PDA

View Full Version : GQ Recovery Loop/U

koliilok
14th February 2013, 02:34 PM
Hey, was having a discussion the other day with a friend about the loop thing on the rear of a GQ, is it a strong enough recovery point for snatching etc? I would assume it's bolted to the chassis but don't want to go tearing it off. I've always just fed the strap into the towbar and put the pin through previously.

Thanks

Corey

koliilok
14th February 2013, 02:35 PM
Just realised i put this in DIY section, could someone move it to the relevant section?

Sorry...

rusty_nail
14th February 2013, 02:45 PM
supposedly its not desinged for use that way, however the mount spot must be as threedogs makes and sells weight rated hooks for that spot

Bloodyaussie
14th February 2013, 05:08 PM
It is not recommended from what I am told for a full heavy snatch recovery but if you have to there are a lot worse places to use???

Wait for the experts but I think this has been discussed in detail if you do a search!!

Maxhead
14th February 2013, 05:10 PM
OK for towing out with but not for snatching IMO

Winnie
14th February 2013, 05:15 PM
I will look in the manual tonight but I'm fairly sure it actually does say that point can be used in emergencies... Ie getting the vehicle out of mud. Or something to that effect.

threedogs
14th February 2013, 06:06 PM
Most manuals will refer to it as a flat towing point, all the winch challenge guys I know use that area but not the OE loop
IT WILL FAIL, as some one said use it but not if stuck up to door handles. I have used my hook to tow cement mixers off site as well as the odd tojo
Heres a few options

mudski
14th February 2013, 08:48 PM
This is what they look like behind the plate. Not impressed at all. And only a thin bead of weld on the out side.
I wouldn't ever be snatching with this.

threedogs
14th February 2013, 08:54 PM
Some do weld the back for extra strength but they still break so please avoid it,
you do have a rear tow point underneath at the back.

Woof
15th February 2013, 02:18 AM
I would not be using them for anything as the risk is just too great........only use a rated recovery point

Bulbous
15th February 2013, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't trust it for snatching, especially in something as clingy as mud. Replace it with a Pintle Hook

http://m.nissanlac.com/en/smartphone/models/PATROL/100001377/100001792/images/1323188371550022147.jpg

mudski
15th February 2013, 10:07 AM
Certainly wouldn't be using a pintle hook for snatching either. They are a rate TOW point much like a tow ball.

Sir Roofy
15th February 2013, 11:38 AM
Hey, was having a discussion the other day with a friend about the loop thing on the rear of a GQ, is it a strong enough recovery point for snatching etc? I would assume it's bolted to the chassis but don't want to go tearing it off.
I've always just fed the strap into the towbar and put the pin through previously.

Thanks

Corey
if you keep up this practice you,l have many happy days

koliilok
15th February 2013, 02:45 PM
This is what they look like behind the plate. Not impressed at all. And only a thin bead of weld on the out side.
I wouldn't ever be snatching with this.

Looks like i'll be leaving it well alone, that's not looking strong at all!

koliilok
15th February 2013, 02:46 PM
Looks like i'll be either sticking to the strap in the towbar method or i might invest in an insert for it...or people could stop getting stuck and me having to pull them out? lol

threedogs
15th February 2013, 02:53 PM
Hang around with patrol owners and you'll have no need for it.
go buy a rated insert, not good when the pin bends, costs goes up
Sad you only go driving with Yoto owners

Pepper
15th February 2013, 03:04 PM
i believe they are only rated to 500kg

threedogs
15th February 2013, 03:07 PM
I rate mine to suit the towing capacity of the 4x4, eg manual 3.5t
This is done by a NATA accredited shop