PDA

View Full Version : Need urgent help

brando4x4
27th November 2010, 08:13 PM
I was changing my diff oil when part of the pump fell into the housing/center i have tried to get it out for about half an hour
with no success any suggestions
:confused:

YNOT
27th November 2010, 08:19 PM
BUGGER! If magnets and pieces of wire don't work then you don't have a lot of choice, you'll have to pop the centre out.

Tony

brando4x4
27th November 2010, 08:21 PM
yeah thats what i said
so how would i do that as i havn't done it before

YNOT
27th November 2010, 08:39 PM
Rear is easy, wheels off, brake callipers (including brackets) off -2 bolts,
disc rotars off,
then pop the axles out-6 nuts. When you have the 6 axle retainer nuts off put the wheel back on with 3 wheel nuts each done up about 4 or 5 turns. Use the wheel as a slide hammer to release the axles.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the 2 sway bar brackets to the diff housing, secure the sway bar up out of the way.
Remove the tailshaft at the diff flange and secure out of the way-4 bolts.
Remove the nuts holding the centre into the housing.
Unless you are a lot stronger than me, support the diff centre on a jack as you remove it, it's bloody heavy!

Front is much the same except one end of the drag link (the steering arm behind the diff) needs to be removed,
Wheel bearings need to be removed to access the CV joints.
CV joints will slide out easily but may need to be rotated to the right spot before they come out.
Front diff is just as heavy as the rear so again support it on a jack.

Tony

brando4x4
27th November 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks very much for the advice. Will probably start tomorrow. Of course it's the front, so a little more work

YNOT
27th November 2010, 08:58 PM
Where about's are you located?

Tony

the ferret
27th November 2010, 09:50 PM
Mate, you could try blasting a heap of high pressure air in through the filler hole, chase it around a bit and you may be able to send the bit down to the drain bung, a magnet may just get it, worth a try I think, before you pull the whole diff out.

brando4x4
28th November 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks mate we spent asnother hour on it and finally got it out
:icon_victory:

arinol
28th November 2010, 11:31 AM
congrats mate, good you didn't have to take the diffs apart although they come apart rather easily in patrols compared to american cars. and refill the diffs with new oil