PDA

View Full Version : Insurance valuation.

Cuppa
14th February 2013, 05:17 PM
Sometime in the next week or so I intend getting a valuation done on my Patrol for agreed value insurance purposes.

How much do you reckon it should be valued at?

2006 Nissan Patrol TDi42 (4.2 litre intercooled Turbo Diesel) 4x4 Cab/Chassis converted to camper suitable for remote travel/self sufficient camping.

- 161,000kms
- Serviced by Nissan every 5000kms since new

- Air conditioning
- ARB Steel bullbar
- Warn Electric winch
- Nissan Snorkel
- OME upgraded suspension & shock absorbers
- 2" lift
- Twin spare wheels on fold down carriers
- Long range fuel tanks
- Driving lights
- Factory standard engine/gearbox/transmission (low coolant alarm fitted).
- Twin rear view CCD cameras plus 7" colour monitor
- Full Aluminium Canopy with gulling doors (Rosscos Trademate)
- Undertray tool box
- Undertray 30 litre water carrier
- Undertray LPGas bottle carrier

- Radio/CD player
- GPS navigator
- 80 channel CB radio

- Comprehensive recovery gear

- On board compressed air - 3/4hp Boss Pro 12v compressor + receiver tank & reticulated air supply

Power
- 425w Solar panels - 125w fixed, 300w portable
- 360ah AGM batteries (Ritar Brand) - in addition to starter battery - plus high quality marine switching (Blue Seas) & heavy duty cabling to connect both for emergency starting
- 40 amp Solar regulator/dc to dc smart charger (Redarc BCDC1240)
-Blueseas circuit breaker/power distribution panel
- NASA BM1 Battery monitor
- Victron Phoenix 350w Pure sinewave inverter

- 240v power - fully certified

Water
- Hot & cold pressurised water
- 25 litre Marine calorifier HWS
- Shurflo pump
- 150 litre custom built water tank (+ 30 litre under tray tank)
- Carbon silver water filter.
- external shower connection

Lighting
- Extensive LED lighting throughout

Refrigeration
- 60 litre ARB Fridge/Freezer mounted on ARB fridge slide - with additional transit cover
- 35 litre ARB Fridge/Freezer mounted on ARB fridge slide - with additional transit cover

Kitchen
- Structured kitchen with food storage space, fold out preparation table, external clip on table with sink & hot & cold water, slide out 2 burner LP gas stove with grill.

Accommodation (for 2).
- Permanently mounted Shippshape rooftop tent providing a permanently made up bed & an encloseable awning
- A 2nd ground based tent (OzTent RV3) for additional under cover living space during longer stops

- Portable toilet & toilet/shower tent

- 2 LP gas bottles

MC97GQ
14th February 2013, 05:27 PM
Cuppa,

Not sure how your insurance company will work the additions, They will probably look at the bare bones truck and provide a value.

The one thing I can guarantee is you will not be happy with what they say. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with the way they do things, but at the end of the day they don't give a rats about you or your truck, they are there to make as much money as possible.

Good luck with the valuation mate, I hope you get what you think it will owe you.

Mark

threedogs
14th February 2013, 05:33 PM
Not even close to what you think/expect at a guess halve that figure in your head
then take a bit more off and you'll be getting close, not even worth "burning"

DX grunt
14th February 2013, 05:39 PM
I've got my truck insured for $40k, plus $10k for all the camping stuff I carry. The camping stuff is insured under my 'portable contents' cover, or whatever they call it.

Maxhead
14th February 2013, 05:43 PM
You could probably insure the truck for around $26-27k (redbook value) then you would have to insure all the goodies on top of the base vehicle. not sure on the value of everything but you shouldn't have a problem insuring if you pay .....
Hopefully the know how much these vehicles are worth and insure you for more but they usually use something like redbook or glasses for value....Good luck with it mate

EDIT: I just re read your post. AGREED value is different so you could pretty much nominate the price. $40-45k plus all the goodies

threedogs
14th February 2013, 05:57 PM
I want to know how much it weighs???

Cuppa
14th February 2013, 06:35 PM
I want to know how much it weighs???

Ahem :redface:......so would I, part of the plan is to get it weighed on the way home from the valuer.

The valuer I'm taking it to is pretty good, I got our bus valued by him. He operates a caravan & RV sales yard so will value the vehicle as an RV, rather than just as a vehicle with a few add ons .... I hope.
I paid $31k for the vehicle (asking price was $33k & they seem to have increased since then) & I reckon it now owes me about $46K all up, (not including my time in fitting it out) & would expect $60k to be a realistic replacement cost if it were nicked. But we'll see ..... I'm reasonably confident he'll value it for what it owes me, but am hoping he'll go a bit higher.

I will most likely get it insured with the insurer who services the motorhome club I'm in (underwritten by Allianz). I've had it insured with APIA up until now, for the price we paid for it, but have been feeling a bit toey about it being underinsured & we just got the renewal today, hence my motivation to get it sorted.

NP99
14th February 2013, 08:04 PM
X2 on the broker

Cuppa
14th February 2013, 08:58 PM
The motorhome club insurer is in fact a broker (Ken Tame & Associates) & has a great reputation for going an extra mile to help folks out when things have gone belly up. One of the main reasons for probably going with them is that they too provide cover for anywhere in the country like Plassie's insurer. To get it you have to be in the Campervan & Motorhome club. They will accept whatever valution my valuer pus on it but whether they will insure the Patrol (given that it is debatable as to whether it would be considered a campervan) is yet to be seen. If not Affinity may become my next option. Can you give me a link to your broker so I can get a quote Plassie?

Cuppa

Cuppa
14th February 2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks mate.

MudRunnerTD
14th February 2013, 09:26 PM
See here matey

http://www.affinityib.com.au/

Affinity are the main Insurance company I use and the 4wd associations use. They understand our hobby, I get mine valued and the value goes up and the price goes down! Go figure? They say its because they have viewed the car.

Very very good and great value.

MudRunnerTD
14th February 2013, 09:28 PM
Go and find you car on car sales or eBay and print the adds to justify your value and they will back you no probs. list your accessories as extras and they will value those separately. Winner!

Cuppa
25th February 2013, 01:50 PM
Well I'm reasonably satisfied. Just got back from having the Patrol valued as an 'RV'. Didn't need to talk it up at all. They valued it at $56k. Have spoken to the motorhome club insurance broker who has quoted me $623 premium for agreed value underwritten by Allianz & covering us anywhere in Australia. Basic excess of $200 ($100 on windscreen).

Cuppa

Bob
25th February 2013, 02:32 PM
That is not a bad premium for that Value. When i read that valued at $56,000 i thought whoa but then realised how much you have put on this vehicle which is a credit to you.
Well done mate.

megatexture
25th February 2013, 04:12 PM
Yea makes me want to revisit our broker and kick them in the head ..

Cuppa
25th February 2013, 04:48 PM
That's a good result cuppa. So can I get my wagon insured as a RV coz I have the rooftop camper on it? That premium is about $200 cheaper than mine, excess less and agreed value 1.65 times mine!

You have to be a Campervan & Motorhome Club member ($44 per year), & as I understand it the vehicle must have accommodation, cooking & eating facilities on board (ie. not a camper trailer & not just stored to be pulled out & used). I was clear telling them my accommodation was under canvas up top, and they didn't seem phased by that. They talked in terms of RV not campervan or motorhome. I referred to ours just as a 'camper'. They have requested photos (normal procedure - had to do the same with the bus) together with a copy of the valuation (which cost me $50) but I don't expect any hassles. It could be argued that our eating facilities are separate -- table clips to vehicle, chairs are separate , but if need be I'd claim that we eat in the cab. I really doubt that they'd query it though, as the vehicle complies with the 'spirit' of the requirements, & is better set up than many of the campervans out there on the road. It no doubt also helps to keep the cost of the premium down being an old fart (well at least an aging fart at 55). If you are interested in having a gander at the policy send me a PM with your email address.

Cuppa