PDA

View Full Version : 3 piece long handled shovels

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 01:11 PM
Does anyone use one of these or similar?

Would you recommend them?

Am trying to decide whether to make do with a short handled shovel I already have, or get one of this type.

http://www.4x4equip.com.au/showProduct/IDH-2-1

http://www.bushranger.com.au/diggar/5.1_Diggar_3_piece_Shovel.pdf

I like the idea of a long handled shovel which dismantles, but both have wide mouths, probably not that good for digging a hole for a dump in much of Australia's hard ground. I note also the warning on the bushranger one against using it as a lever - using a shovel to assist in putting on the spare wheel is something I am keen to be able to do to save my back (& something the short handled one I have does perfectly).

What is your preference in an all round shovel to do service in hole digging, recoveries, fire duty, weight saving & space saving - for touring duty?

Cuppa

TPC
15th February 2013, 01:32 PM
Interesting idea but i think i would break it the way i treat my shovel, it gats more use while camping and 4wding than anything else i take with me.
Will stick to the long wooden handle one i have now, just have to have the roof racks on to carry it

threedogs
15th February 2013, 02:00 PM
Whats wrong with a post hole shovel from Bunnings ,heaps to choose from, well priced
even have shorter style spade for dump duty. never break a cyclone in a hurry if used
correctly
My wooden handle been dipped in diesel, sump oil you name it,now its hard as steel
fire or dump been doing it over 20 years with this shovel

GUtsy ute
15th February 2013, 05:00 PM
X2 on the post hole shovel, do everything with it, no need for a short one.
Fire pit, dump hole, bogged car, lifting spare on and cane toad disposal tool come to mind at the moment.
Plenty more uses I can't think of on the spot right now.

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 05:22 PM
Like I say, I have a good shovel/spade of the old fashioned variety which I rescued when the farm next door got sold off to the investment tree mob. It's a goodie, strong & well made with a good blade, but doesn't have a D handle, nor a long handle.

I don't have a roofrack to attach a long handled shovel to, & thus storage options demand something shorter. The one I have is an ideal size as far as storage goes.

I have never been in a recovery situation where a shovel is needed but understand that a long handle would make digging a bogged diff easier than a short handle. I will hopefully display sufficient caution to avoid such situations, but accept I will no doubt make a mistake at some point & need to use the shovel to extricate myself, & my thinking is that if such digging out is to be a rare occasion, that perhaps I could put up with the extra hassle of having to lay on the ground reaching in with the shorter shovel. But I guess I'm asking if the more experienced among you consider my thinking naieve & whether I really should have a long handled shovel? If so then really the only option I have is one that breaks down for storage. I certainly don't want to carry two shovels for different purposes.

Cuppa

GUtsy ute
15th February 2013, 05:29 PM
I carry mine in the drawers I made under the pod, along with axe, fishing rods, tent poles etc.

Cuppa
15th February 2013, 05:45 PM
..........more thinking.
I note that you folk use a post hole shovel, which has more of an angle to it's blade than the more 'spade - like' instrument that I own. After consideration, my thinking is that the greater angle would assist when pulling sand etc out from underneath the vehicle. Is this correct?

I do have one 'drawer' under the pod that is currently free where i suppose I could carry a shovel. I had been planning to use it for tools stored in pull out trays, but i guess I could share it with a shovel if i have to. Just means less efficient use of the space, ... but then agan the shove might assist in pulling things out when i need them . :)

Bloodyaussie
15th February 2013, 05:49 PM
I have my good old German in trenching tool.... Bloody good bit of kit.

Irish dug out both diffs once to get us free with one of these!!!!

threedogs
15th February 2013, 06:01 PM
I straightened my post hole shovel on a concrete bollard, thought I'd ripped the guard off but its straight now

@ cuppa as for no "D" handle go buy one at Bunnings and fit it.
I'll put pic of my shovel here to show weird angle

GUtsy ute
15th February 2013, 06:52 PM
Hey TD,
Curious to know why you straightened your shovel.
I think the angle is what makes the post hole shovel great for all jobs.

Just my opinion though.

NP99
15th February 2013, 07:43 PM
The bushranger model looks the goods :-)

megatexture
15th February 2013, 09:26 PM
Love my wood handle shovel and with a tray like yours there should be plenty of space to store one underneath also never have I been using mine and thought to myself I wished it was shorter

DX grunt
15th February 2013, 11:23 PM
I've got a long handled shovel and store it in the left hand storage drawer under the pod, along with my recovery gear.

I believe you answered your own questions. Long handled shovels can help save your back, you can reach a bit further under your diff,
and, it puts you just that bit further from Joe Blakes. lol.

If you don't like what you've got, you can always flog it on ebay. lol.

Rossco

Clunk
15th February 2013, 11:45 PM
I just carry s normal sized d handled garden spade the back..... Still mot needed it yet

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Woof
16th February 2013, 01:32 AM
Cuppa, I have one of those but have not used it yet but The Evil Twin has used it when he.........ummm got stuck sort of....lol
I do like them as they are very compact.