PDA

View Full Version : Bigger petrol/gas tanks?

katwoman
2nd December 2010, 10:32 PM
My '98 is duel fuel but only 80 lt gas and 30 lt pet. The 'sub' tank is petrol, while main tank is gas. As anyone who drives a ST4500 would know, these two combined dont go far. Is it possible to have bigger tanks for both, without putting gas tank in car.
I dont like dedicated gas, and straight petrol? HA, not selling my house to run the car. But do like to run petrol reguarly.:p

YNOT
2nd December 2010, 10:46 PM
Not much you can do about the gas tank.
You can get replacement sub tanks (petrol) that will increase capacity to about 70 litres. Try;

www.thelongranger.com.au

or

www.longrange.com.au

Tony

cruiseliner
3rd December 2010, 12:38 AM
Gday
My st4500 is on petrol gas running 106l lpg tank and an LRA sub tank of 75 usable litres of petrol.
Scott

katwoman
3rd December 2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks Scott. Where are the tanks?

YNOT
3rd December 2010, 07:03 AM
Scott, is that gas tank capacity water capacity or usable litres?

Tony

Bigrig
3rd December 2010, 07:32 PM
My LPG tank is 90 usable litres, and the petrol tank is after market carrying 72 litres ... not sure there would be any difference in the setup between the GQ and the GU (not that substantial anyway). Definitely can look into a larger petrol tank, but as you say, you're only running petrol every now and then to keep the system lubricated and clean etc - unless you are planning long distance trips, or travel in remote/regional areas where LPG is not as available, then the decision to get a bigger fuel tank is just a "how many kilometres do I do in a week, and how many times do I end up going to the servo" question (i.e. do you get frustrated at having to pull into a servo every 3 days to fill up? If not, then you could spend the dollars elsewhere!!:santa:).

ripper
11th December 2010, 03:41 AM
Our GQ has both tanks underneath. Put 106L LPG in the other day, and I believe the petrol tank is 75, but haven't had a chance to test it.

EDIT: Photos of our petrol tank here if you want to see how it fits. It's fine for what we want to do, but wouldn't work for anyone doing any serious rock climbing.
photobucket.com/ripper (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/ripperdeals/)

Bob
11th December 2010, 08:23 AM
My 98 GU 4.5L has 106L LPG usable and I think about 30 Litres Petrol. On a trip I get about 530 K's per Tank of Gas however I am not sure about distance on Petrol. The 4.5 starts on Petrol and switches to Gas after warming up.

katwoman
26th March 2011, 09:54 PM
http://www.dnaoffroad.com.au/products.php?product=GU-Patrol-LWB-80lt-replacement-sub-tank
Will this fit with a gas tank ?

YNOT
27th March 2011, 12:35 AM
If your gas tank is fitted in place of the main petrol tank (behind the rear axle between the chassis rails) then yes that will fit as it replaces the sub tank on the drivers side in front of the rear axle.

Tony