PDA

View Full Version : Tyre advice S.A

Blacklotusdog
14th February 2013, 10:52 AM
Hey all,

Doing a few mods to the patrol soon and was originally planning on dropping to a 16 inch steel rim and going up to a 33 inch tyre. Am looking at MT atz 4rib in a 285/75 r16. But due to living in the incredibly backwards state of south Australia it turns out that legally the tyre size can only be increased by 15mm.

It's likely I will be moving back to wa in the next couple of years where I could legally fit the 33 inch no dramas. Am also looking at putting in a 2 inch flexy coil lift from suspension stuff.

My predicament is do I just stick with the stock tyres and rims and get a second spare the same. Run these out of tread and then will likely be in a different state where I can go up to 33. Or do I still drop to a 16 steel rim but put 265/75r16 on which is only a 13mm increase in rolling diameter. So would still be legal in SA, not worried about defect more insurance being able to deny my claim if I were ever to write off the patrol. Stupid thing is if i crossed the border into qld and wrote it off on 33 all would be well.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Reason for changing tyres is I want something a bit more capable off road and also a stronger tyre less likely to puncture, want steel rims as they are easier to repair if damaged. Also was thinking it would be easier to sell the stock alloy and tyre now when they still have about 80% of their tread left.

Cheers all,

Tim

threedogs
14th February 2013, 11:17 AM
M2cW stay legal use the 265s and when in WA whack some 33s on. WOW cant run a 285?,
I run 305s x 16 never been an issue, plus 285s on the OE mags