplastics.com.au/plastic-products/1311.html

I contacted the suppliers who basically told me if wanted a container load of them they could supply them, but as I only need two -"sorry no can do".

Not fussed if they are new or used.

I have found one alternative, 'tote boxes' made of polypropylene of similar dimensions, but feel because the plastic is 'harder' it will be less durable over time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Cuppa

Bob
18th February 2013, 11:50 AM
Maybe one of these might suffice Cuppa

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/plastic-crates-hdpe-a-plus-plastics/307740789?pageSize=20

Cuppa
18th February 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Bob, good find. I got real excited for a moment, but unfortunately they are 200mm high & my max height is only 140mm, otherwise they would've been perfect.

Cuppa

macca86
18th February 2013, 12:11 PM
You could also as plastic fabrication shops to grab them to your needs but is pricy. Think stainless steel prices.

Cuppa
18th February 2013, 12:21 PM
You could also as plastic fabrication shops to grab them to your needs but is pricy. Think stainless steel prices.

Thanks, but Gulp! That's probably going a bit overboard I reckon.

Cuppa

Cuppa
18th February 2013, 08:46 PM
I have continued chasing them, found a manufacturer this side of Melbourne who would only supply to the trade. When asked if they supplied anyone in the Latrobe Valley they said "Yes, Bunnings!". Contacted Bunnings & spent a while on the phone with an employee who didn't know the difference between millimetres & centimetres to eventually learn that they didn't have what I wanted...... but could make a special order at no extra cost! After she cut me off, not knowing how to transfer me to the 'special orders dept' I rang back & am now awaiting a call back with a price tomorrow.

my third 256
19th February 2013, 09:03 AM
why not make it out of wood and keeps the cost down
what about this mob
http://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/fish-crates-a-plus-plastics/brand-a-plus-plastics/307801045/4294205038

Cuppa
19th February 2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks MT,
I'm hoping plastic will keep the weight down a bit, could make from wood, but the weight increases with the required sturdiness. Also with such a limited height (140mm) every millimetre is worth keeping, & wood would end up 'using' more than the plastic. The Blackwood link was a good thought, but they are too tall to fit my space. The crates I am now looking at getting also make better use of space than the stackable fillet crates.

Cuppa

macca
19th February 2013, 11:40 AM
Cuppa you could use the ones Bob sugested and run around them with a circular saw. Lost the strength of the top lip but fit more in and lighter.

taslucas
19th February 2013, 12:56 PM
Could you fit runners under your pod and make some slide out draws? Probably lose a bit of height but would gain ease of use?

FanTapstic!

Cuppa
19th February 2013, 11:30 PM
I ordered some through the local Bunnings today. Apparently it will take 2 to 3 weeks for them to get from the manufacturer in Hallam to Bunnings in Traralgon. Anyone travelling on the Princes highway should beware of an extremely slow moving truck!

NP99
20th September 2013, 12:28 AM
Did that truck get there or is it still on the road? :)

Cuppa
20th September 2013, 07:00 AM
Did that truck get there or is it still on the road? :)

You must have some extra time on your hands to be trawling through old threads!
That truck ended up taking only a few days, & the trays are a perfect size for one of my 'under pod' storage spaces. I have used 3 of them, the two 'inner' ones with rope attached for pulling them out. A much better solution than a long drawer. I did made a long drawer for the left hand under pod storage space, but in the end decided not to use it, finding that the OzTent fits better without it & & with less weight.

Cuppa

Stropp
20th September 2013, 12:59 PM
i just received a book in the mail and it had exactly what you were looking for :) bit late but there you go.

Tonks
20th September 2013, 03:26 PM
That truck ended up taking only a few days, & the trays are a perfect size for one of my 'under pod' storage spaces. I have used 3 of them, the two 'inner' ones with rope attached for pulling them out. A much better solution than a long drawer. I did made a long drawer for the left hand under pod storage space, but in the end decided not to use it, finding that the OzTent fits better without it & & with less weight.

Cuppa
Hey Cuppa what did they end up costing you,

Tonks.

Cuppa
20th September 2013, 08:03 PM
Hey Cuppa what did they end up costing you,

Tonks.

Don't remember exactly sorry. Twenty something dollars each I think.

NP99
20th September 2013, 10:26 PM
See, that extra time on my hands ended up being useful :)

TPC
20th September 2013, 10:36 PM

Cuppa

Like the idea of the rope, will do the same with the crates in my camper trailer.