PDA

View Full Version : GU rear barn door storage

Lieney
14th February 2013, 09:10 PM
Please help
I saw an idea a while back for storage in some rear barn doors.
I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere, nor am I certain if it was in a mighty Pootrol.
I'm not after a fold-down table mod as I can make one if necessary.
I want to cut the guts out of the main rear barn door (after mounting the spare elsewhere) and the little door and put a cupboard in each.
Fabricated out of steel pressed and bent up.
Main door would hold all my brew gear, salt and pepper, spices and herbs, cups, plates and bowls, cutlery etc.
The little door could hold other light stuff.
There is support stuff inside I want to modify and I am also Considering panel-beating the main door to remove the pressed in bit to accommodate the spare.
Has anyone seen this done in a GU patrol?
PM me at clieneman@yahoo.com.au

threedogs
14th February 2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah mate that was me I gutted one of the barn doors on my troopy and made a mini bar which ended up becoming a spice rack.
I mounted my spare inside with a bracket off seating bolts in cargo area I'll get some picks tomorrow. Still got troopy here' I replaced the spare on the door with a faux wheel, Check my vendor thread may be pics there. Will make faux wheels if enough interest

Lieney
17th February 2013, 01:21 PM
Threedogs. At the risk of sounding stupid I am going to pose these questions.
What is a faux wheel? Fake wheel is it???
What is a vendor thread.
I'm no real good finding things on here.
cheers for the note but

threedogs
17th February 2013, 01:27 PM
Look in main menu My business is Outback Ideas, Yeah Faux wheel is Fake I use for Straps those Gas stoves and gas cylinders, Shackles
you name it. I'll get a pic of FAUX wheel you'll see what I mean.

MudRunnerTD
17th February 2013, 01:27 PM
Yes a Vendors thread is a thread where he sells his products. Go to the main menu and scroll down for the vendors section.

I think he is talking about a fake wheel cover or something?

threedogs
17th February 2013, 01:33 PM
Nah I think he wants to use the space inside his rear doors for storage
like I did on last 4x4. Not 100% though, Could recess Fire extingisher in one,
Not the ideal spot for one though.
Top half flips down 200mm wide lockable,weatherproof.

Lieney
19th February 2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info and point in your direction threedogs and MudRunnerTD.
I like the spare faux wheel storage. Maybe another option after a rear bar, If I ever get that far and there is enough room.
Someone mentioned ARD compliance, crumple zone and other words like that, so it doesn't look good for me to go cutting and re-moulding the door as I had planned.
Bit more research, and weigh up $$$, before I go ahead I think.
Maybe a GQ shorty would have been a better option for this, but I do like my GU

Thanks again

dannypatrol
29th June 2015, 01:14 PM
Yeah mate that was me I gutted one of the barn doors on my troopy and made a mini bar which ended up becoming a spice rack.
I mounted my spare inside with a bracket off seating bolts in cargo area I'll get some picks tomorrow. Still got troopy here' I replaced the spare on the door with a faux wheel, Check my vendor thread may be pics there. Will make faux wheels if enough interest

old topic but threedogs do you maybe got photos of the mini bar in one of your barn doors? I am thinking of doing something like that in my patrol

threedogs
29th June 2015, 02:19 PM
All I did was remove the door card on the big door, cut a square as big as possible.
Then make a tin box with shelves etc and a flange to pop rivet to existing door.
Cut the door trim to suit and fit a spring loaded door. I had my compressor in one door
and spice rack in the other, Mainly UHF milf cartons ,those small ones a heap of small screw top plastic jars
for coffe ,tea, sugar ,salt and pepper.
was very handy for wayside stops, I also had a flip down table as well.
This was on my Troopy you could do the same with the GU I think but
not the door with the wiper motor in it

Clunk
29th June 2015, 03:50 PM
All I did was remove the door card on the big door, cut a square as big as possible.
Then make a tin box with shelves etc and a flange to pop rivet to existing door.
Cut the door trim to suit and fit a spring loaded door. I had my compressor in one door
and spice rack in the other, Mainly UHF milf cartons ,those small ones a heap of small screw top plastic jars
for coffe ,tea, sugar ,salt and pepper.
was very handy for wayside stops, I also had a flip down table as well.
This was on my Troopy you could do the same with the GU I think but
not the door with the wiper motor in it

:useless:

threedogs
29th June 2015, 04:27 PM
Dont know where to pics have gone,
but you just make up your template using a weeties box.
you can only go about 3" max sorry 76mm lol.