PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Tyres worth the money

Kev223
28th January 2013, 03:43 PM
Hi All, Im up for a new set of tyres I currently have BFGoodrich all Terrain T/A.
My question is are Cooper tyres worth the money that has to be spent on them Im looking at the S/T Maxx ?

growler2058
28th January 2013, 04:18 PM
I havent had a real good run outa them in the past. Others have. Ive gone for Mickey Thompson this time round (come from the same factory as coopers) whicever you choose get 5 and rotate regularly for maximum longeviety

MudRunnerTD
28th January 2013, 04:35 PM
After having a Cooper AT delamenate the full length of tread off the car use at 100k/h while towing my camper with the family in the car and then have Cooper reject the warranty claim and offer me a hat as good will I will NEVER spend money on Cooper Tyres Again!

Go to the 5 rib Mickey Ts mate

the ferret
28th January 2013, 04:45 PM
Try the MAXXIS BIGHORNS mate, chick pullers!!!

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/beutute2.jpg

Kev223
28th January 2013, 05:45 PM
After having a Cooper AT delamenate the full length of tread off the car use at 100k/h while towing my camper with the family in the car and then have Cooper reject the warranty claim and offer me a hat as good will I will NEVER spend money on Cooper Tyres Again!

Go to the 5 rib Mickey Ts mate

That solves that one then Thanks

threedogs
28th January 2013, 05:52 PM
I'll back Mudrunner stay clear of Coopers if thats their attitude, Mickey thomson do a great 4 rib A/T
I have Mickey T 305 MTZ and love em. but for HWY only I have cooper ATR's {last time}

Love your work Ferret lol

Kev223
28th January 2013, 05:55 PM
LOL mate, I will have to think about the MAXXIS BIGHORNS as well then if they work that well, although don't really know what the wife would say

Woof
28th January 2013, 06:05 PM
Had STs and SSTs, would never use them again, currently running Federal Couragia Mud Terrain 35" on 15" rims, bit noisy on the black stuff but great off road...............having said that, everyone has their own opinion regarding tyres, some good some bad.
I just decided to try something different for a change, was running BFG M/Ts but found them too expensive to replace.

megatexture
28th January 2013, 06:13 PM
Try the MAXXIS BIGHORNS mate, chick pullers!!!

Ill 2nd that and the ferret cropped out the trailer of women I was pulling also lol

the ferret
28th January 2013, 06:17 PM
Sorry mate, had to, it had LC wheels lol.
A set of Big horns, an Engel, and three good look'n chicks, what else is there??
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
28th January 2013, 06:25 PM
Tyre opinions are always like opening a can of worms. Me and a mate both have the Cooper stt's and think they are great tyres. Dad and another mate run the Cooper a/ts without an issue.
My brother has the federal couragias in 35" and they have less grip than my Coopers.
Two other mates (with patrols) have mickey Thompson mtz's and while I reckon they are quite grippy, it's only because they're so soft. Man they wear down quick!

FanTapstic!

the evil twin
28th January 2013, 06:52 PM
Tyre opinions are always like opening a can of worms. Me and a mate both have the Cooper stt's and think they are great tyres. Dad and another mate run the Cooper a/ts without an issue.

I havent had a real good run outa them in the past. Others have. Ive gone for Mickey Thompson this time round (come from the same factory as coopers) whicever you choose get 5 and rotate regularly for maximum longeviety

... and there you have it. Just like Taslucas says, the can she be opened :biggrin:

FWIW...
Easily the best performing tyre I have had on my Patrols off road is Procomp.
Easily the worst is Kumho.
The second best after Procomp is a deadheat between Coopers and BFG... never had Maxxis, Mickey T's, Federals etc but I am sure they are good as well.
Are Coopers worth the money? Mine were (but totally understand mudrunners view).
Are BFG's, Procomp, MT's, Maxxis, Federal etc etc etc worth the money as well? Yes they all are.
Which one too buy? The one you get the best deal on that suits your terrain, driving style, useage and vehicle set-up

BigRAWesty
28th January 2013, 06:58 PM
Spot on about a can of worms..
I reckon you can't beat the good old desert dualers for a AT tyre. Sure there a little old but I have never had an issue with them and they are great value for money.

Saying that my olds went to copper atr's when it became a road tourer and we've never had a issue.

I had to go stick a set of Goodyear wrangler atr's on due to cash shortage.. and I think ill be lucky if they reach 30 k on them. The coppers have double that already on the rear and still have more tread.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 07:20 PM
Geez you Patrol boys know how to roll!

Robbomaz
4th February 2013, 07:23 PM
My brother has the federal couragias in 35" and they have less grip than my Coopers.
Two other mates (with patrols) have mickey Thompson mtz's and while I reckon they are quite grippy, it's only because they're so soft. Man they wear down quick!

FanTapstic!
I concur. My Mickey T MTZs are sensational all round but I'll be lucky to get 30000 from a rotated set of 6.......I dont spare the right foot but even so...!

brw1994
4th February 2013, 09:26 PM
Sorry mate, had to, it had LC wheels lol.
A set of Big horns, an Engel, and three good look'n chicks, what else is there??
Cheers, the ferret.

The rock sliders ;) And Snorkel :D

I personally haven't heard bad repots about the New bighorns other than road noise, A bloke from work who's had Coopers, Mickey T's etc is going back to bighorns and he has the money to spare for more expensive tread so he's confident in them

rottodiver
13th February 2013, 11:25 PM
bit late on the reply here but thought i would share!!! i am on my second set of stt's... i wouldnt get anything else now.... over the years i have had M/T's and BFG's and the coopers for me run rings around them.... also the only tyres i have not done side wall damage!!!

Drewboyaus
14th February 2013, 01:06 PM
One of my best mates who had ST's on his Prado had lugs coming off almost from day one.
The distributor in Australia kept on blaming everything but the tyre and wouldn't replace them. Even in the face of Cooper USA apparently saying they would.
It was only when I started a social media campaign that things changed, constant posting of pics and comments on the Cooper FB page....,I even set up a page and linked it to theirs called Cooper tyres are rubbish and they don't stand behind their product....
Only took a few days of that for my mate to get a call from the disty in Aus saying how he had 5 new ST Max's for him and they would be fitted at no charge.....made it sound like he was doing him a favour....p#%k! It only took 2 years!
As a result like MR there is no way I will put Coopers near my rig. BFG's and Micky's for me.......

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Wizard52
14th February 2013, 03:54 PM
Same company imports and distributes Coopers and Micky Thompson tyres

Drewboyaus
14th February 2013, 04:05 PM
Same company imports and distributes Coopers and Micky Thompson tyres

Damnation! Just as well I have BFGs on at the moment.....lol.
That is a bit annoying though.....guess I'll just have to stick to KM2's

krbrooking
15th February 2013, 08:22 AM
I have the pro comp extreme at's and can't fault them one bit of and on road. I have done around 70000 km and still have heaps of tread. Not as grippy in the wet as I would like on road. The bloke that sold me on them said that the coolers are warranted for the 75000 or so as long as you don't take them off road don't know how true it is though, he also said that the pro comps are warranted for around 65000 from memory. The Km's could be a bit out but would be around there from memory.

Drewboyaus
15th February 2013, 09:11 AM
The bloke that sold me on them said that the coolers are warranted for the 75000 or so as long as you don't take them off road

I've heard the same but blows me away that such conditions would exist with OFF ROAD tyres. Weird stuff.

menis
15th February 2013, 12:18 PM
I concur. My Mickey T MTZs are sensational all round but I'll be lucky to get 30000 from a rotated set of 6.......I dont spare the right foot but even so...!

FanTapstic!

ive done 35,000 on my 285/75/16 mtz's mosty bitumen driving and i still have 8-9mm tread left! im only doin a rotation of 4 tyres every 5k!
i have noticed they are goin a bit hard tho.

cheers

taslucas
15th February 2013, 02:59 PM
Theses are my 33" cooper stt's with just over 20,000 ks on them. %80 bitumen, %15 gravel, %5 mud/grass.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/02/85.jpg

Still look brand new. 16mm of grip left

EDIT: this pic is of the rear. I haven't rotated yet (well I did but then rotated back to where they started a week later-- trying to find the cause if a vibration).
Oops I know I probably should have rotated them more but I'm slack. On the upside they are wearing completely equally from side to side

FanTapstic!

rottodiver
15th February 2013, 04:03 PM
Well, it is good to see that most are happy with there brand of tyre, I feel a little disappointed for the guys that have had a bad run because we know none of them are cheap.... It is great to hear the differences of opinions we all have over the same tyres and how the quality varies.... I guess I am one of the lucky ones at the moment with tyres.

Scotty

matty_3977
18th February 2013, 10:29 AM
Having been in the tyre game for 6 years now its been my experience that people that like cooper tyres generally have only ever had coopers tyres on thier cars. Stay away from them I say, any 4x4 tyre company that voids the warranty if the tyre goes off road ain't a great one, BFG or MICKEY T all the way.

taslucas
18th February 2013, 11:50 AM
Having been in the tyre game for 6 years now its been my experience that people that like cooper tyres generally have only ever had coopers tyres on thier cars. Stay away from them I say, any 4x4 tyre company that voids the warranty if the tyre goes off road ain't a great one, BFG or MICKEY T all the way.

Well heres 4 people that have them on their 4x4s:-)

FanTapstic!

FanTapstic!

mcleod
18th February 2013, 01:27 PM
I was thinking about changing to cooper after an upcoming trip to the gulf but swayed by a co-worker to steer clear. He claimed all is good with coopers until something goes wrong, actually getting a warranty claim out of them is like getting blood from a stone. So many conditions that they will void it easily. Not great when you pay decent dollars for them. As a result I am thinking similar to what others have posted, steer clear. My current tyres are BFG atr's, they are a great tyre, done 70k thus far and still couple ml tread left. I will be sticking with them.

petercafxt
11th March 2013, 07:41 AM
G'day

If you love Coopers, that's ok for those who use them, but when I bought my ZD30, it had Coopers tyres. Found out a couple of times that they are definitely not good on the bitumen in the wet (especially high speed braking to avoid a roo or two). I suppose that is from the large lugs and hard compound.

I have heard (from the seller) that the latest Cooper tyres are much better, but still they are a harder compound than some others. Naturally this means longer life, but again, since most 4x4 do over 90% of the time on the sealed road, a less aggressive tread with (slightly?) softer compound, will be my next choice.

At this stage I am tending towards Bridgestone Duelers as I had the Desert Duelers on a twin cab Bravo 2500 for 19 years (yes, more than one set) and they worked very well in hot sand in the Centre, on the road and on muddy tracks around the top end. Got between 65-80k kms out of them. The only trouble I have had with them was when I tried to pump the tyres back up after going through some very soft hot sand. The pump stopped with the rears still down....130km at low pressures didn't help. Still, they didn't delaminate until about 10000km later.

See you

Peter

Jacket_1985
24th March 2013, 08:35 AM
If you gave me cooper tyres for free, they would never go on my car. i would still rather pay for procomp, interco, simex, or maxxis. . . . . . Like i do. and yes, iv had all of them.
Cooper = Fail. and the nitwits that try selling them on tv like "deeper tread means longer life" dont get me started.

There is an inverse relationship between grip and tyre life. its called compound. you want a tyre to last? make it out of solid steel. it will have very little grip but will last a bogteenzillion years. just like cooper.

SonOf
12th April 2013, 05:11 PM
I currently run Cooper ST Max tyres on my ZD30 - So far I have had no issue with them and they have performed well. I live in Southern TAS so drive in a lot of wet & Icy roads and have been happy with the grip etc. Had Bridgestones before and was not happy with them at all. Have also heard good things about Micky's so as I am up for new rubber on the other Troll I am thinking of giving them a go to see how they compare.

MEGOMONSTER
13th April 2013, 03:48 PM
My mate has Cooper STT's for over 80 thousand kms so far and still has them on, rotates every 5k and have worn fairly evenly, most on Tarmac and some dirt tracks, doesn't really go off roading.
He has been pleased with their performance but is going to change to Cooper ST MAXX all terrains on the next pair of shoes.

bugster
16th April 2013, 02:30 PM
i had coopers on my last vehicle, watched them put 140 gram of weight on the rim on one side to balance it out, don't think that was a good start, sold the vehicle now but i had wobble issues for weeks i could not get rid off, i put it down to the tyres in the end

SonOf
16th April 2013, 05:58 PM
i had coopers on my last vehicle, watched them put 140 gram of weight on the rim on one side to balance it out, don't think that was a good start, sold the vehicle now but i had wobble issues for weeks i could not get rid off, i put it down to the tyres in the end

Or the guy balancing them ?

scotty83
16th April 2013, 07:18 PM
I have cooper at3. After having a set of ATR previously I couldn't see myself buying anything else. Love them 80k+ only changed off original set due to wanting to go 4wding and tread being a little low for that stuff.

Tapped on by ScottyB

TMC
16th April 2013, 09:04 PM
I've had st maxx's for 40k now. On road and sand fine. Wear well being hard as buggery.
But ripped them to pieces up landcrusier park. But it's pretty hard terrain there so can't really judge.
Not sure if ill go them again though when I go 35's. maybe two sets.
Coopers for road and something else for play.....

kdex308
22nd April 2013, 07:56 AM
I have Cooper ATR's on my patrol when I purchased it. I think the previous owner used it only on the blacktop and they are OK for that.
Although I have had chunks peeling off the outer edge, mainly from rocky cornering.
I will not be replacing them with Coopers when it is time.
kdex308

basil
23rd April 2013, 08:22 PM
cooper tyres delaminate often and go out of balance easily. BFGs are the go for sure. Bridgestone duellers and Toyo Tyres are good to. I have seen a 4wd with Kelly Safari tyres thats done about 60,000km and there was still heaps of tread left about 5mm from memory. I have never tried Kelly Safari tyres but it looks like they wear well.

taslucas
23rd April 2013, 08:49 PM
cooper tyres delaminate often and go out of balance easily. BFGs are the go for sure. Bridgestone duellers and Toyo Tyres are good to. I have seen a 4wd with Kelly Safari tyres thats done about 60,000km and there was still heaps of tread left about 5mm from memory. I have never tried Kelly Safari tyres but it looks like they wear well.

A few people keep talking about them delaminating etc but I personally have not seen this occur. My Father and a mate both have 31" cooper st max that are wearing beautifully with about 40 and 50 thousand ks on them. A mate and i both have the 33" Stt's and the are wearing absolutely beautifully. His has around 45 thousand and mine have about 30 thou.

happygu
23rd April 2013, 09:46 PM
I've seen delamination, on mine and a second vehicle doing the same 6 hour trip...... Rawson to Licola through Burgoynes Gap

I am nearly getting to the stage where I could contemplate giving them another go, as the grief and pain has subsided over the last 8 years, and I am running Mickey T's, which have been great, and aparently come out of the same factory......

taslucas
24th April 2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah Mickey t's come out of the same factory.
I think there may have been a few bad years for coopers as all the bad stories ive heard of them seem to be around 8-10 years old. But whether it was due to a change in manufacturing or material I'm not sure.

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
24th April 2013, 01:50 PM
I have Bridgestone Dualers A/T and they are CRAP!! Good for sliding around roundabouts with, not so good for trying to stop in a hurry tho ( ABS cant stop them skidding) Not sure what i'll put on next but definitely not them !!!

threedogs
24th April 2013, 03:03 PM
As earlier post I run two sets of tyres/wheels, A bit of a pain in the butt, changing and storage of them.
Dont wont to spend good money on tyres only to see them wear before my eyes, I do like my Cooper ATRs
but off road they are useless. I also dont like the ST's and STT's over priced IMO. Got a little while to
go before I need new tyres. Could be some new compounds ,tread patterns who knows just around the corner
But no more Coopers for me.

basil
1st May 2013, 09:02 PM
I have seen cooper tyres crack at low kms. Thats the start of delamination. I have heard of other similar stories also. If the warranty is voided for a 4WD tyre if you go offroad then to me thats like the warranty on a boat being voided if you put the boat in the water !! When people who work in the tyre game say "stay away from cooper " re; Matty it think it pays to listen. Most tyre brands would have a percentage of failure; but some have a lot more trouble than others with a shonky warranty.