PDA

View Full Version : 1:100000 maps for Oziexplorer

outback
22nd January 2013, 08:10 PM
Out of interest is there any 1:100,000 maps around for Oziexplorer?
Is this a case of buying the paper map getting it scanned and doing a map calibration in Ozi?

From my perspective most available 1;25K maps have minimal detail.

Maxhead
22nd January 2013, 08:17 PM
Out of interest is there any 1:100,000 maps around for Oziexplorer?
Is this a case of buying the paper map getting it scanned and doing a map calibration in Ozi?

From my perspective most available 1;25K maps have minimal detail.

1:25k maps should give you max detail (topo map)and the 250k ones will be least detail(road map). There are some 100k and 50k ones as well

the evil twin
22nd January 2013, 08:30 PM
What part of Oz you after? ... and I think you mean 1:250 K dont you? To get better than 1:25 K you are almost into aerial pics

I find 1:250 is pretty handy for vehicle apps however I admit I have a heap of 1:50 stuff for the real down and dirty but mainly only use them in the Pilbara, Kimberley et al. I also have some 1:25 but they are pretty clumsy and only useful on foot IMHO
The 1:100 isn't all that popular in my world for some reason. Dunno why tho.

The easiest way is to find the maps as electronic files from a Map supplier or direct from Geoscience Australia. A lot of the electronic copies will be calibrated with a format that directly imports into Ozi. If not they calibration process is quite easy and fairly quick.

I haven't had to scan any maps for ages but again importing and calibrating them to Ozi is quite easy

outback
22nd January 2013, 08:43 PM
Sorry should have said From my perspective most available 1:250K maps have minimal detail.
I have the TOPOSA 1:50,000 maps on my HEMA and appear to work quite well.
I just have issues with the 1:250k HEMA and the Mud Map ones.
I run a HN6 as well as the HEMA iPad app and the Mud Map app, Not that impressed with Mud Map so far.

outback
22nd January 2013, 08:46 PM
I sort of get the feeling there are no electronic/DVD versions of the 1:100,000 maps around just paper ones.

Maxhead
22nd January 2013, 08:57 PM
I sort of get the feeling there are no electronic/DVD versions of the 1:100,000 maps around just paper ones.

Any particular area??
http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-bin/mapshop/scan/co=yes/fi=products/sf=prod_group/se=SOFTWARE/op=eq/sf=category/se=Digital%20Maps/op=eq/tf=description.html?open=136

the evil twin
22nd January 2013, 09:06 PM

I think you are probably correct. 1:100's don't cover all of Aus and are/were primarily a Defence instigated thing I think.

If you wanted to jump to the next larger scale... 1:50's in electronic format are readily available over here but dunno about the centre or east parts of Oz.

In saying that the electronic 1:100's and 1:50's I use were purchased from a Map Supplier specific to W.A. so I can't help much... sorry... Indeed they are the same ones in Nissheads link

outback
22nd January 2013, 09:12 PM
Any particular area??
http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-bin/mapshop/scan/co=yes/fi=products/sf=prod_group/se=SOFTWARE/op=eq/sf=category/se=Digital%20Maps/op=eq/tf=description.html?open=136

Yes Gawler Ranges at present I only have half of the National park in 1:50,000

Anyway back to BBQ and dinner

outback
22nd January 2013, 09:14 PM
I think you are probably correct. 1:100's don't cover all of Aus and are/were primarily a Defence instigated thing I think.

If you wanted to jump to the next larger scale... 1:50's in electronic format are readily available over here but dunno about the centre or east parts of Oz.

In saying that the electronic 1:100's and 1:50's I use were purchased from a Map Supplier specific to W.A. so I can't help much... sorry... Indeed they are the same ones in Nissheads link

Thanks, but at present I am staying within SA and I have all the SA 1:50,000 maps.