PDA

View Full Version : Awning light kit (ebay)

rottodiver
17th February 2013, 04:59 PM
Hey guys and girls.. thought i would review he awning night light..... i bought this for 101 dollars on ebay from Lightnites L.E.D lighting
This is a quote cut and paste from their site

* Highest lumen output of any LED light strip available.
* Highest number of LED's per metre.
* Flexible & Submersible.
* Super strong 3M adhesive backing.
* Wireless remote standard across the range.
* Remote on/off and dimmer function.
* Inline "Micro" RF receiver.
* Most comprehensive kit on the market.
* 2 Year " Replacement" Warranty.
* Incredible value for money

the one i bought was 2m long and i was a little sceptical but i was extremely impressed, when we were camping last night it was pitch black (obviuosly it does that when the sun goes down) and this led light strip alone lit up all we needed,i stuck it to the outer side of my awning ()with the 3m tape it came connected too) i have now rolled it up in the awning ready to go next time. the remote worked well from about 30 to 40 meters away(no where near as far as they promoted on there video but definately far enough for anything anyone would need.
i am not the least impressed with the lack of communication from the company when i asked them a question but the product was well worth it. Only real downful i can really see is if the remote gets lost or damaged i am not sure if a replacement could be purchased(not that it would help if out camping for a while although the lights came straight on when power was connected to them!!

i have posted a couple pics i took last night while camping!!

Scotty

threedogs
17th February 2013, 05:03 PM
my awning led strip light has 60 smd leds per mtr, cost $20 to my front door that bright had to fit inline dimmer
5mtr long so 2.5 mtr left over for other jobs.
where are pics???

rottodiver
17th February 2013, 05:16 PM
looks like you got a way better deal than me then!!!!!! oh well...win some lose some i guess

Scotty

threedogs
17th February 2013, 05:28 PM
Is yours already made up? For $101 think its abit steep IMO
Looks bright enough I stuck my cool white strip to awning housing
then plug in an inline dimmer
If still too bright I stuck a red led strip light their as well
How did you mount on that side???

rottodiver
17th February 2013, 05:31 PM
yeah was all made up... plug in and away we went....... found the remote useful aswell as we turned all the lights off after going to bed!!! yeah maybe a bit steep by comparison to yours.. on another note the 3 brightnesses were great too, because after cooking we turned them down to 25% (3 stages 25,50 and 100 per cent) and it was great!!!

Scotty

Winnie
17th February 2013, 05:44 PM
found the remote useful aswell as we turned all the lights off after going to bed!!!

What a great idea.... I see Ironman are now supplying LED strip lighting with their awnings.

megatexture
17th February 2013, 06:05 PM
went to rays outdoors and they had 5m strip lights (just the strip no plug) for 115$!! I bought the same thing on eBay for 13$ delivered to my home. The kit you bought is better value then at rays and good if you have no clue with electrical or soldering but would be to over priced for myself.

Gabe
17th February 2013, 08:36 PM
Anyone know how much power these use as I was thinking of getting some and I don't have dual batts...?

MudRunnerTD
17th February 2013, 08:41 PM
Anyone know how much power these use as I was thinking of getting some and I don't have dual batts...?

Basically Zero mate! Go for your life.

Buying a 5m length and cutting it up is a winner though, do that. Buy strip and then a dimmer and an inline switch and make you own for next to nothing. The dimmer is a winner.

Clunk
17th February 2013, 08:43 PM
Nice one Scotty, for simple plug and play already to go, I don't think you paid over the odds mate. Specially if you consider the average hourly rate is approx $80 - $100 an hour now. So if you think about it, you may have actually save yourself some money. ;)

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

MudRunnerTD
17th February 2013, 08:45 PM
Nice one Scotty, for simple plug and play already to go, I don't think you paid over the odds mate. Specially if you consider the average hourly rate is approx $80 - $100 an hour now. So if you think about it, you may have actually save yourself some money. ;)

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

Yep I agree. If your not that way inclined then it's great value. The remote is a nice touch. The seller is not profiting as much as some others so it's a reasonable deal all round. Enjoy mate

Gabe
17th February 2013, 09:25 PM
Basically Zero mate! Go for your life.

Buying a 5m length and cutting it up is a winner though, do that. Buy strip and then a dimmer and an inline switch and make you own for next to nothing. The dimmer is a winner.
Cheers, was looking at this:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150985823539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and this:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150985823539?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
cheap and will have enough leftover to do the barn doors too

rottodiver
17th February 2013, 09:40 PM
Hey a gabe.... 30 led a meter seems a bit light on.. Mine is 120 so when I set mine to 25 percent on the remote I assume that would be similar output.... Not really bright enough to cook dinner but I guess you could put 4 lengths of 2m up and that should work!!

Scotty

Gabe
17th February 2013, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty much after something for the awning just for sitting under for a few drinks rather than cooking under but I guess if it's not bright enough I can do what you suggest and put a few more strips up, should be enough there for what i need...

mudski
18th February 2013, 03:31 PM
yeah was all made up... plug in and away we went....... found the remote useful aswell as we turned all the lights off after going to bed!!! yeah maybe a bit steep by comparison to yours.. on another note the 3 brightnesses were great too, because after cooking we turned them down to 25% (3 stages 25,50 and 100 per cent) and it was great!!!

Scotty
Yeah I made my own using 5050SMD leds. 2 of them about a meter long each, with 7 metre leads and they can be piggy backed of each other. I only used a water proof on/off switch. As I don't see the need to have the lights on at all if your sitting around the camp fire. If you cook in the dark you have them on, and turn them off when your not there. Just wasting power in my opinion.
Last year we went camping and the only spot left we near a family, I though it would be good as they will be quiet, which they were, but the had lights on the whole bloody night which spoils the atmosphere of camping. Its worst when people camp using a generator. Nothing a handful of sand in the tank wont fix...

threedogs
18th February 2013, 04:59 PM
They'd use bugger all power if only using 4 hrs a night, My dimmer is %%% to love 75%-50%-25% real battery saver that one
We use as night wears on and eyes get weary lol.

mudski
18th February 2013, 08:32 PM
Jeez TD that way to technical. KISS is your idea, and its not KISS mate.

Lieney
21st February 2013, 08:19 PM
Gabe, and others that are interested.
A 'standard' LED draws approximately 0.06A
A 5W lobe (1 park light) draws 0.42A
The quantity of current your battery is able to deliver over time relates to the Ah capacity of it. Talking about good battery, being charged properly.
eg a 100Ah battery can deliver 100A for 1h; or it can deliver 1A for 100h.
That's pretty much the crux of it
So you could run ten 5W globes to give you lighting and your battery will last just under 24 hours.
OR you could run near on 70 plus LEDs for about the same time.
Given that you probably would not need 70 LEDs, as you will most likely be blind, you could use maybe half that and double the time.
I used four daytime running lights (all for $13 delivered from Ebay) on the side of my little caravan and they give plenty of light.
I could have them going 24 hours, on full brightness, before the battery needs charging again.
Buy a 5m strip off Ebay and cut / solder them yourself.
Want a step-by-step guide? I can do this as I have done for a couple mates. clieneman@yahoo.com.au

megatexture
21st February 2013, 08:24 PM
Might be better to get pm's rather than put your email in public to get spam mail, just a suggestion

Lieney
21st February 2013, 08:28 PM
Gabe, and others that are interested.
A 'standard' LED draws approximately 0.06A. This is the 'theoretical' figure. I am certain some are more, or less.
A 5W lobe (1 park light 5-7Amps) draws 0.42A
The quantity of current your battery is able to deliver over time relates to the Ah capacity of it. (of course this is a fully charged and in good the condition etc)
eg a 100Ah battery can deliver 100A for 1hr; or it can deliver 1A for 100hr, or 50A for 1/2 hr etc.
So you could run ten 5W globes to give you lighting and your battery will last just under 24 hours.
OR you could run near on 70 plus LEDs for about the same time.
Given that you probably would not need 70 LEDs, as you will most likely be blind, you could use maybe half that, thus double the time. This is without charging the battery.
I used four daytime running lights on the side of my little caravan and they give plenty of light. Complements of Ebay at $2.14 a pair plus freight. $13.90 total Cheers.
I could have them going 24 hours +/-, on full brightness, before the battery needs charging again.
Buy a 5m strip off Ebay and cut / solder them yourself. It has adhesive on the back. Get the 600 LED per strip as there are 300 ones also. $9.30 delivered to my door. Also have little flat mini switches that dim, flash etc and are listed for $3.99. I got 2 for $7. Look out epileptics cause WOW!!
Want a step-by-step guide on how to cut your 5m strip in pieces and solder it? :clapping:
I can do this as I have done for a couple mates. clieneman@yahoo.com.au

MEGOMONSTER
20th April 2013, 11:26 PM
Hey guys and girls.. thought i would review he awning night light..... i bought this for 101 dollars on ebay from Lightnites L.E.D lighting
This is a quote cut and paste from their site

* Highest lumen output of any LED light strip available.
* Highest number of LED's per metre.
* Flexible & Submersible.
* Super strong 3M adhesive backing.
* Wireless remote standard across the range.
* Remote on/off and dimmer function.
* Inline "Micro" RF receiver.
* Most comprehensive kit on the market.
* 2 Year " Replacement" Warranty.
* Incredible value for money

the one i bought was 2m long and i was a little sceptical but i was extremely impressed, when we were camping last night it was pitch black (obviuosly it does that when the sun goes down) and this led light strip alone lit up all we needed,i stuck it to the outer side of my awning ()with the 3m tape it came connected too) i have now rolled it up in the awning ready to go next time. the remote worked well from about 30 to 40 meters away(no where near as far as they promoted on there video but definately far enough for anything anyone would need.
i am not the least impressed with the lack of communication from the company when i asked them a question but the product was well worth it. Only real downful i can really see is if the remote gets lost or damaged i am not sure if a replacement could be purchased(not that it would help if out camping for a while although the lights came straight on when power was connected to them!!

i have posted a couple pics i took last night while camping!!

Scotty

I purchased one of these a month ago and have been sent two defective units, they have now refunded my money and said this to me, " we don't feel we will be able to make you 100% happy with your purchase."

NP99
21st April 2013, 07:53 AM
Some of the pre made kits are $300 plus!!!

rottodiver
21st April 2013, 09:39 AM
Megamonster,
Sorry to hear that, I have used mine quite a bit now and no problems at all...what were the faults out of curiosity... Maybe I haven't noticed it yet!
Scotty

MEGOMONSTER
21st April 2013, 12:04 PM
Megamonster,
Sorry to hear that, I have used mine quite a bit now and no problems at all...what were the faults out of curiosity... Maybe I haven't noticed it yet!
Scotty

They weren't faulty as such but slightly defective.
I had been sent two units where the silicone rubber surrounding the LED strip was cracked right through to the strip.
The lights them selves were great.

MEGOMONSTER
21st April 2013, 08:02 PM
I asked and told him several times that I do not want a refund but a replacement.
I also asked that he personally check the unit before sending the third unit.
The reply I received was him saying that he has refunded the purchase price.