PDA

View Full Version : new turbo

guy forks
29th November 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi to all.fitting a new turbo to a 2002 gr 3.0.is there anything new besides the turbo that i should replace.the old turbo was blowing oil in to the inter cooler,which had a hole in it,which i did not know about until the turbo blew and sprayed the engine with oil.also should i check anything else before fitting the new one.cheers

guy forks
1st December 2010, 06:21 AM
can it be that nobody has fitted a turbo on this forum

Finly Owner
1st December 2010, 11:22 PM
maybe somene is researching this for you. Wait a bit and see what Tony comes up with or some of the other old timers.

YNOT
1st December 2010, 11:57 PM
Given that the turbo is connected to the lubrication and cooling systems it would be wise to replace the oil (and filter) and coolant as a precaution.
What was it that caused your turbo failure?

Who you calling old Tim???

Tony

Finly Owner
2nd December 2010, 12:02 AM
Not you mate, I was talking about ferret, col and those old timers.

guy forks
2nd December 2010, 03:50 AM
not 100% why it went..had an engine management light show a few times.but i would put that down to dirty diesel.There was a hole in the intercooler that i new nothing about

guy forks
2nd December 2010, 04:02 AM
what would normally cause a turbo to blow

YNOT
2nd December 2010, 07:16 AM
Turbo seals can fail with age, bearings from wear, poor oil quality or pressure.
Excessive exhaust gas temperature and over boosting are other possibilities.

Tony

guy forks
2nd December 2010, 07:40 AM
so do you think the fact the intercooler had a hole in it might have caused it to go.

guy forks
2nd December 2010, 07:55 AM
when i fit the new turbo.can i tell if it is getting oil.is there a bleed screw or something

YNOT
2nd December 2010, 09:14 AM
The hole in the intercooler may have contributed but is unlikely to be the sole cause, unless it was a massive hole.

There is no clean way to tell if the turbo is getting oil. If you loosen the turbo oil drain line at the engine end and start the engine there should be a fair amount of oil flowing out of the turbo. That's the only way I know of, but it's going to get very messy.

Tony

guy forks
3rd December 2010, 04:35 AM
ok.thanks i will let you know how i get on

Skegbudley
8th January 2011, 11:08 PM
Other than replacing all the gaskets.
Make sure you pre oil the turbo so it has some lubrication when you fire up the motor.
You will know if the turbo is getting oil because it will blow within a couple of minutes without a fresh oil supply.

A tip on removing & refitting the turbo is to remove the oil filter first. It gives you room to work under the turbo so you only loose a bit of skin when doing up the oil feed pipe.

Milik607
12th February 2011, 08:55 PM
Guys want to ask if the patrol can put a turbo from another car, I mean cheaper.

YNOT
12th February 2011, 09:01 PM
Matching a turbo to an engine is a fine art, fit the wrong turbo and at best you won't be happy with the performance and at worst you'll be fitting a new engine soon after. Getting the original turbo rebuilt may be cheaper than replacing it.

Tony