PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Repair

TPC
9th February 2013, 01:27 PM
Has anybody had a large hole in a tyre repaired using rubber welding?

I punctured an almost new tyre a couple of weeks ago and was told it could not be repaired so forked out another $370 for new tyre, I have kept the tyre figuring i could put a big patch and use a tube for a second spare for big trips.
A mate was telling me that there is a mob that will rubber weld big punctures but I don't know anybody that has had it done.

Stropp
9th February 2013, 01:37 PM
mate you should be able to take it to a tyre place and they can put a welded patch inside and then as you said run a tube and keep it as a spare, its not cheap to weld a patch in but is not $370 either.

MC97GQ
9th February 2013, 01:40 PM
Mate, how unlucky is that, bad enough it went through the tread, but then to pierce the sidewall, what a b@st@rd.

Good luck with it

Mark

James1990
17th February 2013, 02:04 AM
It looks totally crap... I don't think so its easy to repair this tyre because I also faced this problem when I got a nail in my car's tire and about a month before I purchased my all 4 tires and after one month I make dead one of them. So I think you also have to buy one more tire for you drive because according to my knowledge this puncture is not repairable. If you try to repair the tire and you succeed in that, then it will again trouble your. So my advise is to buy a new tire instead of wasting money on it.

pearcey
17th February 2013, 07:49 AM
G`day mate
There was a bloke in Richmond who repaired truck, tractor. and industrial tyres. I don't know if he`s still there .
I had him repair a bigger hole than your`s and it did about 30000 Ks after the repair.The cost was $50

megatexture
17th February 2013, 10:16 AM
I've had a tyre that punture similar to this and did a roadside patch with self vulcanising cords and Is still going fine, mine took 3cords but didn't have any damage to the sidewall and that's what will determine if the tyre will be able to be repaired.
Did the stick actually punture the sidewall also? Looks like just a scratch, can you use a flat patch on the inside?

TPC
17th February 2013, 02:01 PM
I've had a tyre that punture similar to this and did a roadside patch with self vulcanising cords and Is still going fine, mine took 3cords but didn't have any damage to the sidewall and that's what will determine if the tyre will be able to be repaired.
Did the stick actually punture the sidewall also? Looks like just a scratch, can you use a flat patch on the inside?

The photo is decieving, it has not damaged the sidewall but the width of the hole is the problem. I am going to check if i can find this place at Richmond that pearcey mentioned and get it repaired properly.
I have seen a repair attempted on my last trip using 3 cords but could not get it to work and ended up patching and fitting tube.

pearcey
17th February 2013, 04:06 PM
TCP
I`m in Melbourne at the moment but will be home on Wednesday and will try and find the invoice
Don`t know if he`s still at the same address as it was about 5 year ago when he repaired mine.
will chase it up for you.
Pearcey