PDA

View Full Version : HELP: No electrics and wagon wont start

bartoni79
28th November 2010, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

Ive got a 1992, petrol GQ. I went to start it this morning, dahslights came on then the ignition just clicked. I then turned the key back to 'off', tried it again and no lights came on the dash, no noise, nothing, even the central locking has stopped working. I had the navman plugged in the ciggy lighter before i started it and the aircon on...could this have done it. I only bought the car 6 months ago, Im not sure how old the battery is but the indicator on the battery shows from 2009-2011, so Im assuming its quite new. Plus the battery points arent corroded and measuring the battery showed a voltage of 12.4 so I presume the battery isnt flat.

Any ideas? Is there one particulary fuse that may cause this if it has blown?

Cheers

Bob
28th November 2010, 12:35 PM
Try reseating the Battery Terminals. ie remove clean and replace making sure a good connection is made

bartoni79
28th November 2010, 01:31 PM
Cheers, oddly, just went and tried again with the same issue. I then turned the headlights on, then it came to came to life, radio came on etc. Then turned it off, restarted and it came to life... Any ideas.. its very odd

YNOT
28th November 2010, 03:08 PM
It could very well be as Bob suggested, a bad connection at the battery terminals. The bad connection may not be visible, so remove the lugs from the battery terminals and clean the lugs and terminals. It's an easy thing to check and costs nothing.
If the problem occurs again you will need to check battery voltage while holding the key in the start position. If the voltage drops below about 11 volts I would be looking for a new battery.

Tony

Finly Owner
29th November 2010, 12:18 AM
thinking outside the square, how many keys do you have on your key ring. The ignition may be worn, as this could cause such a problem also. I do agree with Tony and Bob, start with all battery terminals and connections first.

Tim

beansathome
29th November 2010, 12:23 AM
thinking outside the square, how many keys do you have on your key ring. The ignition may be worn, as this could cause such a problem also. I do agree with Tony and Bob, start with all battery terminals and connections first.

Tim

with 1 of my cars u could unlock it with a paddle pop stic and start it with it 2 lol