PDA

View Full Version : The water coming back to the Wimmera River

patch697
23rd June 2010, 05:35 PM
Ok here are some Pics of Me & my Brother out in Western Victoria watching the water coming back into the Wimmera River which had been dry for over 6 yres & had not flowed in over 12yrs. The pics do it no justice it was a spectacular thing to watch in person but I hope you can get some idea. Cheers Paul

This is my brother standing in the very empty Wimmera river at Antwerp

this is my Brother & I standing at the very same 14 hrs later

This is me standing in the middle of the river taking a pic of the water coming down

This is the same part of the river as before but from the bank the same day 7hrs later

My Brother & I on Lake Hindmarsh the same day

AB
23rd June 2010, 06:26 PM
That's insane the amount of water in such a short period of time.

MickyD
23rd June 2010, 06:28 PM
Love the pics mate, 7 hours later.....Full on!!!!

patch697
23rd June 2010, 08:50 PM
It was insane to watch, you had to be there I guess to take in the full impact of it all & even thats not enough to fully comprehend the magnitude of the hole event as it happened I can assure you. Cheers Paul

GQ10
23rd June 2010, 08:56 PM
How's the fishing now or is the water real murky for a bit?

It would be good to flush out all the cr*ap now hey?

patch697
24th June 2010, 01:41 AM
How's the fishing now or is the water real murky for a bit?

It would be good to flush out all the cr*ap now hey?

Mate it would have shocked you to see how fast the fish came back with the water. It did me. We were catching redfin & yellow belly's out of the river 2 weeks after the water peaked.

Timbo
24th June 2010, 09:16 PM
Amazing pics.

Last time i was in Dimboola, the river along side of town there was bone dry. I was up there for my aunty's funeral about 2 years ago, she worked at the Bendigo Bank. I think Dimboola relies heavily on the river there. Glad to see its back in action.

Nissan Kid
24th June 2010, 09:34 PM
Wow They are great Pics.
Mind blowing how fast things can change.

red92gq
11th July 2010, 10:34 PM
I grew up in the wimmera ,but moved to gippsland about 10 years ago .Everything was either dried up or drying up fast when i left ,so its bloody great to see the water coming back.
Has greenlake got water in it yet ,i used to ski there about 20 years ago.

patch697
11th July 2010, 10:48 PM
I grew up in the wimmera ,but moved to gippsland about 10 years ago .Everything was either dried up or drying up fast when i left ,so its bloody great to see the water coming back.
Has greenlake got water in it yet ,i used to ski there about 20 years ago.

No the green lakes still dry so is Hindmarsh. Taylers is at 80% & the Wimmera is full as a bull all the way to Jeparit.

If we get good fall this year thay are predicting Hindmarsh will start to refill & that will be a long overdue sight for saw eyes.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
12th July 2010, 06:30 AM
Ya might be in for a bit more still. It's still wet over here.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR311.loop.shtml#skip

patch697
12th July 2010, 12:38 PM
Ya might be in for a bit more still. It's still wet over here.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR311.loop.shtml#skip

Yep the Farmers will be happy to see this & it all helps. We expect to see the most of the annul fall here from September through to the end of October so I guess we will wait & see what happens.

Cheers
Paul

Woof
12th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Great photos there Paul, so good to see water finally getting to places that really need it.

patch697
12th July 2010, 04:39 PM
Great photos there Paul, so good to see water finally getting to places that really need it.

Thanks Doggie the locals are still stoked about it & if your ever over my way I'll even let you paddle in it......lol

Cheers
Paul