PDA

View Full Version : GU 09 Electric Windows Mod

BigBill
2nd December 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi People.

Does anyone know if there is a simple mod to allow the electric windows to operate without the ignition on? I've done a similar mod to my 300ZX, courtesy of the Aussie ZX forum site.

Cheers All
Bill

big_fletch
2nd December 2010, 06:44 PM
Hey mate, I will get some diagrams tomorrow at work and see if it is possible, as they have the automatic down I believe they run through the computer so might not be a simple task.. I shall have a look and get back to ya mate..

Fletcha

BigBill
5th December 2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Big Fletch

The ZX has auto up and down and works that way when the ignition is on. With the ignition key removed the windows travels up or down as long as I push the button down.

NissanGQ4.2
5th December 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Bill

I have done this with my 92 GQ TI, wouldn't call it a mod, think i just cut a wire and wired it up to a wire that had power with the ignition off. Auto Up / Down still work as normal with the ignition switch off :)

Not sure on what wires i cut, but if i find out i shall let you know

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
5th December 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi Bill

I have done this with my 92 GQ TI, wouldn't call it a mod, think i just cut a wire and wired it up to a wire that had power with the ignition off. Auto Up / Down still work as normal with the ignition switch off :)

Not sure on what wires i cut, but if i find out i shall let you know

Cheers

Todd

Did you find out which ones you murdered old mate?? Woundn't mind doing the same ...

NissanGQ4.2
6th December 2010, 10:05 PM
Did you find out which ones you murdered old mate?? Woundn't mind doing the same ... Not yet Scotty, murdered a lot of things that day, Should get a chance on Wednesday arvo 2 have a better look. Yeh its heapz better 2 b able 2 use the Windows without Ignition :)

Steveo_the_Devo
1st December 2011, 08:10 AM
Just found this old(er) thread. Anyone done this mod? It's annoying to have to have the ignition on to close the windows - I know a lot of cars that have a 30 second window from switching off the ignition to when you can't operate the windows any more.

Also there is no auto up/down enabled when ignition is off.

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 09:26 AM
Just found this old(er) thread. Anyone done this mod? Yes but it was a GQ not a GU but I can't see it not working the same in a GU

Also there is no auto up/down enabled when ignition is off. I don't really understand, of course there is no auto up/down function when ignition is off.

Bigrig
1st December 2011, 09:27 AM
Just found this old(er) thread. Anyone done this mod? It's annoying to have to have the ignition on to close the windows - I know a lot of cars that have a 30 second window from switching off the ignition to when you can't operate the windows any more.

Also there is no auto up/down enabled when ignition is off.

Yeah x2 - so what wires did you cut Toddy boy?? Nothing like taking to the rig with no idea what I'm doing!!! My aerial might start working!!! lmao

Yendor
1st December 2011, 10:42 AM
The Patrols have a blue relay mounted in the LHS kick panel that supplies power to the electric windows when the ignition is on, all you would need to do is bypass this.

Bigrig
1st December 2011, 10:43 AM
The Patrols have a blue relay mounted in the LHS kick panel that supplies power to the electric windows when the ignition is on, all you would need to do is bypass this.

Hahaha ... so for the less gifted amongst us (aka me!!! lol) - how does one "bypass" it??

Yendor
1st December 2011, 10:49 AM
Pull the relay out, make up a little jumper wire and connect the battery feed with the wire that supplies power to the windows.

I can look up the wire colours later for you if you like.

Also Scotty thinking back to a previous conversation there is a good chance your relay will be green.

Steveo_the_Devo
1st December 2011, 07:17 PM
... Auto Up / Down still work as normal with the ignition switch off :)

I was quoting you. Couldn't figure out how the 'auto up down feature' still worked with the ignition off... didn't make any sense to me.

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2011, 07:42 PM
Pull the relay out, make up a little jumper wire and connect the battery feed with the wire that supplies power to the windows.

Also Scotty thinking back to a previous conversation there is a good chance your relay will be green.

So Yendor, You'd just have to run a hot wire to tab 30 on that relay and your on a winner?

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 07:43 PM
I was quoting you. Couldn't figure out how the 'auto up down feature' still worked with the ignition off... didn't make any sense to me.

the auto up down feature still works because my windows are wired 2 constant power, I don't need to have keys in the ignition to power the windows, does that make better sense?

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah x2 - so what wires did you cut Toddy boy?? Nothing like taking to the rig with no idea what I'm doing!!! My aerial might start working!!! lmao

I've already told you Scottie, weren't you paying attention in class, Can't remember now, didn't do it as technical as yendor, but cut a wire here, cut a wire there, joined another wire here, something like that anyway..............still works *L*

Remember this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1887-MY-92-GQ-TI-Automatic-window-mod

Disclaimer: I was drunk at the time and still am! So could be very wrong, always consult Mr Beam before starting any type of work :)

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2011, 07:49 PM

So Yendor, You'd just have to run a hot wire to tab 30 on that relay and your on a winner?

the auto up down feature still works because my windows are wired 2 constant power, I don't need to have keys in the ignition to power the windows, does that make better sense?

DING!

:thumbup:

I hope it's that easy!!!

:icon_victory:

Yendor
1st December 2011, 07:55 PM

There is already a battery feed (hot wire) at the relay that is fuse protected.

So all you need to do is remove the relay and fit a little jumper wire between the battery feed wire and the wire that goes to the window switch (it would be tab 87 but the genuine relays are not marked this way).

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 07:56 PM
DING!

:thumbup:

I hope it's that easy!!!

:icon_victory:

yes its that easy, I would go with yendors method, rather than cutting wires like I did, but it didn't matter for me as I had a break somewhere in my circuit and it was easier to just cut the wire and power it from elsewhere, and I decided 2 go with a power source that was constant so I could use the windows without the keys :)

Bigrig
1st December 2011, 08:05 PM
There is already a battery feed (hot wire) at the relay that is fuse protected.

So all you need to do is remove the relay and fit a little jumper wire between the battery feed wire and the wire that goes to the window switch (it would be tab 87 but the genuine relays are not marked this way).

Thanks mate - keep the phone handy on Sunday whilst I have a lash at it!!!! lmao

Yendor
1st December 2011, 08:22 PM
OK Scotty,

I can't find my workshop manual for your year model so I am working of the first addition manual, hopefully the wire colours are the same.

First locate the relay, LHS kick panel about glovebox height.

There could be 3 relays here, to find the one you are after just remove one at a time until your electric windows stop.

Remove the relay, there should be 4 wires going into the relay mounting base.

One will be a black wire, we will not use this one.

One should be a White with a Red trace wire, large wire. (This should have power in it all the time regards of what position the ignition switch is in, confirm with test light).

One should be a White with a Black trace wire, large wire.

The last one should be a smaller size wire (about the same size as the black wire) this should only have power in it when the ignition is on, confirm with test light), we will not use this one.

Make up a little jumper lead with at least a 5mm wire about and inch and a half long with yellow male spade terminals at each end.

One end will need to go into the large white with a red trace wire and the other end in the large white with a black trace wire.

This will allow the windows to work all the time regardless if the ignition is on or off.

*** The above is for a GQ ***

NissanGQ4.2
1st December 2011, 08:38 PM
OK Scotty,

I can't find my workshop manual for your year model so I am working of the first addition manual, hopefully the wire colours are the same.

There could be 3 relays here, to find the one you are after just remove one at a time until your electric windows stop.

One should be a White with a Red trace wire, large wire. (This should have power in it all the time regards of what position the ignition switch is in, confirm with test light).

The last one should be a smaller size wire (about the same size as the black wire) this should only have power in it when the ignition is on, confirm with test light), we will not use this one.

Make up a little jumper lead with at least a 5mm wire about and inch and a half long with yellow male spade terminals at each end.

One end will need to go into the large white with a red trace wire and the other end in the large white with a black trace wire.

This will allow the windows to work all the time regardless if the ignition is on or off.

That is just way 2 complicated after you have drunk half a bottle of bourbon, when you coming down this way again Scottie, I'll fix it for you *L*

P.S: nice work Yendor

Bigrig
1st December 2011, 09:03 PM
OK Scotty,

Outstanding!!!! Thanks boss!!!

By the way - what's a 'test light'???!!! lmao

Yendor
1st December 2011, 09:03 PM
That is just way 2 complicated after you have drunk half a bottle of bourbon, when you coming down this way again Scottie, I'll fix it for you *L*

P.S: nice work Yendor

lol....You should try typing that after a few Jacks.

Hopefully, work permitting I will catch up with Scotty on Saturday and we can do his and take a couple of photos that will help explain it.

Yendor
1st December 2011, 09:05 PM
Outstanding!!!! Thanks boss!!!

By the way - what's a 'test light'???!!! lmao

Thats the thing that lights up above your head when you have an idea....lmao

Bigrig
1st December 2011, 09:14 PM
Thats the thing that lights up above your head when you have an idea....lmao

Right - I've seen that before somewhere .... will just have to find it!!! lmao

NP99
12th May 2013, 12:10 AM
OK Scotty,

Mate, is it similar for the GU?

Yendor
12th May 2013, 10:35 AM
Mate, is it similar for the GU?

I ended up doing that mod for Scotty. I'm guessing because his is a later model GQ the power window relay was under the panel beside the battery and the wiring was slightly different.

Yes it is similar for a GU. You will find the blue relay mounted in the RHS kick panel inline with the glovebox.

The only problem with doing this mod on the GU is the little light in the drivers door switch will stay on.