PDA

View Full Version : Matching camper trailer rims & tyres to GU Patrol

08st
15th January 2013, 11:22 AM
Hi, I need to match my rims & tyres from camper trailer closely to the GU. Campertralier has 15'' rims & the GU has 285/70/17 tyres, Would i be better of going for 16'' rims on trailer maybe 285/75/16 so i could utelize the 2 spare tyres for both trailer & GU. Any advice would be great. Thankyou.

threedogs
15th January 2013, 11:25 AM
IMO the closer the match in diameter the better, even if you take tyres only no rims, lighter too.
I'm taking the 285s will fit under guards of trailer?

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 11:27 AM
If you go 16s then 16s on the GU too mate. Chase some 17s off eBay. You might pick up a set of GUIV rims and tyres for a good price on eBay.

jack
15th January 2013, 11:27 AM
Hi 08st,

Had the same question myself, have a look at this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15635-Matching-Tyres-between-GU-and-Jayco-Eagle-Offroad-Camper
Camper now has matching rims and tyres, saves an extra spare.

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 11:33 AM
Hi 08st,

Had the same question myself, have a look at this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15635-Matching-Tyres-between-GU-and-Jayco-Eagle-Offroad-Camper
Camper now has matching rims and tyres, saves an extra spare.

And looks swishooo. ;)

Pics! We need pics!!

jack
15th January 2013, 11:49 AM
Yeap pics on the way, still need to get lift sorted so looks a little odd.
Will load up tonight

lorrieandjas
15th January 2013, 11:51 AM
The only issue to consider is the total diameter of the wheel and tyre. For example I am having troubles getting 285/75/R16s on the new Johnnos I purchased which run 15x7 rims. I have 16x8s on the Patrol. One issue is the tent height goes out of skew because of the additional height. Also - because of the guard flare on the trailer the 16x8s will be too wide. Just something to consider. I might have to stick with running two sets.... :(

Jas

threedogs
15th January 2013, 12:06 PM
ROH monsoon are a close match to an 04 model OE mag, You'll see them on Ron Moons dual cab tourer,

jack
15th January 2013, 12:07 PM
As requested by MudRunnerTD, here's a pic of the matching wheels (I'm looking after them for you). Remember a 50mm lift still needs to be installed on the GU, that will even up the height easily.

Also attached a pic of my snorkel 'seal' from the airbox that I mentioned in an earlier post. Glad I found that now and not later.

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 12:46 PM
Looks Great mate! Nice one

TimE
15th January 2013, 01:07 PM
I run 16X8 Kings Steelies with 285X75X16 Dick Cepek FCIIs on the GU IV and Kimberley. Works fine for me.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/PatrolCamper-1-2.jpg

BearGUST
15th January 2013, 03:49 PM
I run 16X8 Kings Steelies with 285X75X16 Dick Cepek FCIIs on the GU IV and Kimberley. Works fine for me.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/PatrolCamper-1-2.jpg

Very impressive!

08st
16th January 2013, 12:43 PM
Yes they fit under the guards on campertrailer. I've also had 33x12.5R15 w/ M/T's MTZ from Landcruiser on trailer maybe that could be something to consider because they are a simalar size to the 17's on Patrol.

lorrieandjas
16th January 2013, 01:57 PM
Hey guys - I run 285/75/R16s on the Patrol with 16x8 rims. On the camper I can go to 16x7 rims but the 16x8 would be outside the guard as the 7s just have room. So I believe I would need to modify the guards on the camper (flare them)? Or am I on the wrong track?

Jas

jack
16th January 2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Jas,

Probably best to wait till it arrives and have a look but I would say modifying/flaring the guards would be easiest option, nice to have matching tryes all round. Another thing to consider is track width, mine is about 65mm wider on the trailer centre to centre so not an issue. I could imagine if it was substantially wider or narrower it could cause issues trying to straddle your wheel tracks in the muck.

lorrieandjas
16th January 2013, 02:26 PM
Hi mate - that's what I am thinking. In terms of the current tracking the trailer is pretty much bang on. Be interesting to measure when I get it - but the Engs from the manufacturer (and the distributor who is a good guy and who I've known for a while) reckon my wheels won't fit in the guards without modification.......

Jas

nissannewby
17th January 2013, 10:31 AM
Hi mate - that's what I am thinking. In terms of the current tracking the trailer is pretty much bang on. Be interesting to measure when I get it - but the Engs from the manufacturer (and the distributor who is a good guy and who I've known for a while) reckon my wheels won't fit in the guards without modification.......

Jas

As long as you keep the diameters the same you could still run a narrower set for the camper. I know that if its needed you may have to fit a wider spare to the trailer but it will get you out of trouble and there will be no driveline issues if fitted to the patrol if needed to.

93patrol
17th January 2013, 12:00 PM
as nissannewby said as long as the tyres overall end up at the same hieght it doesnt matter about width its only hieght differences that will cause mechanical dramas on your 4by.