PDA

View Full Version : Why birds are difficult to take pictures of..

outback
6th February 2013, 01:48 AM
I was trying to get a picture of this bird either taking off from a rail on one of my stable stalls or better as it spun around.
The bird would move from one position to the complete reverse and I wa after that movement of leg switching as it did that turn.
Pic IMGP0999.jpg sort of captures that turn:
ISO: 3200
F: 11
shutter: 1/750
focal length: 300mm

Pic IMGP0994.jpg is the bird about to take off
ISO: 3200
F: 6.7
shutter: 1/2000
focal length: 300mm

The speed of action just makes these pictures difficult but exciting to do.
Yo get these I took about 50 duds. The duds were nice pictures but not what I was after.
These two pictures still don't quite capture the movement.

threedogs
6th February 2013, 08:34 AM
Should PM Fracster in the UK has some awesome pic of birds in flight
and wildlife in general really knows his Stuff. 4OFF also has some awesome
shots but more landscapes and action

Bloodyaussie
6th February 2013, 10:10 AM
No problem at all with a 12g....!!!! he he!!!!!

Oh come on I was joking........ I will never keep a bird as I cant keep anything that can fly unless it was an injured bird.

threedogs
6th February 2013, 10:30 AM
I twart I saw a puddy cat, lol Wouldn't you set your camera ,and correct me if wrong, to say
10 shots a sec or similar,even my phone does 8 a sec I think. With technology the way it is
why not make a video call looking at a bird and show the forum . Lol

jack
6th February 2013, 10:34 AM
Difficult because you don't want to get caught, they have severe 'stalking' laws now.
Oh sorry, just re read the post, you're talking about the feathered variety.:biggrin:

Sorry couldn't resist

threedogs
6th February 2013, 10:39 AM
Not really excuse spelling but is it called a double ontromble or something.

fracster
6th February 2013, 11:35 AM
F11 is way too much.

Knock it down to F8 or 5.6m, depends on your distance to subject. Depth of field changes as distance to subject decreases. For example, with the bird 3 feet from you,shooting at say F4, your depth of field will be shallower than the bird, the head will be in focus, but the tail won`t. If that makes sense.

As a rule, birds require good shutter speed. Not always though.

Plus they are buggers to get just right, keep at it and holler if you need any help.

Bloodyaussie
6th February 2013, 01:40 PM
F11 is way too much.

Knock it down to F8 or 5.6m, depends on your distance to subject. Depth of field changes as distance to subject decreases. For example, with the bird 3 feet from you,shooting at say F4, your depth of field will be shallower than the bird, the head will be in focus, but the tail won`t. If that makes sense.

Plus they are buggers to get just right, keep at it and holler if you need any help.

So no 12g??????? ruin all my fun!!!!

outback
6th February 2013, 02:05 PM
F11 is way too much.

I had few problems back in the days of real film and a fully manual camera.

These pictures were taken using a Pentax K-m digital SLR. It is really a basic model with little to play with in making changes re F sop, shutter speed and ISO values.

I have upgraded to a Nikon D800 but it is taking a while to get use to, not to mention the huge novel, (manual), that comes with it. This camera at least puts me back to what I could do with the old manual SLR as it has a lot more user allowed adjustments.

fracster
6th February 2013, 02:47 PM
Damn, you got a D800...................my dream camera, maybe next month i`ll get one.

Which lenses do you have?

PS...B.A.....I have a 12 bore as well as a .247 and .22270, but they ain`t for little birds.

outback
7th February 2013, 12:51 AM
fracster:

I have these lenses:

D800
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS Nikon Mount
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED VR
Nikon AF-S 14-24mm F2.8 G ED

K-m
I have these on the Pentax K-m
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax Mount
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
Sigma 28-70mm (old lense)

I had to replace the Sigma 70-300mm on the K-m because I tripped and somehow the fall stuffed the original Sigma lens. It was in its carry case, which had the Sigma foam padding but seems that was not good enough. It now only works as a full manual lens on a manual camera, won't work on the K-m. This was replaced with the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro. Apparently it was cheaper to buy a new lens vs getting it repaired.

The D800 is a very very nice but it is not light. Add to it just the 35mm lens add to that weight quickly.

I am still running with an 1940 something tripod but it seems more versatile than some of the modern ones.

As far as the D880 goes not that sure if the D4 is better or about the same. I know I skipped on a D3 as they were on the way out but I am not sure if the D4 was being sold or not.

fracster
7th February 2013, 03:28 AM
The D800 is known for showing weaknesses in all but very good lenses.

I had a siggy 150-500 some while back and it is a cracking lens, whether the D800 mates up well with it I really don`t know. to be honest. But you have a good set up there, keep at it and practice, it will come good, but it takes time.

Bloodyaussie
7th February 2013, 09:28 AM
Damn, you got a D800...................my dream camera, maybe next month i`ll get one.

Which lenses do you have?

PS...B.A.....I have a 12 bore as well as a .247 and .22270, but they ain`t for little birds.

Ahh a response.... I thought this was a private conversation???

Yeah I have 3 .22's , 12g, .410, 243,204, 30/06 and an air rifle.......

Hitting a bird with a .270 would be interesting.... not that I would, the only birds I shoot are Indian Minor birds.

fracster
7th February 2013, 11:17 AM
Private convo? Nah, me and outback were probably boring everyone else rigid............:icon_bonk:

Inian Minor birds, are they vermin down under then?

outback
10th February 2013, 02:55 AM
Private convo? Nah, me and outback were probably boring everyone else rigid............:icon_bonk:

Inian Minor birds, are they vermin down under then?

Vermin!!! Undrestatement of the year! That might give you some understanding of their status.