PDA

View Full Version : Planning help needed for CSR

macca
15th January 2013, 07:25 AM
About 2 years a go our travel buddies and us decided to travel the Canning Stock Route.
We have been in the planning stage a bit more seriously since getting togeather in early December.
There are 9 vehicles going that has grown from the origional 5.
Its too big as far as Im concerened, but we will work with what we have and it will be fine.
They are all really good people with a common interest, and we have travveled with most of them.
What I'm trying to find out is the best place to shop for food, alcahol, fuel, and vehicle service in WA after exiting the Anne Beadell and heading to Willuna.
21 days on the CSR with fuel at 23 and 33 also shopping at 33 is known but leaving Willuna with enough food for the whole trip seems a better idea to me. Also having vehicles in top condition is important, engine oil change is probably due by then and dont want to carry oil then have to dispose of the waste.
Any tips would be really appreciated.

Maxhead
15th January 2013, 08:03 AM
Only tip I have is ENJOY!...and Yes I'm jealous...lol

threedogs
15th January 2013, 09:13 AM
Don't double up on spares spread the water and/or fuel so to speak.
Have a mate who just got back I'll ask him and get back here, must be heaps written on this trip.
pre order all fuel and any permits well in advance

pearcey
15th January 2013, 09:53 AM
Macca.
Did the Canning a couple of years ago, Towed a camper with no troubles, 7 vehicles, only had one small mechanical problem.
Did a trip to Newman in June where we crossed the Canning and topped up at well 33.All new tanks and pumps there, fuel$3.40 a lt..
But better still a shower $10. We took 21 days to do the Canning and found that we could have taken it a bit slower .Advice travel as light as possible
We ran tyres at 20 psi all the way with no flats. Go slow corrugations most of the 2000 ks and some can hurt real bad if you dont GO SLOW. Water was not a big problem we carried about 80 lts with plenty to spare. Food and fuel is available at Willuna and well 33 mostly basic stuff. Grog is avalible at Willuna but pricey
Give me a pm if you need any info as there is way to much for me to type here
If you take your time you will enjoy
Pearcey

threedogs
15th January 2013, 12:37 PM
Think thats the best bit of advice take your time and travel light, take a tyre repair kit and practice how to use it. Your repair manual, MAF cleaner

macca
15th January 2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys.
More interested in that bit between the end of the Anne Beadell and heading out on the Canning.
Are there alcahol restrictions?, are mechanics busy for the next 3 weeks and can not do an oil change?, IGA stores in rural WA are good, are they OK in that part of the country? Fuel we will get where ever and pay what ever it costs I suppose. The tanks will be full leaving Willuna no matter what.
We have completed a few trips between us all and have our head around the pre-ordering fuel / permits, spares, tools and how to use them stuff.
BUT it is good to be reminded and others may get some info for their trip that is valuable.
Been thinking about Redline Oils, supposed to be good for 100000klm, saves one hassle on a long trip like this.
We have a 40, 80, 79, 200, GU, GU, Landy, Amorak & 100 who has possibly dropped out so I have a parts buddy but no one else.
6 months to go and it will fly I am sure.

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Wow your going to have a great trip. Damn that list of cars though! Unfortunately because they are all different you are all on you own for spares and stuff! Damn! When I did the Madigan we had 3 patrols and a Hilux. Hilux had the trouble but the Patrols were well covered.

Good luck mate and I hope you have a great time.

pearcey
15th January 2013, 09:04 PM
G`day Macca.
I presume your going to Willuna via Laverton and Leonora, If so both have supermarkets and service facilities.
These places service the mining communities so most things are available

wildgu6
15th January 2013, 09:29 PM
Sounds like its gunna be an awsome adventure Macca, but unfortunately looks like you will have a lot of recoveries to carry out.
Noticed Pearcey offering info.... Dont do it.... lol.

Nah honestly Pearcey has been up and down and around this great country, he is one man that has been there done that and survived with many tales to tell, and so he should at his age hahhaha.
But seriously hes knows his shiz when it comes to trekin this great land. He would be very handy to have along, but if not to be his advice would be a definate bonus..

pearcey
15th January 2013, 09:43 PM
Gez Pete that rap is going to cost me a single malt for sure.
Any how if you need any thing Macca PM me your phone no and I`ll get back to you.
It`s a damn site easier to talk than for me to type.
Best of luck and you will enjoy even if we don't talk
Pearcey

macca
16th January 2013, 07:11 AM
Think thats the best bit of advice take your time and travel light, take a tyre repair kit and practice how to use it. Your repair manual, MAF cleaner

Whats a MAF?

Not that flash mate LOL

It`s a damn site easier to talk than for me to type. Pearcey

PM sent thanks Pearcey

Stropp
17th January 2013, 01:53 AM
Whats a MAF?

Don't have em on a 4.2 :)

macca
17th January 2013, 07:23 AM
Wild98 your "mate" Pearcey is full of great bits of advice and Info.
Had a yarn yesterday and got quite a few tips that we will now use and set my mind at rest about a few others.
Great to talk mate and I will be in touch with more questions without a doubt.

I am a fan of low tyre pressures and from what you said the message is not getting out to people using these tracks, they are making a mess of the ridge approaches.
A mate just crossed the Simpson and one of their group were in all sorts of bother in a Telstra Bodied Patrol. His tyres were at 32 and would not reduce pressures, when he finally let them down he couldnt believe how well his ute went!!! Tyre mechanics are full of good advice, but have they actually been off road, really off road?

threedogs
17th January 2013, 07:30 AM
If You're towing get your rear shock towers strengthened, best advice is always from someone who has just done it,
latest track conditions etc will be fellow travellers.

macca
17th January 2013, 07:40 AM
If You're towing get your rear shock towers strengthened.

MAF cleaner

John I'm old school, 4.2tdi with leaves. :thumbup:
No fancy enginge controls and was not aware the shock mounts on a leafy were an issue. Please correct me if I have the stick by the other end LOL :confused:

You are right on the money about advice from the wise and experienced and slow down, all the damage you read about is by people doing too many K's each day and not enough time to do the trip.

We have 1 trailer going , its behind the 80. They are in their 70's and camping is a lot easier for them with easy access that a trailer offers.

pearcey
17th January 2013, 10:03 AM
G`day Macca
We talked fuel filters yesterday and I remembered that with your 4`2 that there is a small gauze filter on the fuel in let to right at the injector pump. As it`s a bit difficult to get to, it might pay to get some practice and the right tools so if you do pick up some dirty fuel and you need to clean it you will know where and how to cope with it. Had to clean a mates on our Newman trip as after changing both the Dephi and genuine filters we still had trouble. After removal I found it was blocked with a wax like substance, cleaned it with Brake clean and its been good ever since.
Pearcey

macca
18th January 2013, 08:06 AM
G`day Macca
We talked fuel filters yesterday and I remembered that with your 4`2 that there is a small gauze filter on the fuel in let to right at the injector pump. As it`s a bit difficult to get to, it might pay to get some practice and the right tools so if you do pick up some dirty fuel and you need to clean it you will know where and how to cope with it. Had to clean a mates on our Newman trip as after changing both the Dephi and genuine filters we still had trouble. After removal I found it was blocked with a wax like substance, cleaned it with Brake clean and its been good ever since.
Pearcey
I had a look for that ages ago as there was something on here about it. But mine looks like it never had that filter. When I get home I will try to find thread. Someone posted not all engines had that filter.

pearcey
18th January 2013, 09:05 AM
G`day Macca.
If it`s got the filter you will find it inside the port where the banjo bolt screws in you will need a piece of wire with a small hook on the end to be able to get it out. Dropping of the washers on the banjo bolt or the filter can be frustrating to say the least. Best of luck mate

macca
18th January 2013, 04:32 PM
Tried the wire with a hook with no success. With look into this further!
Spoke to Capricorn Roadhouse today, they are doing fuel deliveries. Taking orders from February, all systems go for those that need fuel.

threedogs
18th January 2013, 07:01 PM
If you haven't already had your rear chassis and shock towers strengthened, I'd be looking at that as you are going to be pounded with courigations.
stick to the wheel tracks as mulga stakes on the edges just waiting

wildgu6
18th January 2013, 07:10 PM
Hey macca, stumbled across this, thought it might interest you,
http://www.australian-4x4.com.au/canning-stock-route-australia.html

pearcey
18th January 2013, 09:56 PM
Greetings Maaca.
I found a couple of photos of sunrise at Georgia bore
1 of the trees mentioned with the leaves surrounding the twig.
and 3 of some corrugations between Georgia bore and well23.
If you don`t find a filter under the banjo bolt it may have been removed and left out.
I would not be to worried about it.

macca
28th January 2013, 07:58 PM
Those photos are soooo good.
Will be so good to drive this track, can not wait.
Thanks Pearcy.

Spoke to Nicky at Capricorn RH last week, fuel is definately being delivered this year. She is in charge of it.
She said a 205ltre drum was $595.00 last year, she will let me know this years pricing when she sends the ordering forms in February.

macca
28th January 2013, 08:07 PM
My future son in law is a deisel mechanic, they use Conoco oils in their trucks, good for 40000klm (6 weeks).
In the workshop utes they run them longer (6 months) or 15000klm which ever comes 1st between changes.
He assures me it will handle a 6 week trip with no problems. He is supposed to be getting me a price for enough oil to do all our vehicles.
Redline is about $30.00 per litre but they say 20000klm in a 4.2 Patrol.
Still it means no oil changes on the road.

pearcey
28th January 2013, 09:11 PM
Macca
If that's the price this year that will be the lowest it`s been for years but beware if it`s at the fuel dump like in years gone by take your own pump as the one there is nearly always dirty and also there are some low life's who don`t mind helping them self to others drums. As I said when we spoke last year in June fuel was $3.40 a Lt and 3 year before it was $3.20 Hope the plannings going good for you only wish I was tagging along.
Pearcey

macca
29th January 2013, 07:10 AM
Pearcy we have one of these and a siphon as well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Transfer-Pump-1080LPH-280GPH-12v-RULE-IL280P-AMAZON-LVM105-/220906302956?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336f0aadec

http://www.theirrigationshop.com.au/shopping/proddetail.asp?prod=946&cat=10005

If the pump fails we can siphon into gerrys, then tip the drum to get it all.

pearcey
29th January 2013, 09:09 AM
Those pumps work a treat mate. know a couple of blokes with them and no troubles.

macca
29th January 2013, 02:52 PM
Pearcy we were going to drop it in the drum as is 38mm dia so will fit, is that how your mates use them?

pearcey
29th January 2013, 03:06 PM
Yer mate they just drop them in and away they go. they will go in some gerrycans as well.
One mate pumps it to a funnel that has a you beaut filter in it can`t remember the make bloody expensive but really good well worth the money. I`ll try and contact him but he`s away at the moment but should be back by the week end.

macca
29th January 2013, 07:26 PM
Good chance its a Mr Funnel
http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/Funnels/MrFunnel.html
We have 2 of the 45 ltr per minute with us on this trip

pearcey
29th January 2013, 08:32 PM
Well done Macca that's them excellent product. I`m told that you can`t wash them out,this is going by the instructions with the funnel.

macca
5th July 2013, 09:25 PM
7 more sleeps...................

This time next week if it aint packed it aint coming.