PDA

View Full Version : has anybody done some home made modificatons to their patrols for the engine perfo...

arinol
28th November 2010, 11:57 AM
hi guys i was just wondering has anybody here done some home made modifications to improve power performance such as bonnet scoops or even something more complicated like used some things they had around to make water cooling for the turbo or fitted some cheap fans or just anything in that nature. if so how and how did it turn out.

YNOT
28th November 2010, 03:22 PM
I'm going to make a big assumption here, that you are trying to find ways to get more power from your RD28.

Basic ways to get more power from an RD28, block the EGR and fit a bigger exhaust. GQ (Y60) RD28 will benefit from an intercooler. After that it's time to start turning up the boost and fuel, but not something you should do unless you know what you're doing.
Turbo's are either water cooled or they're not, it's not something you can retro-fit without replacing the turbo. On it's own changing to water cooled turbo won't result in a power gain.

Tony

arinol
29th November 2010, 04:33 PM
thanks tony my 2.8 already has 3" exhaust and I've also tuned up the diesel fuel injection a bit. however i was more just looking for general things that could work on any car such as fitting hood scopes or messing around with the air intake so it gets cooler air. I'm actually looking for a 3.0ltr 2005 model gu the 2.8 is for sale so any suggestions on tuning in general is welcome. i was just thinking that there must be some kind of genius that has figured out a way to make the air intake even cooler with or without a snorkel. if I'd add anything to the 2.8 it would be a snorkel that would cool the air intake, so the air would be more dense which in my language means more power and slightly better fuel economy.

so in other words has anybody made any modifications to make their fairly standard engine to make it run better and increased the power without sacrificing some of the engine life.
what i said in the post where just some stuff i thought maybe could be done by anybody with a skilled mechanical approach so not necessarily the info I'm after.
anyway intercooler is a good idea but that's already fitted to the 3.0ltr patrols.

spydabate
8th January 2011, 11:17 AM
Im looking for similar ideas. when I bought my GQ my air intake was shocking. it had a piece of PVC pipe in it pointed right at the front of the engine bay sucking in heaps of hot air. I removed the PVC pipe and bought a flexible pipe which now runs out through the left side guard. Im planning to get a snorkel soon but the other problem I have is the the pipe work under the bonnet is not water tight. Will post some pictures soon and hopefully someone can give me ideas on how to change things.

MudRunnerTD
8th January 2011, 04:28 PM
Im looking for similar ideas. when I bought my GQ my air intake was shocking. it had a piece of PVC pipe in it pointed right at the front of the engine bay sucking in heaps of hot air. I removed the PVC pipe and bought a flexible pipe which now runs out through the left side guard. Im planning to get a snorkel soon but the other problem I have is the the pipe work under the bonnet is not water tight. Will post some pictures soon and hopefully someone can give me ideas on how to change things.

The standard Nissan hosing under the bonnet exits out the front of the left side guard where you have likely taken yours. Thats why there was a hole in the inner guard there.

The leaks under your bonnet will be sorted with Silicon mate.....Silicon is your friend for sealing the air intake.