PDA

View Full Version : Time for new shockies

Ben-e-boy
14th January 2013, 06:16 PM
Gday

I after a set of new shocks for the ute as the offroad boss shocks stuffed it after about 10k km
I'm after top shelf stuff does any one know any good hardcore offroad suppliers for king or fox etc

Cheers

threedogs
14th January 2013, 06:21 PM
Where are you bene e , I'll use my contacts and get a price for you

Ben-e-boy
14th January 2013, 06:24 PM
I'm in QLD but aust wide will be fine

Thanks
Benny

threedogs
14th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Sending PM

Ben-e-boy
11th February 2013, 10:33 AM
My new shocks should be in the country very shortly, I ended up getting KING smoothies remote resovior 14inch travel rear 10 inch travel front....... Cant wait

taslucas
11th February 2013, 11:05 AM
Mmmmm dribble drool........

FanTapstic!

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2013, 05:40 PM
Well, I was finally able to pick up my new shocks yesterday. Cant wait to install them, I need to get some dust boots first.

Rear on the left. Front on the right

MudRunnerTD
23rd March 2013, 05:44 PM
Lucky lucky bastard!!!

Awesome mate! Still trying to get my GQ going so I can fit the Amadas. They will have nothing on your new smoothies though. Awesome stuff mate.

Winnie
23rd March 2013, 05:51 PM
Bringing them down to the workshop day to put them in my car? You're a good bloke!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2013, 05:56 PM
Lucky lucky bastard!!!

Awesome mate! Still trying to get my GQ going so I can fit the Amadas. They will have nothing on your new smoothies though. Awesome stuff mate.

Cheers I hope they are worth it.

I am yet to hear a single bad thing about the Amada's

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2013, 05:59 PM
Bringing them down to the workshop day to put them in my car? You're a good bloke!

You're game.... leaving me alone with your wagon. lmao I'll bleed your wallet dry lmfao

Winnie
23rd March 2013, 07:58 PM
You're game.... leaving me alone with your wagon. lmao I'll bleed your wallet dry lmfao

No no no I was told that there would be no charge.

Bloodyaussie
23rd March 2013, 08:01 PM
Bloody lovely Benny.... now when you can get down here to fit them up to my rig??

Dominator
23rd March 2013, 09:38 PM
Kings are that hot! I want. :D

Ben-e-boy
24th March 2013, 04:34 PM
Well I put the shocks in today and what a difference. WOW!!

I havnt changed the springs yet and ride still is a bit harsh, but the big difference is on the bigger bumps. The offroad boss shocks used to wallow about and the adjusters didnt make a difference.

I set a circuit around town and there is an off-camber piece of road with a 45 degree kink onto a bridge and the road levels up (quite sharp) at the apex of the kink/corner. With the old shocks I would come into the corner and the ute would wallow about half way into the other lane. This time it stuck and I put it to the verge of understeer, (on soft compound road tyres), I still went into the other lane slightly due to the speed but its a massive improvment.

Next I went to a dirt road which is nice and dry with marble-like gravel. I buried the throttle in 4th at 70km and left a 150m fish tail down the road, no axle tramp, YES.....WINNING! The rear end just squatted down nicely and held even when I regained traction, kept the boot into it hit 5th gear and backed off at 140km/h.

When I get back home next week I'll put the lighter springs in the front and start flexin her up...... Yeah happy days

macca86
24th March 2013, 05:20 PM
Go ben-e go. Flex like a champ need a boys camp 4x4 trip soon

Ben-e-boy
5th April 2013, 05:07 PM
I have put some lighter front spring in the front. I am definatly getting more up travel which is good on the 31s I may have clearance issues with the 35s but I'll get to that when I bolt them back on.
here is a flex shots
I am happy with how level it sits when its twisted.

Winnie
5th April 2013, 06:00 PM
Hahahaha sorry I just can't take your car seriously on those tyres..... don't worry they all said the same to me when I rocked up to Woods Point on my road tyres.

threedogs
5th April 2013, 06:14 PM
Great Flex Ben, better to be on the under steer side of things than over steer.
As most are oversteer

Ben-e-boy
5th April 2013, 06:30 PM
Hahahaha sorry I just can't take your car seriously on those tyres..... don't worry they all said the same to me when I rocked up to Woods Point on my road tyres.
haha neither can I. It looks stupid. It's all to lure you into a false sense of security lmao

Ben-e-boy
5th April 2013, 06:34 PM
Great Flex Ben, better to be on the under steer side of things than over steer.
As most are oversteer

I dont want too much understeer. I'll end up face first in a tree lol. I can hold it on the edge with some fine throttle control. But I still dont like how it reacts when I try to oversteer out of it. The lack of sway bars and practice come into it

threedogs
5th April 2013, 07:55 PM
practice as great feeling when back lets go and you can controll it ala speedway /rally style ,
though we here dont use the scandanavian flick much. I keep trying to do the 180

King_ady1
8th April 2013, 03:16 PM
Well, I was finally able to pick up my new shocks yesterday. Cant wait to install them, I need to get some dust boots first.

Rear on the left. Front on the right

hey man, love them. one of my shocks have just destroyed and im looking at a set of kings. just wondering how much they set u back, for the set (if u dont mind saying), and what size suspension lift u have for those sized shocks.

Ben-e-boy
9th April 2013, 09:12 AM
hey mate. The will set you back the best part of 2.5k. I was going to get the ones off the internet for 1600 but thought I would drop into kings at shailer park and have a look.
There is a massive difference between the aussie kings for a patrol and the internet(US) version for a patrol.
The resovior is 50%bigger, the hose and fittings are 50% bigger and there is considerable quality difference in the piston design. The internet pistons just look to be a run of the mill piston. While the aussie ones (although these are made to order in the US to aus spec) have extra ports drilled through the piston and each port has wells which look like they help direct oil through the ports. The quality of machining is very high. I would guess they are billet and not cast then machined.
I have a 4 inch lift. I wouldnt recommend the 14inch in the rear unless you have long arms. I would probably get 12inch travel and go for the 10inch in the front.