PDA

View Full Version : Had a new Y62 Patrol for a night

AJoz
1st February 2013, 06:35 PM
Got a new Patrol on loan for the night, thanks to Malcolm from Whyalla Nissan. Very very nice. Fuel consumption around town looks to be about the same as the GTS. Highway fuel is a bit high cruise controlling at 110 (12-13L/100) but its only done 400kms.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/aj4wd/7D014765.jpg

Its a fair bit bigger than the GU. Trakta has 4″ lift and 35″ tyres and the new one is still slightly taller. Inside its a massive difference. Could comfortably get a 40L Engel behind the 3rd row seats.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/aj4wd/7D014756.jpg

Pretty much did what I wanted to do. Cant take it offroad unfortunately.
Checked the acceleration (like a cut cut snake), braking (sensational – a GU can only dream of stopping this well), around town driveability (slightly thirsty, dead quiet, handles reasonably, bloody big) and a couple of highway runs (reasonable fuel, super quiet, 1800rpm @ 110).

Importantly it passed the Woolies shopping test and driveway cred, so really only has the school run left in the morning. :biggrin:

threedogs
1st February 2013, 07:01 PM
Very nice lots of buttons to play with I take it.
Where do you see its market, retirees going around Aust????

Yendor
1st February 2013, 07:19 PM
Looking at the Y62 sitting next to your Y61, I know which one I would prefer.

Add in the cost of the Y62 along with Nissan excellent warranty track record :rolleyes:

I wonder how many Y62 they will sell?????

Lonicus
1st February 2013, 07:20 PM
Might be hard to tempt those wanting to spend $100k+ on a 4x4 away from the Toyo, particularly in the early years of release.

macca86
1st February 2013, 07:41 PM
They have been around uae Russia a d Europe for 3 years hardly new at all just new here. I'm still not sold for the cash you could get a gu 8 all the bells and whistles and a camper or van

Lonicus
1st February 2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I meant in the early years of local release. Personally I'd go with a Y61 and keep the change for a boat for after the trip :)

Bloodyaussie
1st February 2013, 07:49 PM
Go on sneak out for a night drive..... what are some killer tracks in SA..... Growler would have fun with that!!!

growler2058
1st February 2013, 07:55 PM
Go on sneak out for a night drive..... what are some killer tracks in SA..... Growler would have fun with that!!!

Id bust something like that hahahahahahahaha

Bloodyaussie
1st February 2013, 07:56 PM
Id bust something like that hahahahahahahaha

I would not doubt it mate...... we were talking about what you are capable of at the Vic meet up mate..... you would have fun doing it wouldn't you?????

Clunk
1st February 2013, 07:57 PM
And don't forget, these things were originally badge under Infinity in the US so have been around awhile....... aimed at the LC200 market, so reckon it should do ok

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

growler2058
1st February 2013, 07:58 PM
I would not doubt it mate...... we were talking about what you are capable of at the Vic meet up mate..... you would have fun doing it wouldn't you?????

I would drive it like i stole it hahahhahahahahaha

Seriously though i would love to try it out on some rough stuff to see what its really like

BigRAWesty
1st February 2013, 08:06 PM
My biggest grip is still the motor. Stick a 20foot caravan on it and watch you fuel tanks be sucked dry like Elvis as attached...
Petrols will never be any good for towing or torque heavy applications... Thus why we need a diesel...

But it does ozze sophistication..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Clunk
1st February 2013, 09:35 PM
My biggest grip is still the motor. Stick a 20foot caravan on it and watch you fuel tanks be sucked dry like Elvis as attached...
Petrols will never be any good for towing or torque heavy applications... Thus why we need a diesel...

But it does ozze sophistication..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

I beg to differ, petrols are great for towing...... theyre just very thirsty that all!!!!! IMO anyone who can afford to by one isn't going to have a problem with affording to keep it fed

megatexture
1st February 2013, 10:32 PM
Arnt they longer then y61 also then chuck on a bullbar rear bar and a wheel on the back lol it'll be wearing a long load sticker lol

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 08:06 PM
Rented one for two weeks when I was in Qatar for work - very very nice, but dont give you the 'tough as a box of nails' feeling the older ones do.
Course it didnt drive like a box of nails either, but you got that 'middle aged spread' thought like the 200 series LC
Isnt the GU still going to be available alongside it?

Jock
5th February 2013, 10:52 AM
Had a look at one at Grand Nissan, Morphett Vale. Service guy I talked to had the same opinion regarding petrol consumption. I got the feeling they were not looking to sell a lot of these.

Woof
6th February 2013, 02:36 AM
I think that I will stick with my GQ, looks better and would handle off road stuff better as well

cgm
6th February 2013, 04:19 AM
Had 3 generations out together a couple of weekends back. Forgot to take a pic of all 3 together.

I didn't drive the latest one, but it followed everywhere I went with the GU in the sand even though it was completely stock (but had a very experienced driver). There was a bit of teasing about it being a city car. At lunch it was fun comparing the rear bumpers of all 3 cars. That pretty much summed it up for me. We ate lunch while watching the split in the rear plastic bumper get stitched up with my cable ties. :)

The power was awesome though. Watching it accelerate from a standing start put the 4800 to shame without doubt. I think the split bumper was probably because the spare tyre underneath pushed back on it. Suspension would be hard to lift/change as well.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ps8QfxneH68/URE75SUKUdI/AAAAAAAAAf8/ugagUDamRAI/s800/20130118_114435.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9PmsE8Rr2PQ/URE7wFuuDnI/AAAAAAAAAf0/g6taAz-kpb0/s800/20130118_121733.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--2Df5zELb_Q/URE9ErPVMdI/AAAAAAAAAgE/1jCLFJ7ben8/s800/20130117_162958.jpg

tapatalk on galaxy note

cgm
6th February 2013, 05:32 AM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/aj4wd/7D014765.jpg

Its a fair bit bigger than the GU. Trakta has 4″ lift and 35″ tyres and the new one is still slightly taller.

It's a great pic with them side by side ... Can see the height like you've mentioned, but also compare the ground clearance. Look at where the side step is on each of them.

Dave_H
30th November 2013, 01:23 PM
IMO they are just starting to make them like the American caddilac escalades etc, unless you have $$$ to throw away who will buy one and take it serious 4wding. I may be wrong just my opinion.

coiled
2nd December 2013, 10:11 PM
I am not their mark, having just bought a brand new Y61 for all the reasons not to buy a Y62 or 200 series but I think they have some merit and place in our market once people reprogram. Reading reports they are more capable offroad than a 200 series are smoother and quiter etc. On the topic of fuel, 200 series owners use anywhere up to about 25L/100km towing and proud of it for the power. This has more power and if it does use more fuel it is marginal and the $ difference in purchase between it and the Toyo will pay for the gap easily. Resale is probably the question mark.

Beno
12th January 2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I meant in the early years of local release. Personally I'd go with a Y61 and keep the change for a boat for after the trip :)

Those were my thoughts too!! (Just purchased a Y61).

MudRunnerTD
12th January 2014, 02:15 PM
Some guys in Melbourne have one fitted with a full Radflow Remote Res suspension system. 2" lift and would handle it well on that setup.

A Rasller rear bar with swing away some long range tanks and would make a wicked tourer!

I did a trip through the centre a few years so towing the camper with another guy towing with a 4.8. He was sucking soooo much juice! But! He got everywhere I got with the fuel range. This is the key. Fuel range.

A conversation at a fuel stop pretty well hit it in a nut shell, running on LPG is cheap enough through the year and the $10,000 difference in purchase price quickly offsets the cost of fuel when touring.

Assuming that this 5.6l petrol is as tidy as the LS2 then the fuel economy around town and country travelling would be more than impressive for the power.

FNQGU
12th January 2014, 02:17 PM
I am not their mark, having just bought a brand new Y61 for all the reasons not to buy a Y62 or 200 series but I think they have some merit and place in our market once people reprogram. Reading reports they are more capable offroad than a 200 series are smoother and quiter etc. On the topic of fuel, 200 series owners use anywhere up to about 25L/100km towing and proud of it for the power. This has more power and if it does use more fuel it is marginal and the $ difference in purchase between it and the Toyo will pay for the gap easily. Resale is probably the question mark.

Good points. It will be interesting to compare some towing fuel figures to the 200LC. I have certainly seen 25l/100km in a 200 series when towing my boat and camping gear. If this petrol V8 is anywhere close to that, it might be an interesting comparison.