PDA

View Full Version : Superflex arms

TURBOGU
2nd December 2010, 02:27 PM
Has anyone experimented in using the superflex arms? How much extra travel do u get over dropped arms?

big_fletch
2nd December 2010, 06:35 PM
I also was interested in what people thought of these, if you do get that much more flex out of them.. also strength difference between these and normal dropped.. any1 here use the superflex arms??

YNOT
2nd December 2010, 09:41 PM
Superior Engineering Super flex arms work extremely well from what I've seen. With SF arms fitted your shock length and spring extension length become the limiting factors.
The reason standard Patrol coil spring front ends have limited travel is because each radius arm is connected to the front diff housing by 2 bushes, one in front and the other behind the axle tube. When you articulate the suspension one radius arm tries to twist the diff forwards while the other tries to twist it backwards. Your articulation is limited by how much give there is in those 4 bushes, as soon as the bushes max out the suspension stops traveling. This is the reason you don't want urethane bushes, and GQ slotted bushes are better than GU solid bushes. The twisting of the diff housing also contributes to housings cracking.

What the super flex arms essentially do is replace the LH radius arm with an arm that holds the diff by the front bolt only on that side. I'm not sure of the exact science behind it with talk of complimentary torque etc, but it works very well. With the diff now supported by 3 bolts/bushes, it is free to move without the previous twisting, leaving spring and shocks as the limiting factors.

Like anything made by Superior the engineering is first class, and strength is proven in competition.

Normal drop arms will give minimal if any gain in suspension travel over standard arms as they still locate the front diff by 4 points. Drop arms are for castor correction. Even 3rds productions radius arms with the clevis joint at the chassis end offer minimal gain over standard, because the problem is not at that end of the arm.

Tony

big_fletch
2nd December 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks ynot, that pretty much answers my questions Haha