PDA

View Full Version : Recovery gear & weight savng musings & questions

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 09:03 PM
Firstly please allow me a little leeway here. I am discussing gear that I have never yet had need to use, so if it is clear that anything I say is dumb, it's not because I'm dumb, just ignorant. Treat me gently!

My wife & I spent this afternoon trying to generate a list of what we want to carry in the Patrol whilst touring long term. A huge task, & a bit different to what is required for short holidays & breaks.

With ThreeDogs question about the weight of our rig still resonating, part of our process (still unfinished) was about saving weight.

I have already taken on board the weight saving & safety suggestion made recently by TD to replace the steel winch cable & rollers with dyneema rope & a poly hause, & intend to do this. Apart from the weight saved by this swap, I guess I would also save the weight of the ARB winch blanket I was given for Christmas, more kilos. Or should I still use the winch blanket with the dyneema rope?

I have a Warn XD9000 winch (& no idea of the length of steel cable it has on it). What is the desirable length of Dyneema to fit onto it, including what I understand to be be the necessary protective sleeve to wrap around the winch drum?

I have an equaliser strap, a tree protector strap & a snatch strap. As yet I dont' have a drag chain, a tow strap or a winch extension strap.

Would it be appropriate to use a length of dyneema rope as a tow/winch extension strap? If so, if I were to buy a longer than needed winch rope, how easy would it be to cut it & make up the extra into this second strap? Or would I be better off to buy two dyneema ropes ready made up with fittings? I am assuming that the dyneema would be much lighter than webbing straps?? Yes/no??

Drag chain. What is a good length & what rated working load do most people use?
If using on the rear of the vehicle where I have a single (tow bar mounted) recovery point to attach a drag chain to. If using the front I have two recovery plates. Am I correct to assume I would attach a drag chain to just one recovery plate as opposed to both as I would when using a recovery strap?

Snatch blocks. I have two of them, but note in that 'mother of all lists' that DX Grunt posted that they only carried one. These are heavy suckers, so carrying only one would be a useful weight saving. How many snatch blocks do others usually carry?

Bow Shackles. I have 3 x 4.75t rated shackles. Is that enough? How many do others usually carry?

thanks
Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
15th February 2013, 09:21 PM
30mx9 is a standard length I think... I have 2 ropes and is so much easier to carry a spare when they dont weigh much and wrap up pretty tight..

macca
15th February 2013, 09:29 PM
Cuppa those are hard questions, when I first joined our local club a bloke said take all the recovery gear you have.

Its better to look at it than look for it!

I have actually used 2 snatch blocks with the winch as the crab was well bogged, had a tree protector and drag chain on the other end so I didnt join him.

Use blankets on all "pulls" even though I have dynema.

I have a snatchum, winch extension, tree trunk protector, 2 scotchmans, drag chain, 2 dampeners, 2 snatch blocks, 4 shackles (one on the receiver block), 2 pairs of gloves, a long handled shovel and a winch that fits front or rear. I have used all of it at various times.

So I am no use to advise you LOL

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 10:04 PM
Cuppa those are hard questions, when I first joined our local club a bloke said take all the recovery gear you have.

Its better to look at it than look for it!

I have actually used 2 snatch blocks with the winch as the crab was well bogged, had a tree protector and drag chain on the other end so I didnt join him.

Use blankets on all "pulls" even though I have dynema.

I have a snatchum, winch extension, tree trunk protector, 2 scotchmans, drag chain, 2 dampeners, 2 snatch blocks, 4 shackles (one on the receiver block), 2 pairs of gloves, a long handled shovel and a winch that fits front or rear. I have used all of it at various times.

So I am no use to advise you LOL

Thanks Macca,
Some follow up questions: What are 'scotchmans'?
Is a 'receiver block' the thing which fits into the HR type tow bar?
Am assuming the Crab was someone else's vehicle? What are the chances of needing to winch with 2 snatch blocks when alone? I'm guessing that if travelling with another vehicle the chances of getting bogged are higher because greater chances are likely to be taken? ;-D

Cuppa

megatexture
15th February 2013, 10:19 PM
I'd still use the blanket when using rope as its not just to dampen the rope if it breaks but as you know there can be multiple components used in a recovery and any of them can become deadly. if a tree trunk protector was to break then the clevis hook will recoil towards the car but still not comparable to wire.

The winch cable you have is more than likely 28-30 m so you have to work out what diameter you want to get and make sure it will fit on the drum

I carry one snatch block and have around 5 or6 bow shackles two snatch straps and two winch extensions and two tree trunk protectors

MudRunnerTD
15th February 2013, 10:20 PM
Big fan of 2 snatch blocks. A drag chain makes a great tow rope too. A second length of dyneema rope makes a great winch extension strap. You should not use that dyneema as a tow rope as it will get dragged along the ground like that and you will kill it.

At least 2 4.7 t shackles. A tree trunk protector. A winch blanket is great but your jumper will do ;)

A good quality snatch strap (also never to be used for towing) rated to your loaded vehicle. An exhaust jack to lift you out of the soft stuff ;)

Winnie
15th February 2013, 10:21 PM
That pesky double post!!!

the evil twin
15th February 2013, 11:22 PM
Hiya Cuppa,

I know exactly what you mean and it can be one of those subjects that what suits one person doesn't suit another or their point of view.

What works for me and wifey is as follows (keeping in mind we travel mostly by ourselves so single vehicle recovery is important)

Long handle shovel
Exhaust jack
Maxtrax (1 pair)
2 x 3.2 ton shackles (shackles have a min 6:1 design factor so no point in using heavier unless needed)
2 x 2 ton shackles (as above and for rigging directional pulls, winching to advantage and attaching the anti recoil straps on my Snatch strap)
1 x 4.7 ton shackle ( 'cause it fits the billet hitch)
1 x Tree trunk protector
1 x Tow strap (legal length and flagged and which doubles as a bridle)
1 x Winch extension strap (useful for a few things actually)
1 x Snatch block (used to carry 2 in case but don't now)
1 x Drag Chain
1 x 40 metre length of 20mm Dyneema (ex Tug Boat)
and as a last resort when all else fails and someone else drives up 1 x Snatch Strap

Disclaimer... the above is what I take touring as per your OP and NOT rock climbing, gnarly 4X playing or mudbugging. It is what I consider relevant and useable for 1 vehicle and two people (older chubbier ones at that) who also always have a ground charlie as a guardian angel and can wait it out for the SES or Coppers if it really goes pear shaped.

TPC
16th February 2013, 12:37 AM
Hiya Cuppa,

I know exactly what you mean and it can be one of those subjects that what suits one person doesn't suit another or their point of view.

What works for me and wifey is as follows (keeping in mind we travel mostly by ourselves so single vehicle recovery is important)

Long handle shovel
Exhaust jack
Maxtrax (1 pair)
2 x 3.2 ton shackles (shackles have a min 6:1 design factor so no point in using heavier unless needed)
2 x 2 ton shackles (as above and for rigging directional pulls, winching to advantage and attaching the anti recoil straps on my Snatch strap)
1 x 4.7 ton shackle ( 'cause it fits the billet hitch)
1 x Tree trunk protector
1 x Tow strap (legal length and flagged and which doubles as a bridle)
1 x Winch extension strap (useful for a few things actually)
1 x Snatch block (used to carry 2 in case but don't now)
1 x Drag Chain
1 x 40 metre length of 20mm Dyneema (ex Tug Boat)
and as a last resort when all else fails and someone else drives up 1 x Snatch Strap

Disclaimer... the above is what I take touring as per your OP and NOT rock climbing, gnarly 4X playing or mudbugging. It is what I consider relevant and useable for 1 vehicle and two people (older chubbier ones at that) who also always have a ground charlie as a guardian angel and can wait it out for the SES or Coppers if it really goes pear shaped.
Thats a good list thanks, i have been looking at all these replys as i am also setting up for me and my misses traveling on our own.
All our trips so far have been with others that can help if we get stuck.
Thanks for asking the question Cuppa

macca
16th February 2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks Macca,
Some follow up questions: What are 'scotchmans'?
Is a 'receiver block' the thing which fits into the HR type tow bar?
Am assuming the Crab was someone else's vehicle? What are the chances of needing to winch with 2 snatch blocks when alone? I'm guessing that if travelling with another vehicle the chances of getting bogged are higher because greater chances are likely to be taken? ;-D

Cuppa

Mate scotchmans are 32mm dowel abot 250mm long to put in the joint of 2 straps, arolled up magazine is sometimes used in this job. My Dads a shipwright and that what the wharfies called them.
Receiever block is that thing that fits in the HR Tow Bar.
Land "crab", stupid bugger had to leave it there overnight, I went out the next day to recover it for him!.
The more snatch blocks you use the slower the recovery but it also takes the load off the winch, bit like using a block and tackle to lift a heavy wieght.
As one of the others said that is when I'm alone in the bush or touring alone. When with others I trust, I do leave some at home as it is heavy Re. your reason for the thread.

threedogs
16th February 2013, 08:09 AM
Drag chain has 101 uses
I have/use discarded 19mm plasma with hooks each end for dragging logs around camp/off the track..
You need to weigh it before you take the ute to "JENNYS" very interested how much
1 it weighs now
2 how much after
Rolled up newspaper still safest way to join two straps, hate to get hit in head by flying Scotchman

the evil twin
16th February 2013, 01:29 PM
snip...
hateto get hit in head by flying Scotchman

... especially if he came in feet first with his kilt billowing out.... eeeeeyeeeewwwww :smileyvault-cute-bi

MudRunnerTD
16th February 2013, 01:40 PM
... especially if he came in feet first with his kilt billowing out.... eeeeeyeeeewwwww :smileyvault-cute-bi

Nasty Nasty experience! Damn! you dont want to live that!

threedogs
16th February 2013, 03:28 PM
getting visual of billy Connelly in white frilly shirt and tartan kilt [commando] eeeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrggggghh