PDA

View Full Version : Legal Lift Laws QLD

GQJays
16th February 2013, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me in plain english...what are the legal lift heights, including tyres and suspension are in Queensland??? For a GQ Patrol??? I am hearing and seeing so many different things about this...just trying to find someone that actually knows what they are talking about...I cant download the info from Main Roads for some reason...thanks for any help...

Cheers Jays

threedogs
16th February 2013, 03:08 PM
There is a thread on it somewhere but basically Aus wide 2" lift and 285s on 8" rims thats it
after that you'll need engineers report

Bigrig
16th February 2013, 03:19 PM
Qld is as follows:

2" maximum increase in tyres permissible (33" or 285/75R16 - basically 33" either way as outer diameter)

2" maximum increase in spring height.

2" maximum body lift.

You can have all 3 for a total clearance lift of 125mm (5" - obviously 2" in tyres equals 1" lift from the hub).

You CANNOT exceed 50mm (2") for any category individually - that is, you cannot do 1" on tyres and apply the 1" saving to springs and have a 3" lift - not allowed.

Up to 75mm (3") you don't need it engineered, but over this height to 125mm it is supposed to be engineered including the possibility of having to perform slalom tests to ensure stability in line with original vehicle specs.

These guidelines were released in the VSB updates late last year (November 1st I think).

I'd Tap That!!

GQJays
21st February 2013, 08:14 PM
Hey BigRig, so if the Gq come standard with 31" tyres that means I can put 35" tyres on legally yeah???

Lieney
21st February 2013, 08:40 PM
GQJays you have a point. Going 31" to 35" would only raise the car 2"; however, I think you'll find a 2" diameter limit.
When I was up there a few years back I got hold of a QLD modification booklet. This stipulated exactly what lift and how much.
BigRig, I lived in Townsville and at the time, I could have 4" suspension, 2" body, but I could not (from memory) increase my tyres by that amount.
Although I was running 35s on the Lux with a 4" lift.
Mechanic would not give me the tick until I proved it was a 4" lift, and did that and then explained the modifications booklet.
Personally, although BigRig may well be right (and as a 4x4er in QLD you may well be) I would be chasing this mod booklet down, emailing QLD tpt and getting written documents on exactly what you can have and where.
I have lived QLD, NSW, ACT and now SA (thanks to my wonderful career) and I have pretty much found that there is now a limit of 2" regardless of what 'lift' you are doing. SO you could have a 2" suspension, but cannot then raise the body. Or you could do 1" of each.
Tyre diameter is another issue and have found that 50mm dia was the legal limit back a few years in QLD. SA its 15mm.
My question: If my muddies wear to half way, are they now illegal??
Can I have 32" tyres on my patrol that are half worn? etc etc
Get it in writing from QLD TPT, Engineer etc and if you get nicked, show em.
If BigRig is right, I'll be moving back up I think as SA, with a VIC rego car is crap

macca86
21st February 2013, 08:53 PM
Big rig is right he does his research knows his shiz. 33' tyres is max aloud as its overall diameter change

GQJays
21st February 2013, 09:01 PM
Ok...I get it...will stick with my 33" tyres thanks guys...

Bigrig
21st February 2013, 09:29 PM
No mate - 2" maximum increase on tyres to a maximum OD of 33" - 35's are outright illegal and I think they're already enforcing that one ...

I'd Tap That!!

Oopsey - was logged in on the wrong account!! lol

I'd Tap That!!

Bigrig
21st February 2013, 09:33 PM
GQJays you have a point. Going 31" to 35" would only raise the car 2"; however, I think you'll find a 2" diameter limit.
When I was up there a few years back I got hold of a QLD modification booklet. This stipulated exactly what lift and how much.
BigRig, I lived in Townsville and at the time, I could have 4" suspension, 2" body, but I could not (from memory) increase my tyres by that amount.
Although I was running 35s on the Lux with a 4" lift.
Mechanic would not give me the tick until I proved it was a 4" lift, and did that and then explained the modifications booklet.
Personally, although BigRig may well be right (and as a 4x4er in QLD you may well be) I would be chasing this mod booklet down, emailing QLD tpt and getting written documents on exactly what you can have and where.
I have lived QLD, NSW, ACT and now SA (thanks to my wonderful career) and I have pretty much found that there is now a limit of 2" regardless of what 'lift' you are doing. SO you could have a 2" suspension, but cannot then raise the body. Or you could do 1" of each.
Tyre diameter is another issue and have found that 50mm dia was the legal limit back a few years in QLD. SA its 15mm.
My question: If my muddies wear to half way, are they now illegal??
Can I have 32" tyres on my patrol that are half worn? etc etc
Get it in writing from QLD TPT, Engineer etc and if you get nicked, show em.
If BigRig is right, I'll be moving back up I think as SA, with a VIC rego car is crap

Hey mate

The DOT guide is available on the website and it actually applies until the embargo period (12 months I believe) is over - that said, the VSB code has been updated already, and will be released well before that time .. I have a copy of the DOT code on my phone for those "boys in blue" moments and it has served me well thus far ...

That said, I have compliance plates for my mods and a certificate for my suspension lift (no plate is provided for suspension up here - certificate only and they can still enforce a slalom test if they wish).

If it says 35" x whatever other dimensions on the side of the tyre mate, then I'd suggest the "worn tread" theory is out the window.

I'd Tap That!!

megatexture
21st February 2013, 09:39 PM
Call me lazy scotty but would you have a link to that ? Ok yea I'm lazy lol

Bigrig
21st February 2013, 09:50 PM
Call me lazy scotty but would you have a link to that ? Ok yea I'm lazy lol

I'll jump on the laptop and post it up boss - give me ten.

I'd Tap That!!

megatexture
21st February 2013, 09:56 PM
No rush mate I'd be interested in having a read can you make it 5 lol

Bigrig
21st February 2013, 09:58 PM
No rush mate I'd be interested in having a read can you make it 5 lol

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20modifications/Industry%20codes%20of%20practice/qldcodeofpracticevehiclemodifications1112part1.pdf

Page 28 ...

macca86
21st February 2013, 10:02 PM
You can run 35's if you get marks portal axles as they are engineered except qld but I don't have a spare 20g for them haha if you can't drive it in 33's you prob shouldn't do it anyway

megatexture
21st February 2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/Vehicle%20standards%20and%20modifications/Vehicle%20modifications/Industry%20codes%20of%20practice/qldcodeofpracticevehiclemodifications1112part1.pdf

Page 28 ...

Thanks mate your a champion

wattsy2013st
24th February 2013, 02:33 AM
[QUOTE=Bigrig;333767]Qld is as follows:

2" maximum increase in tyres permissible (33" or 285/75R16 - basically 33" either way as outer diameter)

2" maximum body lift.

does the body lift have to be approved in any way im sure there is something now thats states 1 it has to have crusher tube center and mod plated in some way

Bigrig
24th February 2013, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Bigrig;333767]Qld is as follows:

2" maximum body lift.

does the body lift have to be approved in any way im sure there is something now thats states 1 it has to have crusher tube center and mod plated in some way

Not sure mate - I had heard something along those lines, and it may be hidden somewhere in the mix, but haven't found anything specifically related to body lift engineering specs - that said, there's a couple of that specify the engineering requirement for suspension when lowering, so if it were to exist, if say it'd be in another mod guide ...

I'll have a hunt later and see if I can find anything ...

Just tap it in ... taaapp it in ....

Tomav
16th April 2017, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys, I've read on a couple of Forums now that you can have a combo of body/suspension/tyres to give you a total lift of 125mm. Does anyone know where this info is coming from? As all I can find is 50mm total all elements combined...

file:///Users/HTA/Downloads/20sectionlssuspensionsteering%20(1).pdf

threedogs
16th April 2017, 02:53 PM
33" or 305mm max tyre and a 50mm suspension lift.
If you want to run bigger tyres you'll need to get it engineered $1600
or there abouts.
Running 33"s and having a 50mm lift with the STD rear LSD and maybe
a front locker will see you go most places on this planet. Then throw in
a winch and then you're nearly unstoppable LOL LOL
You dont want your ride looking like a skate board just a nice wide stance
with some aggressive mud tyres, makes for a very capable 4x4