PDA

View Full Version : Signs of the bbq jets need replacing?

mudski
21st January 2013, 10:41 PM
So as I do things last moment. My three burner camp bbq ain't working as it should and I need it this weekend.
Symptoms...

put on one outside (right side) burner, fine
put the left side burner on and almost straight away the flame will reduce on both burners and then the left side will almost go out.

I swapped the jets over and it does the same thing but to the right side. Plus both burners do reduce.
So this tells me its the jets. Yes? This is all running off a full 9kg bottle too.

Cheers.

Stropp
21st January 2013, 11:02 PM
Check your gas reg, if they sit hooked up to a bottle for a long time the gas will clog it with sulphur, check this first.

BigRAWesty
21st January 2013, 11:23 PM
Check your gas reg, if they sit hooked up to a bottle for a long time the gas will clog it with sulphur, check this first.

X2, and check for kinked hoses

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudski
21st January 2013, 11:33 PM
Not running a reg. The hose is fairly new...

Stropp
21st January 2013, 11:40 PM
Take the hose off the burner and check there is gas of a reasonable pressure coming out of the bottle at the hose end, the hose can collapse internally!

lorrieandjas
22nd January 2013, 12:12 AM
Sounds like bung jets on the burner. Which is what you thought.

Jas

megatexture
22nd January 2013, 01:15 AM
Yea I'd go jets I always carry a good few spares only takes a little dust/ sand in the lines to stuff them up, even take all the jets off and turn burners on and blow a few burst of gas out to clear the lines

threedogs
22nd January 2013, 08:05 AM
Take the cast iron burners out to access the brass jet, use one wire off a wire brush to clear.
As suggested turn on bottle should sound like heaps of gas in bottle.
Tap, repeat tap cast iron burners as they corrode around holes,
Flame should be blue with hint of Yellow if at all
Never had to change a BBQ burner jet in my life. If stuck I can pop over
I know stuff !!

Forget all this, the jets only get bigger as they burn out from different fuel stoves.
can't see it happening on camping gas IMO, PPl don't use stoves enough.
better off with those $15 jobs x 2 , never let me down yet, cheap as chips if they do.
Don't buy double unit just a rip off

stevogq
22nd January 2013, 09:36 AM
Quick answer mark is charcoal can't go wrong i haven't used my 6 burner since I bought it
Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

mudski
23rd January 2013, 05:43 PM
@ TD, The hole in the jets is way smaller than a piece of wire from brush. I tried that...the burners are fine, I will replace the hose just in case....Plus I got one of those little $15 jobbies after seeing Stevo and Trev using theres when we last got together.
@ Stevo, WTF are you talking about?
Somethings blocking the supply, as you turn on one burner as the flame is real good and strong, as soon as the other is on, the first burner reduced down and then both are shite.

Bloodyaussie
23rd January 2013, 05:46 PM
Quick answer mark is charcoal can't go wrong i haven't used my 6 burner since I bought it
Well then Steve you could just give it to me then, I will give it a good home...ha ha!!!!!!

threedogs
23rd January 2013, 05:52 PM
If you don't have a reg what regulates the pressure now?

Have you used before with no reg and OK ???

Sounds to me like they are just equalling out.

stevogq
23rd January 2013, 06:02 PM
Lol I know bud but I'm saying is to buy urself a charcoal BBQ you'll have no dramas

stevogq
23rd January 2013, 06:05 PM
Well then Steve you could just give it to me then, I will give it a good home...ha ha!!!!!!
Sorry buddy a 6 burner in the backyard beats gnomes lmao

mudski
23rd January 2013, 06:12 PM
If you don't have a reg what regulates the pressure now?

Have you used before with no reg and OK ???

Sounds to me like they are just equalling out.
Yeah mate.
Since when does a three burner camp bbq use a burner anyway? Never had to before in my life. Only my big ass seven burner that i use for home bbqs has got a reg.

mudski
23rd January 2013, 06:14 PM
Lol I know bud but I'm saying is to buy urself a charcoal BBQ you'll have no dramas

Not for camping, I don't want to wait for ever for the bloody thing to warm up. I like the click! and its on type of thing. Anyway, looks like I'm not going to Craigs Hut this weekend anyhow now. From what happend yesty and fires started just out of Mansfield, I'm not risking my family...

stevogq
23rd January 2013, 08:28 PM
Have you checked the line between the jets and the connection before the hose?

My dad had the same problem and found out a spider was in their. Sounds silly but worth a go

threedogs
23rd January 2013, 08:34 PM
The Old ittsy bittsy spider in the hose trick eh

stevogq
23rd January 2013, 10:19 PM
Yep td the waterspout ain't big enough for the two of them lol

the ferret
23rd January 2013, 10:24 PM
Crap in the hose mate!!
Cheers, the ferret.

BearGUST
23rd January 2013, 11:03 PM
Crap in the hose mate!!
Cheers, the ferret.

That won't be easy!

healy
25th January 2013, 08:47 AM
I've got a simple answer stop messing around with these multiple burner bbq's like I always have and get your self a weber Q you will never look back best BBQ I've ever had