PDA

View Full Version : towball recovery !

megatexture
31st January 2013, 01:30 AM
we were camping at teewah beach and were evacuated just before the floods hit and an old fella got bogged in his cruiser pulling a camper so his mate came over to help they proceeded to wrap one end around the shackle holding on the leaf springs on the bogged vehicle and throw a strap on thetow ball of the recovery vehicle even though we all told them this wasn’t a good idea so ... the strap snapped on the first attempt so they tied a knot in it and threw it over the tow ball again and off they went .. We picked up the broken end of the strap to chuck it out and found it had 2 rusted bolts in it! The strap had been repaired! I just couldn’t believe my eyes!

Oh and there’s a nice gu in the vid also lol

the crazy thing is when he opened his door to get the strap out there was a new one on the seat beside the old one he picked up !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4MQwbdJu4

Clunk
31st January 2013, 01:45 AM
Crazy crazy craziness, isn't it great when people don't listen to good advice

To tap, or not to tap: Well it's obviously tap because this is the signature hey!!!!!! Duh

megatexture
31st January 2013, 01:47 AM
they got bogged on the way out also .. and getting around in d's they were all kinds of wrong

threedogs
31st January 2013, 08:18 AM
Here's a pic that may be misleading to some, 3500 kg
Tow balls are for towing ONLY NOT RECOVERIES

Maxhead
31st January 2013, 08:22 AM
No wonder the snatch snapped....see the twist in it!!!!

At least the was no one killed or injured!

Bloodyaussie
31st January 2013, 08:31 AM
You should have just spent the whole time laughing out loud at them............

lorrieandjas
31st January 2013, 10:20 AM
I love incompetence - did you see the pile of sand in front of his front wheels - shovel, little bit of sweat and a I reckon he could've driven it out. That snatch was a great advertisement for all the things not to do!

Jas

MudRunnerTD
31st January 2013, 10:23 AM
Speechless

Lonicus
31st January 2013, 10:44 AM
Some people just don't know how lucky they are to still be whole, and breathing.

the ferret
31st January 2013, 11:42 AM
Speechless

:jawdrop: Probably going to take a few more deaths until people wake up!!!:jawdrop:

TimE
31st January 2013, 11:48 AM
Having been warned of the consequences of their stupidity, could there now be a case for attempted man slaughter !

MC97GQ
31st January 2013, 01:58 PM
:jawdrop: Probably going to take a few more deaths until people wake up!!!:jawdrop:

Only problem is Ferret,

YOU CAN"T PUT BRAINS IN STATUES.

I don't get why people ignore perfectly good advice, especially if it is given in the right way.

What am I talking about, I should have read my own post.

Mark

BigRAWesty
31st January 2013, 03:36 PM
WTF.. are you serious. Homer has more brains.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
31st January 2013, 03:48 PM
The ARROGANCE of the Tow Vehicle beggars Belief!

No i wont take your advice about Tow Balls!

Yes I will use a broken snatch strap to to a bogged Car and Trailer

If the Tow Ball breaks then it wont affect my car anyway! Straight through the windscreen of the poor bloke taking his mates advice!!!

DUMB!!! DUMB!!! DUMB!!!

megatexture
31st January 2013, 07:52 PM
Lmao your reactions were the same as every one I was camping with, we were all shocked even my wife knew it was wrong!
It was literally the shell be right attitude us Aussies love and I was actually nervous watching,when the strap snapped you can see the camera move That was my butt cheeks holding back lol

GUtsy ute
31st January 2013, 08:19 PM
The way those two tojos struggled in the sand, looks like the tyre pressures were way too high.

MudRunnerTD
31st January 2013, 08:24 PM
The way those two tojos struggled in the sand, looks like the tyre pressures were way too high.

Yep I thought the same thing. Road pressures for sure!

Coldcomfort
31st January 2013, 08:32 PM
Can someone post that on a cruiser forum???

BigRAWesty
31st January 2013, 08:56 PM
I've stuck it on earth...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

megatexture
31st January 2013, 09:43 PM
But on a side note did ya see the gu lmao

BigRAWesty
31st January 2013, 09:57 PM

I did. I did. I would have been moving it well away from the action.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

megatexture
31st January 2013, 10:41 PM
Ye I had thought of that but it happened fast and I wanted to get myself back a bit more than the gu lol

GUtsy ute
31st January 2013, 10:52 PM

Was the only vehicle worth looking at!!

Woof
1st February 2013, 01:48 AM
We can only try to educate people but some will never learn until it is too late.............well done mate for trying.

Squalo
1st February 2013, 03:09 PM
I love incompetence - did you see the pile of sand in front of his front wheels - shovel, little bit of sweat and a I reckon he could've driven it out. That snatch was a great advertisement for all the things not to do!

And just leaving the bit of damaged strap on the beach rather than taking it to bin it later... did they do anything right at all???

Cheers for the clip, if I see either of those vehicles stuck up there I'll be sure to give them a wide berth.

Awesome GU there too :)

Morton
4th February 2013, 10:47 PM
the worst part was missed by all, the towball is in the centre but where attached to the other it was off to the right, basically in line with the driver, if the ball snapped it would go through the drivers head

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2013, 12:32 AM
the worst part was missed by all, the towball is in the centre but where attached to the other it was off to the right, basically in line with the driver, if the ball snapped it would go through the drivers head

Hi Morton, actually i think it gets far worse than that! Obviously the risk to the life of the rear Driver is bloody obvious and it was alway going to go through his head but have a read of the Original Post again! WOW

we were camping at teewah beach and were evacuated just before the floods hit and an old fella got bogged in his cruiser pulling a camper so his mate came over to help they proceeded to wrap one end around the shackle holding on the leaf springs on the bogged vehicle and throw a strap on the tow ball of the recovery vehicle even though we all told them this wasn’t a good idea so ... the strap snapped on the first attempt so they tied a knot in it and threw it over the tow ball again and off they went .. We picked up the broken end of the strap to chuck it out and found it had 2 rusted bolts in it! The strap had been repaired! I just couldn’t believe my eyes!

Oh and there’s a nice gu in the vid also lol

the crazy thing is when he opened his door to get the strap out there was a new one on the seat beside the old one he picked up !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4MQwbdJu4

Arrogant and Crazy

NP99
9th May 2013, 11:31 PM
I think if this turned into a fatality, the investigation would blame, inexperience, snatch strap fatigue, anything but the towball. We need mandatory labelling on towbars or similar.

taslucas
10th May 2013, 08:06 AM
I think if this turned into a fatality, the investigation would blame, inexperience, snatch strap fatigue, anything but the towball. We need mandatory labelling on towbars or similar.

Nah the coroners are pretty good at finding the truth. Theres a few coroners reports for towball deaths been posted in this forum. The one from north west tas is like a horror story.
Also if the snatch strap isn't broken then strap fatigue can't be blamed

FanTapstic!

threedogs
10th May 2013, 10:55 AM
latest 4x4 Aust mag {june} has plate that slips over Towball. AKA shackle style and
warning on face book I think to avoid at all cost ,and rightly so.
Maybe old news but never enough warnings

Just watched that Vid, few things stand out first is they had no idea how to use recover equipment.
must have only brought 4x4 to tow camper etc and access some fishing spots.
would highly recommend both attend or join a club ,too many bad habits IMO

krbrooking
10th May 2013, 11:25 AM
Like the saying goes you can drag the horse to the water, some drink it some don't and then other just jump right in and drown, they were just lucky they only refused the water, by the looks of that strap I wouldn't even use it to tie my dog up.

Matty_D
3rd June 2013, 06:42 PM
People dont understand that Towing and SNATCHING are two completly different things, just because a car has say 3.5tonne towing Times that by 10% is classed as the "Downball Weight" so effectivly 350kgs....

SNATCHING FROM TOWBALLS is stupid, a lady was recently killed in geraldton infront of her 3 kids from a towbar breaking off the recovery vehicle, coming through the windscreen.... unfortunant event but it is seriously retarded.

threedogs
3rd June 2013, 07:20 PM
Sad to hear but it still happens, was talking to some accessory fitters last saturday morning.
From what I heard I would replace a towball every year if towing trailers on a regular basis.
They told me they crack under ball and break. I'll ask BA about his and maybe do a crack test on it
2 sprays. for what its worth seems most ppl buy the heaviest caravan they can to do the BIG LAP.
just wonder what condition the towball is in after all the stop/start, to/fro, should be interesting.

MudRunnerTD
20th April 2014, 12:19 AM
Just grabbed this pic off Facebook..

This is the inside view of the rear wall of the Tray on a Trayback. He was trying to recover a Disco and the disco had a non rated recovery point on the front. I consider both vehicles to blame, the guy who took the pic complained that it was a pissy little loop welded to the chassis and this happened to his mates car as a result.... I question why he let the snatch get hooked up to junk in the first place.

step in folks if it does not look right this could have been a tragedy today

04OFF
20th April 2014, 09:13 AM
That almost looks like cast alloy MR , WTF would anyone even have that on their car for anything ?

Helped some stuck folks on Teewah this week, Landcruiser stuck , 100% driver error, even the mrs said, "just go tell him to hop out for a sec ,so someone can drive it out for him"

Many of you will have seen it all before (as I have)........

Guy in stuck car "keeps on" attempting to drive out/spin wheels, even though everyone has told him to stop, its not working.

Guy in stuck car is happy to sit in car with window up, while everyone else does everything, including me digging his tyres out with my shovel.

The subject of tyre pressure receives no response from "anyone"

Another car in front reverses back to throw on the snatch strap ,(before ive even finished digging !), then proceeds to, yes throw it straight on the tow ball, I quickly explained how tow balls can snap and kill people when snatching, eventually, to my surprize, the guy came up with a different solution for attachment, (instead of the usual , "ive done it a thousand times", response) but he was starting to get a little snappy, so that's when we departed the immediate scene.

Two attempts they got out, would have been one pull, but first attempt ,the tow car looked like it just drove off, because the snatch strap just "fell off" the front of the cruiser before even looking like taking up any tension ! (hahahah)

I drove through it straight after at about 1200rpm ,using the same line going through his holes (lol) :biggrin:

taslucas
20th April 2014, 09:27 AM
That almost looks like cast alloy MR , WTF would anyone even have that on their car for anything ?

Looks like a standard steel tray side to me? Even has a tiny bit of rust showing.

04OFF
20th April 2014, 09:42 AM
Looks like a standard steel tray side to me? Even has a tiny bit of rust showing.

Bwahahah, I talking about the "projectile" embedded in the side of the tray Lucas ! (lol) :thumbup:

taslucas
20th April 2014, 09:45 AM
Bwahahah, I talking about the "projectile" embedded in the side of the tray Lucas ! (lol) :thumbup:

Hahaha oh yerp sorry my bad!

growler2058
20th April 2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry Steve I rekon its a standard shackle mate.
Dumb arses either way!
If it doesn't look right IT ISNT

04OFF
20th April 2014, 10:28 AM
Sorry Steve I rekon its a standard shackle mate.
Dumb arses either way!
If it doesn't look right IT ISNT

Yep, have to agree, after looking again (properly) it is 100% a shackle, ouch !

taslucas
20th April 2014, 10:46 AM
Yep, have to agree, after looking again (properly) it is 100% a shackle, ouch !

Hence why I thought you were talking about the tray lol

MudRunnerTD
20th April 2014, 11:27 AM
Just grabbed this pic off Facebook..

This is the inside view of the rear wall of the Tray on a Trayback. He was trying to recover a Disco and the disco had a non rated recovery point on the front. I consider both vehicles to blame, the guy who took the pic complained that it was a pissy little loop welded to the chassis and this happened to his mates car as a result.... I question why he let the snatch get hooked up to junk in the first place.

step in folks if it does not look right this could have been a tragedy today

Yes so to clarify, this is a 4.7T shackle that has smashed through the steal tail gate of a Ute Tray that was the Recovery Vehicle. The guy who took the pick was his mate. Below is the comments that go with the photo. My question is.... If this guy identified that the pissy little recovery point was inadequate then WHY Did he attach the snatch strap to it. As I said I think everyone is to blame here. I would have left his car bogged and offered him a ride out!

Ian Challis Did you break the snatch strap?
23 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown Nope the recovery point off the over vehicle broke
23 hours ago · Like

Ian Challis Obviously not a very good recovery point.
23 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown Nope steel rod the size of your pinkie welded to the chassis and they thought that was a good point to recover off
23 hours ago · Like · 1

Ian Challis Hope that they offer to pay for the repairs to your car
23 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown Nope they didn't have 2 dollars between them were lucky were paying for a tray side and not a coffin
23 hours ago · Like · 12

Ian Challis That's for sure.
23 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown There snorkel looked like a drain pipe they had just ripped of a house we just left then there after that we were like if you don't have the proper recovery points or gear you's can get stuffed my mat wasn't happy at all he was about to blow up at these guys
23 hours ago · Like · 2

Ian Challis Some people just don't have a clue.
23 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown No theses guys didn't going out with out another vehicle they were asking for trouble we just told the better make a phone call to Clayton's towing
23 hours ago · Like · 2

Kris Bird Paul Young good example of recovery points not rated for use. Good for the main page.
17 hours ago · Like · 4

Shane Parrey What was the car that was being recovered
16 hours ago · Like

Mitchell Brown Land rover discovery Shane Parrey

healy
20th April 2014, 11:34 AM
So the blokes who attempted the recovery say the blokes that were bogged didnt have a clue. Am I missing something here? From what I can see none of them have a fn clue.

MudRunnerTD
20th April 2014, 11:39 AM
So the blokes who attempted the recovery say the blokes that were bogged didnt have a clue. Am I missing something here? From what I can see none of them have a fn clue.

100% agree.

04OFF
20th April 2014, 02:28 PM
Hence why I thought you were talking about the tray lol

Haha I.C.,well now makes perfect sense now why we both got a bit confused.

Sometimes the old intermerweb is as clear a mud (lol) :biggrin:

Golioth
28th October 2014, 04:48 PM
that is insane. who in their right mind would try to repair a snatch? craziness

4bye4
24th January 2015, 11:24 PM
Tow ball to tow ball! And a very professional joining of snatch straps. LOL.
http://youtu.be/Q8lMxYnGIrw

Avo
25th January 2015, 02:25 AM
I had someone conme and had a look at my car(yes I maybe seling it)them stickers are a good thing,snatch strap&towball = death..
..makes them ask and then you can explpain..

hsinlee
14th February 2015, 06:34 PM
right thing should be used in right place.

Majestic
19th February 2015, 05:51 PM
Jesus, what a bunch of idiots. No wonder they're driving cruisers. If they had any brains they would have used proper recovery points, a decent snatch strap and be driving Patrols. :D

Suggestion, perhaps someone could make up stickers as warning labels that we all can buy to put on our Patrols to try and help advertise this message.

I'm going to go share that vid on FB.